Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by rapidex
Imagine how the press will spin that if there are large security queues whilst security staff are diverted to the Windsor suite for the VIP's.
The VIPs includes the press who will all be flying to Madrid in the Club Suites.... but I imagine there will be Press in the main terminals too.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by rjn21
Industrial action by workers of Heathrow Airport Holdings Ltd (HAL) is planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August 2019.

Latest Information
  • We’re working closely with Heathrow Airport to minimise the inconvenience caused
  • A review of our operation will take place on Sunday 4 August
  • Airport affected is LHR not LGW or LCY
  • Situation is affecting all airlines operating at Heathrow
For Departing customers:
  • The number of security lanes will be reduced
  • Fast Track (T3/T5) and the First Wing (T5) will be closed
  • We advise customers to arrive in good time for their flight as we expect that it will take longer to pass through Security
  • Customers will be able to take one small personal item of carry-on baggage through Security which must fit under their seat
  • All larger items, including trolley bags will need to be checked-in
  • We advise customers to consolidate their belongings as we expect to be transporting more checked bags than usual
  • Hand baggage restriction also applies for customers on HBO fares, they will need to check-in bags that would normally go in overhead locker
For Connecting customers:

· Same hand baggage restrictions apply as above

· Customers will need to check-in larger hand-baggage from their departure point and this will be tagged for through check-in

Inflight Catering
  • Delays are expected for catering vans reaching the aircraft
  • Following Shorthaul services will have reduced catering proposition in both directions:
    • ABZ, AMS, BHD, BLL, BRU, BSL, CDG, DUB, DUS, EDI, FRA, GLA, GVA, HAJ, HAM, INV, LBA, LUX, LYS, MAN, MPL, NCL, NTE, STR, TLS, TXL, ZRH
  • Club Europe customers - Light Refreshment Vouchers (LRV’s) will be offered at the airport/onboard tea/coffee, water, muffins/flapjacks will be provided
  • Euro Traveller - Buy on Board (BOB) will not be available, customers will be offered complementary tea/coffee, water, biscuits
Advice to agents
  • Customers on flights departing on both strike days are being emailed now with the information on hand baggage restrictions
  • Please advise any customer travelling on affected Shorthaul flights regarding the reduced catering proposition (add a remark into the booking)
  • Ba.com now updated with information, including FAQ’s on the baggage restrictions, see Latest Travel News
  • Euro Traveller - Buy on Board (BOB) will not be available, customers will be offered complementary tea/coffee, water, biscuits
Wow, HAL should strike more often!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
According to a post on Twitter to which BA replied, alterations for both Monday and Tuesday will be made tomorrow.
Hopefully before I leave the USA so that I can make an informed decision.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
!
The way I read it is that the Club Europe and Euro Traveller statements apply only to the Airports listed above. Also think that these 2 statements should have been indented under the list of Airports.

So let’s say you’re flying to OTP (Bucharest) or say MAD (Madrid) then I understand it will be normal catering service.

Last edited by BAEC; Aug 3, 2019 at 1:01 pm
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Schwann
My Stockholm B2B is looking fun on Monday.. good job I was planning on HBO!

Although if they let me bin off the Stockholm bit I would be willing.
I have a overnight to Stockholm out Wed, back Thurs AM... not a strike day but last flight the day after when I'm sure there will be knock ons. I could actually handle not travelling but no chance of cancelled flight option with tier point credit.

