FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Empty seat / asked to move (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1978287-empty-seat-asked-move.html)

ChrL Jul 16, 2019 3:37 am

Empty seat / asked to move

Recently I’ve noticed the seat next to me is rarely occupied (eg I’m in 64K and 64J is empty on the 747). This leads to the cabin crew asking me to move seats so a couple can sit together. Any idea why this is happening? Should I expect some avios? I have emerald status so there is no seat fee to be refunded.

ratypus Jul 16, 2019 3:41 am

Just say no - it REALLY annoys me when crew / ground staff ask for this. They know perfectly well that those seats (64A/K etc.) are good seats and pre-booked normally by OWE - it is largely BA's own policy of making non-status passengers pay for seating which creates the mess of couples not being allocated seats together, so it's BA's job to sort it out and not mine. I have been asked this 3-4 times now and on the last couple have just politely declined without further issue.

PETER01 Jul 16, 2019 3:43 am

Just say no thanks.

I wouldn't give up my 64K seat for a couple. Like for like no problem as in say 17 A to 17K on the lower deck as an example.

As for Avios I wouldn't be interested nor if you agreed to should you get any as youd be doing it more as a goodwill gesture.

LondonAndy Jul 16, 2019 3:44 am

I guess you can always say no, you'd chosen that seat many weeks in advance as it is one you prefer for whatever reason, and whilst you are sympathetic to the couple, you don't want to move?

I wouldn't expect any Avios to be on offer, but if you were to move you could say (tongue in cheek?) that you'd be prepared to make the sacrifice for a couple of glasses of LPGS (or whatever your poison is) from the front of the plane...

lev441 Jul 16, 2019 3:44 am

I'd refuse if they were asking you to move to a worse seat with no direct access...

This happened once, when i'd been moved without asking, and I noticed this only when looking down at my boarding pass going through security. I went back to the check in desk and they put me back in 64k and I was a happy bunny!

AverageHighFlyer Jul 16, 2019 3:46 am

Before refusing outright, it might be worth checking that they’re not asking you to move to F... :D

ChrL Jul 16, 2019 3:52 am

Originally Posted by AverageHighFlyer (Post 31308446)
Before refusing outright, it might be worth checking that they’re not asking you to move to F... :D

Recently it was 60A which was ok but I prefer the direct aisle access and prefer the K side because I sleep on my left side so the knee space is better in K.

But any idea why it had started happening more recently? There just always seems to be an empty seat next to me which seems to make me a target for moving.

KARFA Jul 16, 2019 3:54 am

Originally Posted by ChrL (Post 31308454)

Recently it was 60A which was ok but I prefer the direct aisle access and prefer the K side because I sleep on my left side so the knee space is better in K.

But any idea why it had started happening more recently? There just always seems to be an empty seat next to me which seems to make me a target for moving.

if you have status you are more likely to have a free seat next to you due to this https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ts-status.html

ChrL Jul 16, 2019 3:56 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31308456)
if you have status you are more likely to have a free seat next to you due to this https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ts-status.html

Interesting... Can I opt out of that so I’m not a target for moving?

KARFA Jul 16, 2019 3:59 am

Originally Posted by ChrL (Post 31308459)

just say no and you can keep your seat and the free seat next to you.

out of many flights across the last few years where I have had a blocked seat i haven't been asked to move under similar circumstances.

ajeleonard Jul 16, 2019 4:01 am

Just politely decline, don't see why this is an "issue" worthy of a thread

corporate-wage-slave Jul 16, 2019 4:27 am

Originally Posted by ChrL (Post 31308459)

Leave out your Frequent Flyer number, select seats at OLCI, retro-claim after the event. I suspect a polite decline (after checking the alternative seat offered) would be easier and faster. It doesn't happen to me very often so you seem to be unlucky, hence you could go down the rabbit's foot route I suppose.

Prospero Jul 16, 2019 4:30 am

Ever so often I get these requests, rarely on BA flights (mainly AA in domestic First) but when flying BA they are exclusively related to 747 upper deck seats. Why does this happen? I think a common cause is the desirability of the upper deck and the practicality of securing two seats together, particularly when seats are assigned at check in. So it’s quite natural for couples who find themselves separated to seek ways as a final attempt to sit together and for cabin crew to assist as far as possible.

If you are asked to swap seats to accommodate a couple, the decision rests with you and it’s not a matter to get stressed over.

Can I help you Jul 16, 2019 4:37 am

Man up, if you are asked to moved/swap and you do not want too just say no, simple. :D

mikeyfly Jul 16, 2019 4:54 am

There is no way I'd swap - don't come up with excuses or explanations - just politely reject