Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hat trick! (The 2.30-2.59 delays)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Hat trick! (The 2.30-2.59 delays)

Alex and Willie must be very proud of the airline’s maintenance work: third mechanical delay leading to arrival between 2h30 and 2h59 late thereby maximising passengers’ inconvenience whilst minimising payouts... genius.

More seriously, I’m genuinely curious whether I’ve had a really past two years or if there are increasing issues with long haul planes as I’ve had far more long haul mechanicals (on 747, 777, and 787) in that period than ever before on ba. Is there any published stat on mechanical delays?

By contrast whilst I’ve had short haul delays due to other reasons (rotations, atc, etc) I’ve had only one mechanical delay on the 32s an embraers in that period despite their accounting for a majority of my ba flights.

PS: and even more seriously, obviously safety matters far more than timeliness let alone compensation, it’s just that as long as you’ll have a mechanical anyway. Some lengths of it feel even unluckier than others...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
That's rough. Every mechanical delay I've had has either been <60 mins (eg 767 engine wouldn't start at LCA) or >5h netting me full compo.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Surely it is good that the regulation is having its desired effect by ensuring BA is incentivised to keep delays to no more than a few hours. That time being what the regulators viewed as an acceptable amount of leeway in the aviation industry to not warrant compensation.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Is it better to have 200 people delayed for five hours, or 400 delayed for 2.5?

Rhetorical question, though the answer is clear from a financial standpoint. :-)
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Surely it is good that the regulation is having its desired effect by ensuring BA is incentivised to keep delays to no more than a few hours. That time being what the regulators viewed as an acceptable amount of leeway in the aviation industry to not warrant compensation.
except in the original wording of the regulation there was no compensation for delays only duty of care,

it wad the European Court of Justice that ruled delays should get compensation and just used the duty of care times.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
arrival between 2h30 and 2h59 late thereby maximising passengers’ inconvenience whilst minimising payouts... genius.
I've had 2 of these in the last year, including one where we were arriving shorthall at 2h56 and the plane stopped at a remote stand and had the door flung open at 2h58 to only wait 20 minutes for buses to arrive.
Not much you can do unfortunately...
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by YacozA
I've had 2 of these in the last year, including one where we were arriving shorthall at 2h56 and the plane stopped at a remote stand and had the door flung open at 2h58 to only wait 20 minutes for buses to arrive.
Not much you can do unfortunately...
Yes there is - put in a claim.

The courts have ruled that it is not the time the doors open matter but the time doors open AND passengers can leave.

Can't remember the case but I think it's listed in the wiki of the main EU261 thread
YacozA and etiene like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Alex and Willie must be very proud of the airline’s maintenance work: third mechanical delay leading to arrival between 2h30 and 2h59 late thereby maximising passengers’ inconvenience whilst minimising payouts... genius.
I have had a few mechanical delays of this duration recently
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yes there is - put in a claim.

The courts have ruled that it is not the time the doors open matter but the time doors open AND passengers can leave.

Can't remember the case but I think it's listed in the wiki of the main EU261 thread
I'd be interested in this, as I had a similar experience on FR last Summer. When I put in originally they just blanked it, and given the easy payout I got on the outbound I didn't bother following up because I thought that doors open was all that mattered [I videoed the doors open/no-one leaving situation for exactly this reason though]. The case doesn't seem to be in the wiki AFAICT though, so if you or anybody else can surface it that would be great.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
From https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/services/air-travel_en

How is the length of the delay determined for the purpose of payment of compensation?
A flight is deemed to have officially arrived at its destination only when the doors open and passengers are permitted to leave the aircraft. This was decided by the Court of Justice of the EU in September 2014 in the case of Germanwings GmbH v Ronny Henning, Case C-452/13.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: Some
More seriously, I’m genuinely curious whether I’ve had a really past two years or if there are increasing issues with long haul planes as I’ve had far more long haul mechanicals (on 747, 777, and 787) in that period than ever before on ba. Is there any published stat on mechanical delays?

By contrast whilst I’ve had short haul delays due to other reasons (rotations, atc, etc) I’ve had only one mechanical delay on the 32s an embraers in that period despite their accounting for a majority of my ba flights.
There could be some logic to this trend being not just chance - the 747s and 777s that make up the backbone of BA's long haul fleet continue to get older and older on average, with the majority of new frames added over recent years being 788/789s which have obviously been beset with problems. I imagine the number of mechanical incidents per long haul BA frame has increased over recent years just because they're now older on average (and the newer ones are problematic Dreamliners). Hopefully when A350 deliveries start in earnest it makes a difference.

Then again, maybe you've just been very unlucky!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold; Accor Le Club Gold
I had two recent experiences at Denver where we landed only a few minutes late but the baggage arrived on the belt in one case after an hour's wait and in the second case after four hours wait (due to lightning strikes visible from the apron/ramp).

I was thinking to myself that this inconvenience is almost certainly not covered by EU261 since we had arrived and disembarked but to me made no difference as I couldn't realistically leave the airport!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Ah! If that's the power of the regulation, then I sure hope that the next iteration will bring the threshold for compensation down to 1 hour so we all get moving faster!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Sounds to me like BA have been taking lessons from FlyBe...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:55 am

Ah! If that's the power of the regulation, then I sure hope that the next iteration will bring the threshold for compensation down to 1 hour so we all get moving faster!
More likely for the time frames to be doubled, giving the airline more time to resolve issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.