FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA cancellations LHR-SAN Nov 25-29, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1978217-ba-cancellations-lhr-san-nov-25-29-2019-a.html)

Full Score Jul 15, 19 2:33 pm

BA cancellations LHR-SAN Nov 25-29, 2019
 
BA has cancelled all direct flights between LHR & SAN on five consecutive days, Nov 25-29, 2019. Does anyone know the reason, please? Neither the YouFirst nor Gold lines could give an explanation.

rossmacd Jul 15, 19 2:38 pm

That is the period of thanksgiving, therefore you can assume that overall demand (especially premium demand) is lower. It may not make financial sense to operate some flights.

Tiger_lily Jul 15, 19 2:58 pm

There’s always cancellations over Thanksgiving due to low actual or predicted demand

rapidex Jul 15, 19 2:59 pm

As rossmacd points out, thanksgiving holiday.

Boeingbumper Jul 15, 19 3:16 pm

Just had my flight to LAX cancelled during this period as well, again thanksgiving I would imagine

Full Score Jul 15, 19 3:57 pm

Thanksgiving wouldn't account for cancelling five consecutive days of the ONLY daily direct flight Heathrow to San Diego. At the very least they would have kept one every other day. As it is, traffic has been shunted to the day before this cancellation period (Nov 24) or the day after (Nov 30), and premium passengers have been squashed into what availability is left. In our case this meant being shunted out of our preferred seats (1A/K) and put in two random seats at the back of F, not even together although we're on the same PNR and are both Gold.

mikeyfly Jul 15, 19 4:32 pm

There’s plenty of other F reroutes to west coast. Did you explore all options before making choice? Flexibility is normally excellent in these situations - I would’ve gone through LAX on an A380

maisiedormouse Jul 15, 19 4:45 pm

Thanksgiving is Thurs 28th this year. Hope there are no changes to direct flights earlier in Nov when we are travelling. Already changed to mid J from high J and T5 to T3

Full Score Jul 15, 19 5:01 pm


Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 31306900)
I would’ve gone through LAX on an A380

I agree that the A380 would always be my preferred aircraft; however, going through LAX entails, not only dealing with LAX (!) rather than SAN immigration which is a breeze, but taking a puddle jumper down to San Diego, which in turn means having to transfer to the old commuter terminal via bus adding three hours or more to the total travel time since the flights are less frequent than they used to be when Skywest were responsible for AA Eagle flights.

The _Banking_Scot Jul 15, 19 5:10 pm


Originally Posted by Full Score (Post 31306978)
I agree that the A380 would always be my preferred aircraft; however, going through LAX entails, not only dealing with LAX (!) rather than SAN immigration which is a breeze, but taking a puddle jumper down to San Diego, which in turn means having to transfer to the old commuter terminal via bus adding three hours or more to the total travel time since the flights are less frequent than they used to be when Skywest were responsible for AA Eagle flights.

Hi,

PHX might be a possible alternative ( easy immigration) but switches from a 744 to a 787-9 at the start of the winter timetable.

Regards

TBS

KeaneJohn Jul 15, 19 5:25 pm


Originally Posted by Full Score (Post 31306808)
Thanksgiving wouldn't account for cancelling five consecutive days of the ONLY daily direct flight Heathrow to San Diego. At the very least they would have kept one every other day. As it is, traffic has been shunted to the day before this cancellation period (Nov 24) or the day after (Nov 30), and premium passengers have been squashed into what availability is left. In our case this meant being shunted out of our preferred seats (1A/K) and put in two random seats at the back of F, not even together although we're on the same PNR and are both Gold.

There really isn’t going to be the demand. There will be hardly any business travel in that week as everybody wants to get back home to be with their families by Wednesday evening and with the sales and the four day weekend there’s not going to be much traffic until the following Monday.

BA will no doubt reduce frequency to other US destinations over the same period. They do each year.


Full Score Jul 15, 19 5:35 pm


Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 31307001)
...PHX might be a possible alternative (easy immigration) but switches from a 744 to a 787-9 at the start of the winter timetable.

Before the LHR-SAN direct service, I used to do LHR-PHX-SAN a lot. You're right, immigration is easy, particularly with Global Entry, but there's a long walk between terminals and the BA Lounge is horrible (or at least it was five years ago). Is baggage interlining easier now that the old USAirways service has become AA?

Altaflyer Jul 15, 19 8:37 pm

AA has already slashed many flights to Europe during this time, ORD had all flights cancelled to LHR Nov 29th for instance, same for LAX as an example.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:28 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.