Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA landing at Skiathos

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:01 am
Original Poster

BA landing at Skiathos

Wow. (And I didn't even know BA flies to Skiathos!)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...tm_medium=Feed
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Flyertalk policy is against "bare links" as above, it's best to give some more commentary for the benefit of those unable or unwilling to click on random hyperlinks. In this case it's a non story in London's Evening Standard, showing a video from the town end of the runway of a BACF aircraft coming into Skiathos.

Previous photos and videos are here:

BA to operate London City-Skiathos
AAtticus and mtikky like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Much covered on PPRuNe with professional pilot inputs over the last few days ...

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...hits-wall.html
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Much covered on PPRuNe with professional pilot inputs over the last few days ...

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...hits-wall.html
Interesting - seems to be quite a few on there expecting this landing to be investigated.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
pprune is the correct place for the discussion about this. Helped, no doubt, by the Aviation experts in Murdoch's "The Sun"
T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Lowly Blue
Originally Posted by aristoph
Interesting - seems to be quite a few on there expecting this landing to be investigated.
As does at least one person on here, however the considered response (#53) on that site - from an ex-colleague of mine - would seem to me to cover the situation adequately.
T8191, nancypants and Globaliser like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Bellerophon
As does at least one person on here, however the considered response (#53) on that site - from an ex-colleague of mine - would seem to me to cover the situation adequately.
Runway 02 at Skiathos is a nasty short narrow uphill runway surrounded by mountains. Because of the width and gradient of the runway the visual cues are rather different. I cannot tell from the photos whether the aircraft was low or not, but BA has an internal monitoring system which will pick up and deal with anything out of the ordinary.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found this post/image interesting. OK, probably not viewed from the correct glidepath, but ... No runway designator or ‘piano keys’, and where’s the touch-down zone markings?

https://www.pprune.org/10520044-post40.html

eeek!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A Google image search would suggest give or take a few inches this event isn't at all unusual there.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
No it’s not unusual at all for that runway. TUI used to run 757’s into there (I think somebody still does), you can imagine what that’s like.

The runway location is literally the only suitable patch of land on the island. The approach past Skiathos Town can be a bit disconcerting if you’re not expecting it.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just 250’ shorter than the JER runway.

hmmmm.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The top end of the runway ends on a beach. We went all the way around on the back of a motorbike many years ago.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
The top end of the runway ends on a beach.
It looks not so different from SXM, where heavies need every foot of runway and will take off the tops of your beach umbrellas on final.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.