Empty seat / asked to move

Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure what the purpose of the thread is. It is perfectly fine to ask someone if they will move and it is equally fine to decline.
If I’m reading the OP correctly, they felt additional (underlying/implied) pressure to accept the swap request, as it was presented to OP by cabin crew (who you generally want to oblige, seeing as you want to remain on the aircraft).

If requesting a seat swap, opt for swapping to a lesser favorable seat rather than to a coveted seat like 64K.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:23 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by ChrL
I’ll have to try harder at saying no. :-) Something I’m not too good at.
Can you give me $1000?
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The AA domestic ones tend to be annoying because typically, it’s upgraded pax not sat where they want who expect you as paid j/f customer to give up your pre assigned seat for them. I have even had multiple occurrences of people just sitting where they want hinting that you’d slow down boarding if you refuse and ask them to return to their seat. People who know me know I’m the rather gentle type as a matter of course but I become totally inflexible if people try to force their way.
I think it's the nature and reason for the request that matters. Whether the passenger on either side of the request has been upgraded or not is irrelevant to me.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
I can't believe anyone would say yes.
You're in the seat thru earning it with cash or status.
The two punters refused to cough up the seat fee.

They had the opportunity; they declined.
Frankly they should be embarrassed to put both you and the crew in that situation.
kingstontoon and mikem004 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
I got the same question the other day returning from MIA on 64K... it was a very nice couple and they politely asked together with the crew.. and I denied saying excuse me but there is a reason why I chose this seat with a big grin.
they laughed back and we had a fun conversation through our little window through out the flight and I took them into GF for breakfast... - so I dont mind beeing asked... obviously they didnt realize how special this seat is - not everyone is on flyertalk :-)
SWISSBOBBY, LCY8737 and alex67500 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:59 pm

Is it all right to say “I will move if the person who wants my seat pays me what it would have cost to reserve this seat at the time of booking?”

Just wondering. The person gets his seat “as if” it had been reserved by paying the fee.
mikem004 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Man up, if you are asked to moved/swap and you do not want too just say no, simple.
well said, is it such a hardship to have the question asked, it so easy to say no thanks, or yes, whichever you feel like.

what a fuss
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
As the OP mentioned, not everyone is able to say no. The following clip of Sir Ben Kingsley as Don Logan is probably the reference example....

WickedStepMother likes this.

Last edited by Robespierre; Jul 17, 2019 at 3:27 am
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Or this...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
My word... What a load of hot air over nothing...

Just politely refuse and move on.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
At least you were asked and given the option.
I posted on here a couple of weeks ago where the ground staff just took it upon themselves to move me from a prime CE to last row CE with all the service problems that entails after I'd checked in and before I'd boarded. Just got the beep at the gate and told I'd been moved so that a couple can sit together. I wasn't asked and wasn't allowed to move back. Not happy.
This is what worries me.

I have no problem saying no to people but if the crew insisted, could I be offloaded for refusing to move or taking a seat they had moved me to.

Could they offload a passenger? Would they?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by simon stingray
....could I be offloaded for refusing to move or taking a seat they had moved me to.

I can't recall ever seeing a story on here along those lines. Tbh I don't see it happening and the possibility is so remote it isn't really worth worrying about.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by simon stingray

This is what worries me.

I have no problem saying no to people but if the crew insisted, could I be offloaded for refusing to move or taking a seat they had moved me to.

I had a time on an IB flight (I had a window seat in one of those rows where you sleep against the wall - as opposed to by the aisle where everyone bumps into you. And the FA told me that they "need me to take the seat in front of mine" (where the seat is by the aisle) - I asked what the operational necessity was that would allow them to force a seat change. The FA just turned around and walked off.

Coming back to OP - I am a 64A/K kinda guy and can't recall a single flight where the seat next to me was empty. I use AA OW status - but I had other seats next to me blocked - come to think of it, isn't row 64 only selectable for Gold/Emerald in the first place?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

64K can be booked by BA Silver's and OW Sapphires and it's not restricted to just Golds or Emeralds.

64A is a bassinet seat and that can't be selected until T-72 hours, but that can be very variable though, if it's not been snapped up by a parent with baby/infant under 2.

IIRC 64B can also be purchased by anyone without status but I can't recall if 64J can also be purchased by anyone who doesn't have status.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Just politely refuse and move on.
Unfortunately, some cabin crew do put pressure on passengers to change seats in order that others may sit together, and inexperienced travellers don't always realise that they have a choice. This happened to my sister on her first CW flight a couple of years ago, after I had paid to select the best seat for her: I got the seat fee refunded but would rather that she had had the best flight possible.
mikem004 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.