Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steak in First

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Interesting- I'll get back in my box and get the popcorn out to watch the thread instead hah!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I’d suggest, if you want things to change you would need to lobby for minimum cooking temperatures to be relaxed, UK has some of the highest minimum temperature to serve food in comparison to other countries, given they can only use an oven to heat, this degrades the quality. Meanwhile other airlines can serve cooler steaks so less spoilt.

Seams to me that BA are simply fulfilling their legal obligations and perhaps annoyance is misdirected.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:06 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Boten
Yes, just means Japanese Beef.
Wa = Japanese origin
Gyu = beef
That's right literally but colloquially it is referring to one of 4 breeds of cattle, so you can get British, American or Australian Wagyu.
I doubt BA are using A5 Kobe beef
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC
I had a couple of breakfast mixed grills in F recently (to/from TLV so probably catered to different dietary requirements and both were way overdone. Best food I've had was TAP in J!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I much prefer getting my rare steak on the ground and choosing other options at 35,000 feet. Chicken is among my favourites at altitude.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Just to show it can be done, I was served this lovely steak last night on the 216 from IAD. Definitely the best steak I have ever had on a plane.
Maybe because it was a US sourced piece of meat helped, I just asked the crew do it for half the regulation cooking time.

Last edited by johnaalex; Jul 23, 2019 at 2:11 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:32 pm

What’s all the yellow stuff? You have clearly tucked into it well before the steak itself as it’s all gone with the cutlery smeared with it. Perhaps it was better than than steak itself.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by Greenpen
What’s all the yellow stuff? You have clearly tucked into it well before the steak itself as it’s all gone with the cutlery smeared with it. Perhaps it was better than than steak itself.
The "yellow stuff" is the Béarnaise sauce.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by johnaalex
I just asked the crew do it for have the regulation cooking time.
Um... in those exact words?
Guess it's some kind of code...
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:10 pm

Probably “half” the time?
johnaalex likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Legend717
Um... in those exact words?
Guess it's some kind of code...
I have corrected the typo.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hilton Honors Platinum
As a rule I avoid steak in F, but a couple of datapoints for interest: one BA F and one CX F from last month. Clearly it is feasible not to cremate meat!

BA F LHR-JFK (early June) - Veal Fillet medallions, very tender and served Medium (with nice Polenta diamonds). The sauce was exceptional (solid beef reduction). The food on this flight was the best i've had in BA F.

Tasty BA F veal

CX F HKG - LHR late June - Pink, great taste, slightly chewy however. Proper Wagyu fat profile and taste, but hard to initially get through the crust.

Pink but relatively tough CX F Wagyu
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: too many
I can't follow this thread, the steaks are too high :-)
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:46 am

I think it's a meat-ing of minds.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: QF WP
Thank god it’s not a thread about badly cooked fish, that’d really give you a haddock

/here endeth the puns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.