Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty seat / asked to move

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by ChrL
Recently I’ve noticed the seat next to me is rarely occupied (eg I’m in 64K and 64J is empty on the 747). This leads to the cabin crew asking me to move seats so a couple can sit together. Any idea why this is happening? Should I expect some avios? I have emerald status so there is no seat fee to be refunded.
Had this a couple of times, if they're offering a better seat for my goodwill fair enough but otherwise generally it's a polite no as lots of thought goes into getting the seat I'm sat in. If it makes no difference (ie. Like for like seat) then no issue.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
My personal record on a single flight was being asked to move twice during boarding by different people for different reasons so ended up in my third seat of the day. It was an AA domestic first sector on a 737. The only downside was that it completely confused the cabin crew at meal time. Upsides were that more than a quarter of the remainder of the cabin were very well disposed towards me during the flight
Prospero likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by mikem004
I can't believe that BA are trying to turf high status passengers out of their seat, to make way for people who couldn't be bothered to reserve adjacent seats. Couldn't be bothered, yet still demand that they must be seated next to each other.
i don’t think that’s fair. BA isn’t trying to “turf” anyone out of their seats willy-nilly. Many times the request is made by someone having a near breakdown at the boarding door and we as crew will ask various people around the cabin. If a customer being asked says they prefer to stay where they are, conversation over, move onto the next but ultimately we would tell the customer making the request that they would have to take the separated seats they were assigned and they must consider paying to prebook in the future if seating together is an essential requirement, I’ve never upgraded the person asking as a solution and with all due respect to them, I’m relatively unsympathetic to the issue. It’s a conversation I’ve had many a time and will continue to have as long as BA continue charge and as long as people don’t want to pay the extra.
I’ve purchased countless full fare tickets and had to pay for assigned seating and when I don’t, I take what I’m given.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
My strategy is to say "yes, but only if the seat you're offering me is better than this one." and then to ask them exactly which seat they are offering. And then I decide if it is actually better or not. I've always found this works well, since my initial 'yes' makes them feel I am being willing and helpful, even if the final decision is 'No'.
Exactly my approach. It sets a clear criteria for saying no but if you can help, then you will.

Most recent deployment was to move from an exit aisle to second last row middle so that a couple could sit together on a 2 hour flight. They did not take it well but could, at least, see why.
PETER01 and spaninan like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jimmauk
On a recent flight to Tenerife in CE, I was sat in 1D. The CSM asked if I would move to 5C so that a mother and child (around 10) could sit together. I declined stating that I had specifically chosen this seat. Net result was traveller in 5A moved into 1F. Turned out as well the mother and child were on a ET ticket as well.
I hope you reported this to BA. FAs shouldbn't be giving free upgrades, especially when it inconveniences those who have paid for CE.
Skipcool3, watersign and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
My strategy is to say "yes, but only if the seat you're offering me is better than this one." and then to ask them exactly which seat they are offering. And then I decide if it is actually better or not. I've always found this works well, since my initial 'yes' makes them feel I am being willing and helpful, even if the final decision is 'No'.
Wouldn't the reasonable response be "yes but only if the seat you're offering in exchange is better no worse than the one I'm in?"
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The AA domestic ones tend to be annoying because typically, it’s upgraded pax not sat where they want who expect you as paid j/f customer to give up your pre assigned seat for them. I have even had multiple occurrences of people just sitting where they want hinting that you’d slow down boarding if you refuse and ask them to return to their seat. People who know me know I’m the rather gentle type as a matter of course but I become totally inflexible if people try to force their way.
alex67500 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cabin crew seeking a multiple shift seems odd to me.
If two passengers are separated and want to sit together, seems to me their are two possibilities - the seat next to each of them. That's it.
Also, we all know about 64K (even I know about that seat and I stopped flying BA a few years ago; but I had that seat twice, back in the old AMEX IAP days). Surely the CC know it's a special seat as well.
mikem004 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Evening IB flight to Madrid, 1C. I was asked by 1A if I wouldn't mind moving so he could work with 1D, I saw no problem with that but as we were rolling I said I'd move when the seatbelt light went out, everyone happy. Everyone that is except the Spaniard in 1D who appeared not to want to spend the flight working with 1A and was visibly harrumphing and rolling his eyes. Anyway the light went out and I turned to tell him he could move if he wanted, and he was feigning sleep. He did manage to wake up long enough for a meal and a couple of mini-bottles of Rioja, after which he dropped off again. Much more realistically this time.

1A, who turned out to be quite a serious intercontinental CEO type, was less than amused. He spent a good part of the meal service visibly stacking and sorting papers to discuss, but was eventually forced to give up. I imagine the taxi to the hotel was a bit frosty.

As far as seat change requests go, it doesn't happen much. I'm usually loathe to give up legroom, and I like a centre aisle long haul in Y and W so I tend to stick fast to those. I think the reason these threads get attention somewhat disproportionate to their actual frequency of occurrence is a good old British fear of being embarrassed in public.
Pandra and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Originally Posted by HowMayIHelp
Many times the request is made by someone having a near breakdown at the boarding door...
But they have a seat on the plane. No reason for such histrionics, in my opinion.
If it was such a big deal for them, they could have sorted it out before they got to the airport.
watersign and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by mikem004
But they have a seat on the plane. No reason for such histrionics, in my opinion.
If it was such a big deal for them, they could have sorted it out before they got to the airport.
Different people become anxious and stressed for a variety of different reasons and not everyone understands the processes for seating as well as most people on here.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Husband and I were politely asked by AA cabin crew to swap row in domestic first on a Hawaii - mainland flight. Happy to help and swapped, with grateful family now close to their kids. The net result was the cabin crew went out of their way to provide us with great service, and both husband and I had one of the worst gin induced hangovers known to man the following morning!! Be warned- being nice can seriously backfire!!!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I would move if it was to seat a parent and child together - it's the right thing to do.

Can someone please try this answer next time
"I'd like to stay in my assigned seat so that if the plane crashes, my seat will match up with the passenger manifest and any remains identified in my seat area can be repatriated to my family"
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure what the purpose of the thread is. It is perfectly fine to ask someone if they will move and it is equally fine to decline.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure what the purpose of the thread is. It is perfectly fine to ask someone if they will move and it is equally fine to decline.
The OP asked "why it is happening?" from their original post seeking views on this an IBB and is healthy in my own view. Not a new subject topic but nevertheless, current views.

I think it's actually quite interesting to see what other members think, would say, their experiences etc from the various posts and with a few funny ones too such as that by A P Yu.

Originally Posted by A P Yu
I'm rarely asked to move. I think my face suggests I'm not approachable

I think it's a perfectly fit thread for the BA Board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.