Community
Wiki Posts
Search

caribbean catering rough!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
caribbean catering rough!

Just on return flight from st Lucia up front in FIRST

Crew Lovely, wines lovely, but the food! . Chunks of dull fish and chocolate bread and butter pudding like they have come out of the St Trinians canteen

Almost inedible, but presentation brilliant !

How variable is outstation catering? Is this one of the worst? Flight originates in Trinidad
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Returned from St Lucia in J two weeks ago. 'Creole Chicken' was OK, if largely unmemorable ... I've had worse.

Edit: my wife reminds me that her 'warm chocolate brownie, dark rum and vanilla sauce' was close to inedible and abandoned after one mouthful.

Last edited by T8191; Jul 16, 2019 at 2:35 am Reason: Poor Pudding!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The story behind this is that at some locations, there really isn't a lot of choice to BA or any airline - there may only be one kitchen available to service aircraft. Smaller islands, somewhat isolated from global supply chains, pose an issue here. The airline - or perhaps the airline's main catering provider - may set guidelines and policies but if the local kitchen only has (e.g.) one provider of chicken meat then there's not a lot that can be done about it. Seychelles is where I know the set-up a bit. There is only one locally owned company that can supply food to BA, and indeed to all airlines there. If you want fish, you will probably get a reasonably good quality product there, anything else then the local supply lines aren't great frankly.

I won't name the location, but at one recent USA city that BA has started flying to in recent years, BA had to arrange for a new kitchen to be built, not that BA owns that kitchen. The only other airline with catering supplied locally was AA, and they got their food from an old age people's centre which had a sideline in external catering.

There are also a few places where it seems difficult to get good food, regardless of airline. Hong Kong and Singapore spring to mind, though in my view the Do&Co management has improved both locations, particularly HKG. CPT and JNB are also somewhat in this group despite the ferociously good food available in South Africa. Durban doesn't seem to have this problem luckily, given that is a day flight.
T8191, YacozA, The_Editor and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I had the food last night. Starter and pudding.

Lovely white bean soup with bacon and chocolate bread and butter pudding with chocolate custard.

both very yummy to me!

White Bean Soup

Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by craigdthomas
I had the food last night. Starter and pudding.

Lovely white bean soup with bacon and chocolate bread and butter pudding with chocolate custard.

both very yummy to me!

White Bean Soup

Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding
interesting; I had the prawn starter which was nice, the local fish was heavy and bland, the chocolate pud was heavy
Other half said felt sick after food as so unpalatable!

It was strange to see all the nice new table ware with the contents not living up to the presentation

Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The story behind this is that at some locations, there really isn't a lot of choice to BA or any airline - there may only be one kitchen available to service aircraft. Smaller islands, somewhat isolated from global supply chains, pose an issue here. The airline - or perhaps the airline's main catering provider - may set guidelines and policies but if the local kitchen only has (e.g.) one provider of chicken meat then there's not a lot that can be done about it. Seychelles is where I know the set-up a bit. There is only one locally owned company that can supply food to BA, and indeed to all airlines there. If you want fish, you will probably get a reasonably good quality product there, anything else then the local supply lines aren't great frankly.
We flew AF to and from Punta Cana last year ex-LHR and hubbing in CDG. The food and wine was the best I have ever had on long haul J and the service was consummately professional. So it can be done if that’s your priority. (On the other hand the slopey bed wasn’t so great on an overnight.)
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
You should try it out of some Africa outstations...
rossmacd and T8191 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
I thought the food in F from Barbados was pretty good. Can't remember what the starter was but the beef main was delicious and not cooked to death. I will agree that catering from South Africa is dreadful. BA either need to spend more or switch suppliers.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our last 2 CPT-LGW mains in J were perfectly acceptable. Beef and Fish were both fine, as were the peripheral courses. Inconsistency, perhaps?

But we digress...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
You should try it out of some Africa outstations...
The food out of NBO normally sounds delicious, but I've never had any catering from there that tastes good. Last year they served the most enormous prawns on a dish, but the whole thing tasted of nothing.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by shefgab
The food out of NBO normally sounds delicious, but I've never had any catering from there that tastes good. Last year they served the most enormous prawns on a dish, but the whole thing tasted of nothing.
Accra can be woeful at times. In all cabins.

When commuting home from work, I don't eat on the plane leaving Ghana, and treat myself to Eggs Benedict and tea at F&M in St Pancras before my train... Just not worth the disappointment.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
I won't name the location, but at one recent USA city that BA has started flying to in recent years, BA had to arrange for a new kitchen to be built, not that BA owns that kitchen. The only other airline with catering supplied locally was AA, and they got their food from an old age people's centre which had a sideline in external catering.
I guess I should be surprised that AA has a nursing home cater their flights, but sadly I'm not. Admittedly, AA's catering requirements at a small airport like CHS are probably fairly minimal.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
We did 1st from St Lucia last year & as I recall the food was pretty good.

The return catering from Costa Rica in J was superb.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
My sister in law has a catering business in Fiji and I remember her supplying food for (what was then) Air Pacific. I was quite jealous of what the passengers were going to receive, local curries, cakes galore, local beef... and though she didn't cook it, I had the best ever fillet steak on Air Pacific flying NAN - SYD on the only 747 they used to lease.
So not all outstation catering need be dire... just unpredictable!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
There are also a few places where it seems difficult to get good food, regardless of airline. Hong Kong and Singapore spring to mind, though in my view the Do&Co management has improved both locations, particularly HKG. CPT and JNB are also somewhat in this group despite the ferociously good food available in South Africa. Durban doesn't seem to have this problem luckily, given that is a day flight.
That's odd, I fly out of both SIN & HKG regularly with LH, EY, QR, AF, TK and the home team in both cases and the catering is well up to standard. If BA are falling short then I suspect in two cities renowned for excellent food they are failing to spend wisely or sufficiently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.