Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GLA-LHR-SIN July 2020 - WTP-CW Upgrade and Fees???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GLA-LHR-SIN July 2020 - WTP-CW Upgrade and Fees???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb GLA-LHR-SIN July 2020 - WTP-CW Upgrade and Fees???

Hi, Just joined the forum after reading many posts over the last few months while planning our trip to Singapore. My family of 4 plan to travel over form the UK with BA next July, dates are restricted so I believe we are flying out on an off peak day and returning on a peak day. Once flights are released, I plan to book World Traveller Plus return flights with cash (around £5,000??), then hope to upgrade to Club World for the return flight using Avios. I calculate the Avios to be 35,000 each (so 140,000 in total). Can anyone give me an approx cash fee that i will need to pay on top of Avios points - I am sure I read somewhere that BA agents often miscalculate it and that the changes & fees between WTP and CW are similar so should only be approx £30 per person... any advice would be great.. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT!

You can check the extra cash required for the upgrade by pricing up the same flights on ba.com for cash in WTP and for CW and comparing the figure given for taxes/fees/charges.

For your example of a GLA-LHR-SIN rtn it should be about £553 per person in WTP, and £656 in CW. So the extra cash required should be around £103 per person.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks - when i did a quote for other dates for WTP and CW, the taxes breakdown section seemed to give the same amount of tax... it was £176 per adult and £43.50 per child, which is £439... ?? Sorry if I am being dumb...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Poppy132
Thanks - when i did a quote for other dates for WTP and CW, the taxes breakdown section seemed to give the same amount of tax... it was £176 per adult and £43.50 per child, which is £439... ?? Sorry if I am being dumb...
I think you are just looking at the APD tax there. You need to look at all the taxes, fees and carrier charges. For example, a WTP rtn for GLA-LHR-SIN would have taxes/fees/charges of:

Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom £176.00
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom £43.50
Airport Development Levy - Singapore £6.30
Aviation Tax - Singapore £3.60
Passenger Service Charge - Singapore £20.80
Carrier imposed charge £303.00
----------------------------------------------
Total charges £553.20
Going to CW it would be:

Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom £176.00
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom £43.50
Airport Development Levy - Singapore £6.30
Aviation Tax - Singapore £3.60
Passenger Service Charge - Singapore £20.80
Carrier imposed charge £406.00
----------------------------------------------
Total charges £656.20
So you pay the difference between the two totals per adult, most of the difference is the carrier imposed surcharge rather than any tax or official fee.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Fab this is really helpful.. thanks.. so looking to pay an extra £400 for the 4 of us (unless it’s less for the kids)..

I’ve never used avios to upgrade before, normally just straight redemption so just want to be prepared to pay the right amount.

We had originally planned to pay WT then use avios to upgrade to WTP but I’ve learned through all the sites & forum that this isn’t easy or good value. So decided to go with WTP cash booking. A bed on way home will be lovely..

thanks again
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Are there many dates with 4 Club World reward seats available? Have you been reviewing so you know the likelihood? It can be challenging getting that on one - luckily there's two daily SINs a couple of hours apart if you needed to split your party to 2 x 2
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:39 am
Original Poster

I’ve been looking at random dates by doing a fake “book via avios” search. For a similar flight this July there are 6 avail.. keeping an eye on it. We’ll be disappointed if we can’t but at least we can try ..
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

A warm welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board Poppy132.

It's so much better value and a huge jump to upgrade from WT+ to CW rather than from economy to WT+ and some great advice from KARFA and also mikefly there ^

As soon as you see any availability to upgrade using Avios for the return book them asap as they will no doubt disappear and probably very quickly would be my thoughts. I hope you get those seats as the flight back from there is quite long and a flat bed is a million times better than any WTP seat

For your info there's many a thread on numerous BA and oneworld matters which you can find in the BA Forum Dashboard which might help re your flights. Best seats, airport and lounge threads, food photos etc etc.

BA Forum Dashboard
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I’ll have a look.. as soon as flights are released I’ll get booking, it’ll prob be towards the end of the month for the dates 2nd to 14th July. I hope to book & upgrade at the same time, but I know although that’s the ideal scenario, the reward seats might not be available then. I’ve signed up for alerts from BArewardfinder.com for the month of July 2020. But I’ll also check daily if I need to. Is there a certain time of day they get released to reward seats or is it random??
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

BA would release any seats at T-355 days or at anytime inbetween then and the day of the flight. IIRC after midnlght/0100 but I've personally seen seats being added after 1400/1500 hours before.

Of course there is no guarantee any would be released or if the suggestion by mikefly could work that's an option too, if available. I can't advise strongly enough as soon as you see any call up.

You only get 5 posts as a first day limit so something to bear in mind until tomorrow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.