Odds of getting upper deck 747 club world

Old Jul 15, 19, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Odds of getting upper deck 747 club world

Hi everyone,
Just booked my first club world flights on British Airways flight 280 (a 747) from LAX to LHR, departing LAX at 6:25pm. I have two tickets on Wednesday, November 18, and would like to sit on the upper deck. However, I don't particularly want to spend $300 to guarantee seats, and was wondering how likely it is that there will be open seats 24 hours before departure. For context, 5/20 of the upper deck seats are currently available for me to select.
Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 19, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
I would say highly unlikely - Iíve hardly ever seen that cabin empty even weeks before departure - the status passengers with free seat selection alone are likely to grab them - especially on that route.

Its a great experience and wonít be around for much longer so I would say just pay for the selection or you will likely miss out.
Old Jul 15, 19, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Have to agree with Chris9642, a very status and celeb heavy route so I recommend paying
Old Jul 15, 19, 2:15 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
By the time Golds, Silvers and those who cannot be named have chosen their seats prior to Online check in, the chances will indeed be low
Old Jul 15, 19, 2:21 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by oregontourist View Post
For context, 5/20 of the upper deck seats are currently available for me to select.
This is part of the reason why you would very likely need to pay, especially if not travelling solo and wishing to be seated together. Most seats on the UD are blocked for status pax (and maybe those on flexible tickets qualifying for free advance seat selection, not sure about that). Currently on your flight, only 3 UD seats are actually occupied. Of the other 12 you cannot select, 11 are blocked for status pax and 64A is blocked as a bassinet.

So, all non-status pax wishing to sit up there have access to only these few seats (until the last minute, at which point they are frequently taken on a route like this, as mentioned above). Unfortunate for you, but if you really want seats up there, you should strongly consider paying. I’m guessing what you see available is mainly row 63 and one other seat. A row 63 pair is a good choice in this situation for two people travelling together.

Old Jul 15, 19, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
I flew back from LAS last Sunday and four upper deck seats were vacant - some folks shuffled around (64A was snatched before take off!) so it's not entirely unusual, but on LAX I don't like your chances
Old Jul 15, 19, 4:53 am

Programs: BA execurive Club
Originally Posted by Oaxaca View Post
Of the other 12 you cannot select, 11 are blocked for status pax and 64A is blocked as a bassinet.
It's been a few years since I flew CW on a 747 but I always managed to get 64A (best CW seat on plane with 2 foot more length plus the extra width offered in the top cabin), although I have never had any exec club status. I get the impression that since BA have started charging for seats there are more reserved for pax with status. As an aside on a flight I'm looking at First class (Dreamliner Suite) is virtually the same price as CW + paying for seats.
Old Jul 15, 19, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Agree on the highly unlikely. That said, I don't know if I would pay or not and go for what is available on the day. I really like the upper deck (at least some seats on the UD) to the extent that I can sit there for free, but equally, a mid-November flight may not be full and it is quite possible that some parts of the lower deck cabin may be a lot less busy than the UD. If you get a window paid anyway and the cabin is not full, I think I'd personally save my money and use it for something else.