Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get to hawaii with BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by richardwft
There are a number of ways depending on your preferences, I’d include YVR and a BA A380 at least. AS can be very good. CX from JFK could be fun.
But again then you are putting quite a long segment on a narrowbody plane. Plus adding an extra connection to an already long journey.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wrp96
But again then you are putting quite a long segment on a narrowbody plane....
AS operate narrowbody planes with an excellent business class seat.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:41 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Make it easy on yourself. Fly from LHR to SEA nonstop then SEA to your choice of Hawaiian destination. I recommend KOA or LIH myself. Take the nice queen of the skies upstairs in J then relax in those comfy non-reclining fake J seats of AS. AS is a very friendly airline but the seating is only so so.
LWkitty likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:43 pm

Most comfort: DUB-DFW direct on AA, then DFW-HNL. Should be lie-flat all the way.

DUB too far? Looks like KIR-DUB-DFW-HNL works too. No lie flat on KIR-DUB

Most TPs: ORK-AMS-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL and something similar for return.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
we are doing LHR LAX on airmiles; overnighting in LAX and doing AA domestic first to Maui to arrive in the island at lunchtime (civilised)

Rtn HNL LAX connecting to BA to LHR straight through
ijkh likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Im planning an Hawaii trip too. But in y. I got Arn-hel-Lhr-Dfw-hnl so far.
Which Island is the best for a first time visitor anyway? Any recommendations?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by W213Sal
are any of the west coast ones guaranteed lie flat? I think most of them are domestic first/main cabin extra/econ with AA, so no flagship first like from JFK to LAX/SFO unfortunately
Probably LHR-DFW-HNL on AA. Believe that'll hit lie-flat all the way. Doesn't maximise TPs though.

As far as I can recall there's no lie-flat from US west coast on AA (wasn't for me on LHR and PHX routes, that's for sure!). Don't think even Alaska offers it from SEA (as a codeshare) - but this may have changed more recently?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
My understanding is that this is only with three class service, so JFK-LAX. not with domestic first on two-class planes (PHL/CLT/MIA-LAX).
Yep - always ignore the "domestic first" branding and just use the booking code of the segment. F and A only occur on Flagship Transcon routes, I believe - JFK-SFO/LAX, BOS-LAX, and I think maybe a 777 MIA-LAX rotation at the moment too?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi
Im planning an Hawaii trip too. But in y. I got Arn-hel-Lhr-Dfw-hnl so far.
Which Island is the best for a first time visitor anyway? Any recommendations?
Have only been to the Big Island (KOA / HLO), but currently looking at going back there rather than visit any of the others. As the name implies, it's considerably bigger than the other islands, so if exploring the place is your thing, there are more options there. I have a feeling it's also a lot less touristy and less overrun than Hawaii (HNL).
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Have been to Big several times, Maui and Honolulu. Recommend Big over the others
dcmike, oopsz and Nephoi like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
UK/EU - USA east coast - USA west coast - Hawaii is the best way to maximise TPs ie 3 x long haul flights. Going direct from DUB to USA is good as you clear US immigration in DUB and arrive in US as a domestic arrival - which may mean you can plan on a shorter connection. DFW-HNL has flat beds but you get fewer TPs (on the east coast to DFW leg). Don't think you get TPs on Alaska(?) DUB-PHL-LAX-HNL would be pre-clearance and flat beds as far as LAX and 840 TPs, but you'd still need 4xBA flights for status.

Depends what you are trying to achieve - DUB-LHR-DFW-HNL, with 2 legs on BA, would get you to Silver, and if you book it as a BA ticket you could possibly upgrade the transatlantic leg to First with avios.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
We did DUB then BA1-nightstop-JFK-LAX-HNL with a lunchtime start from JFK (AA3?) and a 2100 arrival in HNL. Return was HNL-LAX-nightstop-LHR-DUB. The HNL-LAX was a lunchtime start so no need for the lie flat. worst part was the wait at DUB for our flight back to UK.

The night stops were invaluable
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by W213Sal
I'll be 30.5 doing the trip so leaving my youth behind me!! I could start in Dub, extra 20 TPs is always handy (maybe we'll start getting 40TPs on EI codeshares since they've started selling J/middle seat blocked/AerSpace)
If you are going to be in Dublin, take a flight from Dublin directly to the USA rather than backtrack to London - less journey time and US immigration and Customs clearances will be performed in Dublin. This means that the connection in USA is a lot less of a hassle and bags will be able to be checked all the way through to final destination in USA and not collected / rechecked enroute
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
We did this trip at the beginning of this year. And to echo what others have said upthread, there are many choices.

We did OSL-LHR-PHL-LAX-KOA (on the Island of Hawaii). And KOA-LAX-NYC-LHR-OSL on return. We paid £1800 in J (flew out in December so a decent fare ) for 920TPs. BA and AA flights throughout.

The reason is that we picked this was (A) routes that gave 140TP every time (DTW-HNL doesn't, for example). and (B) flight times that helped the journey run smoothly. I think we did it well (but have no personal comparisons).

Out: LHR-PHL day flight - overnight PHL (allowed for relatively painless US immigration, even allowing for a 3 hour delay on take off) then PHL-LAX-KOA in a day (arrive IIRC 9pm at night).
Back: KOA-LAX day flight. overnight on the intercontinental to JFK, day in NYC, overnight to LHR (and home as we booked the LHR-OSL the next day).

The 5-hour AA flights on non-lie flats was perfectly fine (eg PHL-LAX) so I wouldn't agonise over those if in the day.

[We also did some island hopping whilst there and would recommend followed by Kauai (LIH) - and to also think about an open jaw eg into KOA back from LIH or OGG .]
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
We did this trip at the beginning of this year. And to echo what others have said upthread, there are many choices.

We did OSL-LHR-PHL-LAX-KOA (on the Island of Hawaii). And KOA-LAX-NYC-LHR-OSL on return. We paid £1800 in J (flew out in December so a decent fare ) for 920TPs. BA and AA flights
Did you check if you could add HEL also here for 160 more TP? I am looking at a HNL TP run myself from OSL but need to add HEL for more TP. I also try my best to use BA marketed flights for more Avios (I am BA Gold)

I guess I will see if I find OSL-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL. That would be 40+80+140+140+40 * 2 so 880 TP? Or is LAX-HNL 140 TP? Then it is 1080TP return trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.