BA to BA transfer at Manchester

Old Jul 18, 19, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Priority Club Platinum
BA to BA transfer at Manchester

If anyone can help I would be grateful.

I am looking to do a same day trip LHR - MAN - LHR but likely NOT a back to back due to price of the flights.

I remember that you cannot get access to the departure area (and hence the lounge) until 5 hours before you fly. I think it is 5 hours but my time at MAN would be 10 hours. Which is fine if I could get in the lounge as I can work.

My question is, when you arrive as domestic from Heathrow on BA can you stay airside and go straight to the lounge or do you have to go land-side meaning I would have to wait to be allowed back in? Unfortunately I cannot remember what happens when you arrive at Manchester - I just remember once getting there early and having to find somewhere land-side for a while

Many thanks

BONDY
Old Jul 18, 19, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Wow, no amount of money would make me want to spend 10 hours at MAN !

Can't you do it another day when the flights are cheaper for a quick connection?
Old Jul 18, 19, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
if this is for points or to get your eligible flights i would agree with bhbloke, look elsewhere and see if you can do a b2b for similar money! usual suspects would be EDI, BHD, NCL, LBA, GLA, ABZ, INV, AMS, LUX etc.

alternative if you have to go to MAN is get out of the airport and get the train in to the city centre - there is plenty to keep you occupied there.
george77300 likes this.

Programs: BA Blue, Avios, Accor Basic, IHG Gold
Surely with ten hours to kill, you could take the train into the City Centre for a few of them? There are a couple of WeWork locations in the centre where you could spend a few hours?
irishguy28 likes this.

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
No you can't stay airside, you will need to exit and go through security again.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
This thread is your friend and IIRC there are some detailed posts about MAN if you search the thread rather than just the wiki

Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Old Jul 18, 19, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
When I did LHR - MAN and then a same day later flight MAN - LHR on 8th October 2017, I just followed the not-obvious connections signs and showed my BA App to the person on the barrier.

They seemed surprised I was going back to London but let me through. I didn't go through security, I stayed airside. And I went to the lounge.

It may have changed in two years though.
KeaneJohn and george77300 like this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by parklife View Post
This is incorrect, as you disembark from the aircraft and go down the steps as you exit the jetbridge turn right instead of left and walk a short distance following signs for flight transfers. You then have to go back up a level using a lift or stairs and it will take you to the boarding gates. You will come to the biometric details check desk. Present your return boarding pass and ask for your photo to be taken for the biometrics and they will do this for you. You can then go back through to the departures for the shops, food court and lounge. As others have said even without MAN airport security 10 hrs is a long time to spend anywhere and I love airports and lounges. Please consider other locations as mentioned.
Old Jul 18, 19, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by dpfs View Post
When I did LHR - MAN and then a same day later flight MAN - LHR on 8th October 2017, I just followed the not-obvious connections signs and showed my BA App to the person on the barrier.

They seemed surprised I was going back to London but let me through. I didn't go through security, I stayed airside. And I went to the lounge.

It may have changed in two years though.
Maybe I am wrong then, I wasn't allowed to do this!
Old Jul 18, 19, 7:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I had a BA to Loganair connection at MAN a few months ago, using the "awkward" gate - the one most problematic for back to back since it is shared with the corridor from security and thus roped off temporarily to ensure passengers go landside. The Loganair flight was BA codeshare / 125 and there was no issue - just a bit of waiting - about staying airside and then using the lounge. The Menzies ground agent said they were short of staff so could I please wait until boarding was over, which only took a few minutes, and then I was scanned into the biometric capture point by Boots.

The point about that gate is that it doesn't have access to the Connections channel referenced above, so as difficult as it gets.

But yes it's not the best location, EDI and GLA are usually more cost effective due to competition. NCL is the best of the lot.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post

This is incorrect, as you disembark from the aircraft and go down the steps as you exit the jetbridge turn right instead of left and walk a short distance following signs for flight transfers. You then have to go back up a level using a lift or stairs and it will take you to the boarding gates. You will come to the biometric details check desk. Present your return boarding pass and ask for your photo to be taken for the biometrics and they will do this for you. You can then go back through to the departures for the shops, food court and lounge. As others have said even without MAN airport security 10 hrs is a long time to spend anywhere and I love airports and lounges. Please consider other locations as mentioned.
I stand corrected! A while since I tried to do this, I wasn't allowed.
Old Jul 18, 19, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
I stand corrected! A while since I tried to do this, I wasn't allowed.
​​​​​​​At MAN nothing really surprises me!
Old Jul 18, 19, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
I recently did LHR - MAN - LCY - not as a back to back, but as a return connection at Manchester - and was able to exit through gate 142 and the flight connection corridor back into the departure hall, albeit with the same odd look from security.

The lounge at MAN isn't that special, and lacked in power points when I was there.
KeaneJohn and george77300 like this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 8:10 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
T3 at MAN is a hellhole and the Galleries lounge is not comfortable for an hour, let alone 10! A friend once had a 7 hour connection at MAN and asked me for advice. He took a cab to Styal country park and had a highly enjoyable afternoon.
Old Jul 18, 19, 8:10 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
You can indeed stay airside

I did it 3 times last year inc b2b

More info on this thread Back to back at MAN?
Tiffywren likes this.

Search this Thread