Guess I'll see what the chaos looks like and if there's a knock and take it from there. Good luck to all actually travelling Monday/Tuesday.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
Given that HAL themselves have said that they expect security times to be significant and that T5 handles the most customers out of all the terminals, this is a sensible approach to help reduce wait times at security. The expectation is that Fast Track and TFW will both be closed unless significant numbers of staff turn up. I'm sure if this was not done, there would then be loads of complaints on here about how many bags had to be screened and how slow the process was, reducing your time in the lounge etc....
I mean there are many potential options - for example, they could use one security zone for passengers with a small bag, and another for those with two bags, with the two-bag-people told to turn up an hour earlier. But arguably this is for security to deal with (and they must think they can cope), and not for BA to interfere with.
thegamebird likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by eugegall
Silly question but I am flying on the 25th. Are we at any form of risk of being cancelled or bumped due to the knock on?
You should be OK, this is after the second strike period, and firstly I doubt the dispute will go on that long, and secondly though there is a risk of crews and resources being out of position, the cancelling of some flights the previous day generally allows for a rapid resumption of the schedule. Now it's not a guarantee, but as you will also know a bit of bad weather can cause havoc too. But I wouldn't be worried in your position.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You should be OK, this is after the second strike period, and firstly I doubt the dispute will go on that long, and secondly though there is a risk of crews and resources being out of position, the cancelling of some flights the previous day generally allows for a rapid resumption of the schedule. Now it's not a guarantee, but as you will also know a bit of bad weather can cause havoc too. But I wouldn't be worried in your position.
Thanks CWS, Thats really good to know!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cauchy
I mean there are many potential options - for example, they could use one security zone for passengers with a small bag, and another for those with two bags, with the two-bag-people told to turn up an hour earlier. But arguably this is for security to deal with (and they must think they can cope), and not for BA to interfere with.
This is about serving the commonweal, which I accept is somewhat out of fashion in these "me, me, me" times. At LHR's biggest terminal during school holidays, a one bag limit, with the rest checked in for free, gives the best chance for everyone to get through efficiently. Devoting effectively extra resources to those who choose to take extra bags isn't helping those who are prepared to be sensible about it. I'm a devoted HBO traveller,, and will remain so for the 2 days in question when I have 4 LHR flights, so I'm not overjoyed by this, but it's just about making a few small, simple, easy to explain adjustments rather than closing the airport down.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by BAEC

The way I read it is that the Club Europe and Euro Traveller statements apply only to the Airports listed above. Also think that these 2 statements should have been indented under the list of Airports.

So let’s say you’re flying to OTP (Bucharest) or say MAD (Madrid) then I understand it will be normal catering service.

Correct, it was a bit clearer on the original Advisory due to the way the paragraphs were indented. Essentially it's for the shorter services only that are getting revised catering, not much in CE but a voucher, but a biscuit/tea/coffee/water in ET. Longer services are planned to have normal catering.
Greg66, wrp96 and BAEC like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:09 pm

This is about serving the commonweal, which I accept is somewhat out of fashion in these "me, me, me" times. At LHR's biggest terminal during school holidays, a one bag limit, with the rest checked in for free, gives the best chance for everyone to get through efficiently. Devoting effectively extra resources to those who choose to take extra bags isn't helping those who are prepared to be sensible about it. I'm a devoted HBO traveller,, and will remain so for the 2 days in question when I have 4 LHR flights, so I'm not overjoyed by this, but it's just about making a few small, simple, easy to explain adjustments rather than closing the airport down.
I think it's fair to characterise this as a "me, me, me" matter. But if security is willing (and presumably able) to handle the baggage screening for 2 bags per person, then it is reasonable for customers to expect this be done. To allude to those who want two bags as not being sensible is perhaps too strong a response. Indeed, to suggest Heathrow would otherwise be closed down is a bit excessive.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
But... T3 serves a number of airlines besides BA. As far as I can tell, only BA is telling its passengers to confine themselves to one small piece of hand baggage. I foresee a degree of frustration standing in the security queues on Monday with the BA-prescribed one bag, behind a bunch of passengers travelling on other airlines with “normal” carry on luggage.
thegamebird and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Greg66

But... T3 serves a number of airlines besides BA. As far as I can tell, only BA is telling its passengers to confine themselves to one small piece of hand baggage. I foresee a degree of frustration standing in the security queues on Monday with the BA-prescribed one bag, behind a bunch of passengers travelling on other airlines with “normal” carry on luggage.

Totally agree. As T3 security are part of HAL and will be striking (they would not police the BA restriction at security), are BA proposing to ask every (including non BA) passenger at T3 security if they are flying BA and can only carry 1 small bag? This really has not been thought through by BA.

Iberia fly from T5 and their advisory does not mention anything on changes to hand baggage restrictions.

https://www.iberia.com/gb/latest-update-of-our-flights/
wrp96 and nancypants like this.

Last edited by BAEC; Aug 3, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by BAEC
Totally agree. As T3 security are part of HAL and will be striking (they would not police the BA restriction at security), are BA proposing to ask every (including non BA) passenger at T3 security if they are flying BA and can only carry 1 small bag? This really has not been thought through by BA.

Iberia fly from T5 and their advisory does not mention anything on changes to hand baggage restrictions.

https://www.iberia.com/gb/latest-update-of-our-flights/
and same for AA https://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i...vel-alerts.jsp

while CX are just silent...
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...dvisories.html
BAEC likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Any word yet on whether the fire fighters are still going out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.