Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get to hawaii with BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Best way to get to hawaii with BA

thinking of heading there in July next year, what's the best route from UK/IE in terms of max tp + max comfort (is it possible to go lie flat the whole way?)
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by W213Sal
thinking of heading there in July next year, what's the best route from UK/IE in terms of max tp + max comfort (is it possible to go lie flat the whole way?)
I'd say fly in First or Club to the West Coast of the USA, and then onwards from there. Flights to Hawaii can be had from 25k Avios (round trip) with AA from the West Coast I believe.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteveWhite88
I'd say fly in First or Club to the West Coast of the USA, and then onwards from there. Flights to Hawaii can be had from 25k Avios (round trip) with AA from the West Coast I believe.
are any of the west coast ones guaranteed lie flat? I think most of them are domestic first/main cabin extra/econ with AA, so no flagship first like from JFK to LAX/SFO unfortunately
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Not sure about TP.

But based on my rough research, if you want lie flat all the way, you will have to do LHR-DFW-HNL, which DFW-HNL is operated by AA's 772. There are not too many HNL flights having lie flat that works with BAEC.
tynmar and thebigben like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

If its TPs then DUB-LHR-NYC-LAX-HNL? That would yield 920 TPs return in J. Or try ex INV whenever the window for your flights are bookable.

Not sure if theres anything over there but maybe have a look at the TP Run Thread but it's a little bit still out to book.
nancypants and W213Sal like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If you want guaranteed lie flat, then flying into DFW and then connecting to the DFW-HNL/OGG flights would be about the only guaranteed option. I haven't checked recently, but that itinerary used to require overnighting at DFW to be able to make the connection, so West Coast-Hawaii non-lie flat may be your only option if you want to do a same day trip.
T8191 and W213Sal like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, so many options depending on the OP’s youth and need for TPs.

Our last trip was JER-UK-DUB//DUB-CLT-LAX//LAX-OGG. So 2 night-stops outbound, and a heavy 36-hour run home. I could do it in my early 70’s, so not impossible - just a bit tiring

Oh, and a lot of Domestic First without lie-flat.

c. 1,000 TPs, IIRC, which was useful! TR on our last OGG trip in my signature if you want to dig into details.

Edit = ahh, starting in Cork. Delete some TPs and one night stop. Other suggestions sound better!
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Jul 18, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
JAL operates 787s on NRT-HNL, with lie-flat in J. Obviously plenty of options to get to Tokyo with oneworld (JL, CX, BA, QR(?))
LCY8737 and W213Sal like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:35 pm
Suspended

There are a number of ways depending on your preferences, I’d include YVR and a BA A380 at least. AS can be very good. CX from JFK could be fun.
nancypants and W213Sal like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, so many options depending on the OP’s youth and need for TPs.

Our last trip was JER-UK-DUB//DUB-CLT-LAX//LAX-OGG. So 2 night-stops outbound, and a heavy 36-hour run home. I could do it in my early 70’s, so not impossible - just a bit tiring

Oh, and a lot of Domestic First without lie-flat.

c. 1,000 TPs, IIRC, which was useful! TR on our last OGG trip in my signature if you want to dig into details.

Edit = ahh, starting in Cork. Delete some TPs and one night stop. Other suggestions sound better!
I'll be 30.5 doing the trip so leaving my youth behind me!! I could start in Dub, extra 20 TPs is always handy (maybe we'll start getting 40TPs on EI codeshares since they've started selling J/middle seat blocked/AerSpace)

I'm thinking forget the lie flat on the final leg and go ORK/DUB-LHR-JFK overnight in LAX then LAX - HON

as an aside, it's still conflicting 210 vs 140 TPs on transcon F, can anyone confirm? I.E. if transatlantic is booked A and transcon F we still get 210+210?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I think there might be the occasional A330 on PHX-HNL, which would allow lie flat and optimum TPs - you’d need to find it though as this is merely from the odd visit to the AA forum.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'll be 30.5 doing the trip so leaving my youth behind me!! I could start in Dub, extra 20 TPs is always handy (maybe we'll start getting 40TPs on EI codeshares since they've started selling15 J/middle seat blocked/AerSpace)

I'm thinking forget the lie flat on the final leg and go ORK/DUB-LHR-JFK overnight in LAX then LAX - HON

as an aside, it's still conflicting 210 vs 140 TPs on transcon F, can anyone confirm? I.E. if transatlantic is booked A and transcon F we still get 210+210?
Keep in mind that the 'last leg' LAX-HNL is 6 hours long, which is the same as your JFK-LAX time and 75% the length of LHR-JFK, both of which you are buying layflats/business for. AA's non layflat service isn't anything special, I'd reconsider the DFW if the price works.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You really need to balance the overall trip vs. the comfort of any segment. DFW is the only "guaranteed" lie flat service. But, with the overnight and out-of-the-way routing, one has to wonder how much it is worth it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
...snip...

My understanding is that this is only with three class service, so JFK-LAX. not with domestic first on two-class planes (PHL/CLT/MIA-LAX).
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: QF WP
You could do something truly horrendous like LHR-SIN-SYD-HNL (or LHR-PER-SYD-HNL)- via SIN would give more TPs if you opt for 1st. Either would guarantee lie flats all the way

however I think i’d rather saw off my own foot than do those flights

(ETA in BA F LHR/SIN/SYD 240+240, QF F LHR/SIN/SYD 240+210, +210 for QF F SYD-HNL, 660-690 e/w)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.