Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A BA loop hole to make money ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:24 am
Original Poster

A BA loop hole to make money ?

I was speaking with a PA who worked with an EPA who booked first class travel for a number of executives in a sports team.

A EPA at another sports team who would be flying her excutives First on the same flight knew they had booked out the cabin between them.

Everynow and then they would book a fully refundable FIrst class fair on their own Amex knowing that first was oversold.

Turn up at the airport, head to the check-in desks once there boss' had gone thru security and await to be told they would need to be downgraded to J or take a refund and collect some comp and avios.

brave? Stupid? genious?

Isochronous likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Life’s too short for that sort of nonsense, frankly.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Would probably work, although there is a possibility of a Fraud Act offence as well.

The problem is that, if the algorithm were choosing people based on fare paid then the PA showing up last would probably have the highest fare and therefore be the least likely to be downgraded (ignoring status, which is probably lower, because they never fly anyway!)

So there would be a lot of anomalous behaviour on the account, and compensation is 3/4 of the fare paid - it's not IDB or delayed arrival, and if you chose to fly on a later flight you wouldn't get the statutory compensation. So you'd be reliant on an ex gratia offer even though you never fly. Seems questionable to me.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There have been many cases in the US where people tried this sort of deliberate manipulation - booking flexible tickets then last minute cancelling them so there would be room in the F cabin for an upgrade for their proper ticket

It does not usually end well for those trying this on - usually by having their account closed and all miles lost and being banned from flying on that airline.

Also what's an 'EPA' ??
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Also what's an 'EPA' ??
It will be an Executive Personal Assistant. Basically a secretary.
burnsie21, endoman and dougzz like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Executive Personal Assistant?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by rossmacd
It will be an Executive Personal Assistant. Basically a secretary.
Welcome to the 1970s everyone ......

Do you have a PA?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by SA100
I was speaking with a PA who worked with an EPA who booked first class travel for a number of executives in a sports team.

A EPA at another sports team who would be flying her excutives First on the same flight knew they had booked out the cabin between them.

Everynow and then they would book a fully refundable FIrst class fair on their own Amex knowing that first was oversold.

Turn up at the airport, head to the check-in desks once there boss' had gone thru security and await to be told they would need to be downgraded to J or take a refund and collect some comp and avios.

brave? Stupid? genious?

Strange IMHO.

He/she is clearly underworked if they have the time and inclination to try this.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
People with the opportunity to try this would/should know the difference between there, their and they’re.
DoctorCopper, alex67500 and dougzz like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Also what's an 'EPA' ??
I'm glad somebody asked! Wikipedia didn't offer much that would make any sense in the context of the OP... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPA_(disambiguation)
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
People with the opportunity to try this would/should know the difference between there, their and they’re.
i am dyslexic, perhaps I can order a step ladder to help you down from your high horse ?
Tilly71, W213Sal, bisonrav and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
didn't some NBA refs get jail time for something similar?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
....but why ???
It is an overly complicated way of trying to game the system.
Do you need a team of people in order to book out the cabin?
** It’s late and I may have misunderstood...but.,,.why??
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Reminds me of the guy who repeatedly booked refundable F tickets so he could spend the day in the First class lounge eating & drinking, then off load himself from the flight and claim a full refund. I think it was Lufthansa and they successfully sued him when they caught om what he was up to.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The core story is unlikely for BA since First is only overbooked by one seat, and this would go down to zero in the weeks before departure. Moreover a late switch to a 17 seater could make this an expensive way to fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.