Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Reward Flight Savers priced from £1 - trial begins 16 July 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward Flight Savers priced from £1 - trial begins 16 July 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
Sorry if this isn't the most relevant thread on RFS any more, but I'm on a mobile and am finding it hard to find anything at all ;-)

I've just heard something that was new to me - under this new scheme, if you choose any avios/cash combination other than the max avios one, then if you do a partial cancellation (eg canx the return half of your flights) then you get refunded according to the max avios combination - ie just the £0.50 and half the higher amount of avios. I think this is how it used to work when you paid extra to spend fewer avios under the old scheme too.

So if you want that flexibility, but want to be refunded what you paid (in avios and cash) you need to make one-way bookings now...
This is not quite correct.

Any short-haul booking made since this trial started seems to attract the lower cancellation fees, ie £1 for a return or 50p for a one-way.

Importantly, it does not matter which option you originally chose. Irrespective of whether you chose £1 of cash or £101 of cash, the fee is only £1.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I also did a GPR, and insisted on the old rate. Was told they cant even see that rate on the system so it had to be sent to ticketing. 2 days later a voicemail from them that they didnt have my CVV number saved so could I call them to add it. Called, and then something else went wrong and a day later they called for it again. Was a real nuisance and took a while to sort.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Any short-haul booking made since this trial started seems to attract the lower cancellation fees, ie £1 for a return or 50p for a one-way.

Importantly, it does not matter which option you originally chose. Irrespective of whether you chose £1 of cash or £101 of cash, the fee is only £1.
I can confirm that this is how the new system works.

I recently booked a one-way reward flight, choosing to pay with 4,000 Avios and £15.50 in cash. Today I cancelled that flight, and received 4,000 Avios and £15 back. The effective 50p cost of "holding" an RFS booking seems to me to be a huge benefit - previously, I'd have lost the entire cash element.
george77300 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I also cancelled one this week with the same result, on a £25.50 taxes payment. Was very handy.
george77300 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I really dislike the new pricing options. They are poor value and the system now defaults to one such poor value.
oxtailsoup likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Has anyone with a non-UK-based BAEC account been able to book RFS under the trial fee structure? My account is still stuck at the old flat fee when attempting to book RFS
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I really dislike the new pricing options. They are poor value and the system now defaults to one such poor value.
agreed! Tried to book a gold reward seats from Milan recently and was quoted 32,000 miles one way in ET for 2 with £1 fee.

when I said no I was advised that this was the only option. I was then put on hold for almost 20minutes while they checked. In the end 18000 for 2 plus £35. Cash fare €440 each!
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by marcolau317
Has anyone with a non-UK-based BAEC account been able to book RFS under the trial fee structure?
yes
Amygdala28 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by binman
agreed! Tried to book a gold reward seats from Milan recently and was quoted 32,000 miles one way in ET for 2 with £1 fee.

when I said no I was advised that this was the only option. I was then put on hold for almost 20minutes while they checked. In the end 18000 for 2 plus £35. Cash fare €440 each!
I had the exact same experience booking a gold priority reward last week. Offered the £1 and squillions of Avios option and when I said I wanted the old pricing I was told ‘I’m not sure we’re still doing that, I need to check with a manager’. 20 minutes on hold later it was done. I hope they’re not going to get rid of the old pricing completely.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
New Cancellations fee.

Originally Posted by Misco60
I can confirm that this is how the new system works.

I recently booked a one-way reward flight, choosing to pay with 4,000 Avios and £15.50 in cash. Today I cancelled that flight, and received 4,000 Avios and £15 back. The effective 50p cost of "holding" an RFS booking seems to me to be a huge benefit - previously, I'd have lost the entire cash element.
Originally Posted by Raffles
I also cancelled one this week with the same result, on a £25.50 taxes payment. Was very handy.
So just for clarity, whatever combination of Avios + money you pay, you get all Avios and cash (except 50p) back when you cancel regardless? No more £35 fee?

Does this make the GGL perk effectively useless as it saves just 50p per booking? If so this is good news for the rest of us non GGL lot!

Some clarity on this much appreciated.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
What I am wondering is how this will work if/when dynamic Avios pricing comes in. Let’s say you book a flight at 15000 Avios return. A few months later, it drops to 10000 with seats still available. So you book the lower price seats, cancel the existing booking and it’s only cost you £0.50. Seems to make dynamic pricing a bit pointless? Unless it only goes up as you near departure?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
When looking to fly from MUC and take advantage of the current Avios redemption offer, I noticed that when combining a short-haul feeder to LHR combined with a long-haul flight from LHR, BA now uses the amount of Avios of the “trial price redemption” to add to the Avios required of the long-haul flight. For a J redemption this adds at least 5000 Avios to the redemption price. This is surely incorrect. There is no monetory gain to warrent this, just an increase to redemption rates by stealth.

Last edited by Tafflyer; Nov 7, 2019 at 2:29 pm
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by volar
I had the exact same experience booking a gold priority reward last week. Offered the £1 and squillions of Avios option and when I said I wanted the old pricing I was told ‘I’m not sure we’re still doing that, I need to check with a manager’. 20 minutes on hold later it was done. I hope they’re not going to get rid of the old pricing completely.
It appears that the old pricing has been removed from the system. I tried a Gold Priority Reward today and was firmly told that the £1 + loads of Avios is the only option. I was trying 4 seats to Geneva, old pricing was 72,000 (including the double Avios) new price is 128,000. Ouch. This was the GGL line.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Pants
It appears that the old pricing has been removed from the system. I tried a Gold Priority Reward today and was firmly told that the £1 + loads of Avios is the only option. I was trying 4 seats to Geneva, old pricing was 72,000 (including the double Avios) new price is 128,000. Ouch. This was the GGL line.
I really hope it was a mistake.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly
I really hope it was a mistake.
I have heard reports of others booking GPRs - they have been successful using the old rates but they had to push for that.
Lefly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.