Hat trick! (The 2.30-2.59 delays)

Reply

Old Jul 16, 19, 4:25 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,267
Hat trick! (The 2.30-2.59 delays)

Alex and Willie must be very proud of the airlineís maintenance work: third mechanical delay leading to arrival between 2h30 and 2h59 late thereby maximising passengersí inconvenience whilst minimising payouts... genius.

More seriously, Iím genuinely curious whether Iíve had a really past two years or if there are increasing issues with long haul planes as Iíve had far more long haul mechanicals (on 747, 777, and 787) in that period than ever before on ba. Is there any published stat on mechanical delays?

By contrast whilst Iíve had short haul delays due to other reasons (rotations, atc, etc) Iíve had only one mechanical delay on the 32s an embraers in that period despite their accounting for a majority of my ba flights.

PS: and even more seriously, obviously safety matters far more than timeliness let alone compensation, itís just that as long as youíll have a mechanical anyway. Some lengths of it feel even unluckier than others...
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 12:24 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,392
That's rough. Every mechanical delay I've had has either been <60 mins (eg 767 engine wouldn't start at LCA) or >5h netting me full compo.
ENTP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 1:29 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 1,807
Surely it is good that the regulation is having its desired effect by ensuring BA is incentivised to keep delays to no more than a few hours. That time being what the regulators viewed as an acceptable amount of leeway in the aviation industry to not warrant compensation.
TabTraveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 1:56 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Manchester, UK.
Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Posts: 147
Is it better to have 200 people delayed for five hours, or 400 delayed for 2.5?

Rhetorical question, though the answer is clear from a financial standpoint. :-)
internetplumber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 2:04 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Posts: 10,334
Originally Posted by TabTraveller View Post
Surely it is good that the regulation is having its desired effect by ensuring BA is incentivised to keep delays to no more than a few hours. That time being what the regulators viewed as an acceptable amount of leeway in the aviation industry to not warrant compensation.
except in the original wording of the regulation there was no compensation for delays only duty of care,

it wad the European Court of Justice that ruled delays should get compensation and just used the duty of care times.
UKtravelbear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 2:17 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, AirBnb 700x Platinum, AC (never again)
Posts: 251
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
arrival between 2h30 and 2h59 late thereby maximising passengersí inconvenience whilst minimising payouts... genius.
I've had 2 of these in the last year, including one where we were arriving shorthall at 2h56 and the plane stopped at a remote stand and had the door flung open at 2h58 to only wait 20 minutes for buses to arrive.
Not much you can do unfortunately...
orbitmic likes this.
YacozA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 2:35 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Posts: 10,334
Originally Posted by YacozA View Post
I've had 2 of these in the last year, including one where we were arriving shorthall at 2h56 and the plane stopped at a remote stand and had the door flung open at 2h58 to only wait 20 minutes for buses to arrive.
Not much you can do unfortunately...
Yes there is - put in a claim.

The courts have ruled that it is not the time the doors open matter but the time doors open AND passengers can leave.

Can't remember the case but I think it's listed in the wiki of the main EU261 thread
YacozA and etiene like this.
UKtravelbear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 2:58 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Alex and Willie must be very proud of the airline’s maintenance work: third mechanical delay leading to arrival between 2h30 and 2h59 late thereby maximising passengers’ inconvenience whilst minimising payouts... genius.
I have had a few mechanical delays of this duration recently
braiden9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 3:38 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue Peon, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 599
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Yes there is - put in a claim.

The courts have ruled that it is not the time the doors open matter but the time doors open AND passengers can leave.

Can't remember the case but I think it's listed in the wiki of the main EU261 thread
I'd be interested in this, as I had a similar experience on FR last Summer. When I put in originally they just blanked it, and given the easy payout I got on the outbound I didn't bother following up because I thought that doors open was all that mattered [I videoed the doors open/no-one leaving situation for exactly this reason though]. The case doesn't seem to be in the wiki AFAICT though, so if you or anybody else can surface it that would be great.
etiene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 3:48 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Flatland
Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Posts: 5,303
From https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/services/air-travel_en

How is the length of the delay determined for the purpose of payment of compensation?
A flight is deemed to have officially arrived at its destination only when the doors open and passengers are permitted to leave the aircraft. This was decided by the Court of Justice of the EU in September 2014 in the case of Germanwings GmbH v Ronny Henning, Case C-452/13.
flatlander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 4:17 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Posts: 2,662
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
More seriously, Iím genuinely curious whether Iíve had a really past two years or if there are increasing issues with long haul planes as Iíve had far more long haul mechanicals (on 747, 777, and 787) in that period than ever before on ba. Is there any published stat on mechanical delays?

By contrast whilst Iíve had short haul delays due to other reasons (rotations, atc, etc) Iíve had only one mechanical delay on the 32s an embraers in that period despite their accounting for a majority of my ba flights.
There could be some logic to this trend being not just chance - the 747s and 777s that make up the backbone of BA's long haul fleet continue to get older and older on average, with the majority of new frames added over recent years being 788/789s which have obviously been beset with problems. I imagine the number of mechanical incidents per long haul BA frame has increased over recent years just because they're now older on average (and the newer ones are problematic Dreamliners). Hopefully when A350 deliveries start in earnest it makes a difference.

Then again, maybe you've just been very unlucky!
orbitmic likes this.
lost_in_translation is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 4:30 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Exec Gold; Accor Le Club Gold
Posts: 95
I had two recent experiences at Denver where we landed only a few minutes late but the baggage arrived on the belt in one case after an hour's wait and in the second case after four hours wait (due to lightning strikes visible from the apron/ramp).

I was thinking to myself that this inconvenience is almost certainly not covered by EU261 since we had arrived and disembarked but to me made no difference as I couldn't realistically leave the airport!
LondonTechTraveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 10:32 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,267
Originally Posted by TabTraveller View Post
Surely it is good that the regulation is having its desired effect by ensuring BA is incentivised to keep delays to no more than a few hours. That time being what the regulators viewed as an acceptable amount of leeway in the aviation industry to not warrant compensation.
Ah! If that's the power of the regulation, then I sure hope that the next iteration will bring the threshold for compensation down to 1 hour so we all get moving faster!
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 11:07 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK - BHD
Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-S; HH-D
Posts: 867
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Alex and Willie must be very proud of the airlineís maintenance work: third mechanical delay leading to arrival between 2h30 and 2h59 late thereby maximising passengersí inconvenience whilst minimising payouts... genius.
Sounds to me like BA have been taking lessons from FlyBe...
diamond club freeloader is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 19, 11:55 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 246
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Ah! If that's the power of the regulation, then I sure hope that the next iteration will bring the threshold for compensation down to 1 hour so we all get moving faster!
More likely for the time frames to be doubled, giving the airline more time to resolve issues.
JFX1764 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread