Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
NCL/LHR today @11.50
Was informed about lack of catering at check in (although already aware) and issued with 4xŁ15 vouchers.

Pity there is limited opportunity to use them and unlike the LHR issued ones are only valid for today.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Some catering was found for the lba flight in the end. Choices were tea, coffee, water from bottles - and either granola bar or muffin.

No Yorkshire puddings then
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:45 am

It’s all very easy here. Lounges operate as usual.

There is uncertainty about catering on longer Club Europe flights. I’m flying to ATH and they still have me the vouchers. I told the nice lady that I think I will have catering and she told me: Just take it you fool
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:52 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by rapidex
That's no way to refer to KARFA

M
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk

M
^
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
NCL/LHR today @11.50
Was informed about lack of catering at check in (although already aware) and issued with 4xŁ15 vouchers.

Pity there is limited opportunity to use them and unlike the LHR issued ones are only valid for today.
You can get a fine early morning bacon and sausage stottie in the NCL Beer House. That's if you have enough time to queue behind all the Geordies ordering their pre-departure pints of Peroni...
Passmethesickbag and our_kid like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
would have preferred some parkin

Originally Posted by msm2000uk

M
our_kid likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
would have preferred some parkin
Wrong season for that, surely? Need to wait a few months yet (showing my Yorkshire blood there...)
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Having seen the number of wheeled suitcases airside in T5 today, and even with the best attempts at policing the small bag restriction, it would have been complete carnage.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Lounges operating OK?
Yes all operating fine.

My CE ‘meal’ to GLA - the flapjack was delicious though:

Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
This morning’s BA794 0825 LHR - HEL...

Was advised at T3 flight connections no catering and given a Ł15 voucher.

Upon boarding... menu provided and usual CE breakfast offered!

Tomorrow sounds like it’ll be a different story.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by aks120

Yes all operating fine.

My CE ‘meal’ to GLA - the flapjack was delicious though:

Looks like the only Sin for you today
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Looks like the only Sin for you today
I didn’t look at the calories - I fear I may not be able to eat for a week!

aks120
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:54 am

Any smoke signals from ACAS or are we waiting until BA has cancelled its flights in an hour before yet another last minute stay around 8ish?
adobbing and BAEC like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Winchy78
Any smoke signals from ACAS or are we waiting until BA has cancelled its flights in an hour before yet another last minute stay around 8ish?
Well I went through the First Wing security about an hour ago and HAL employees were quite confident that the strike wont go ahead... of course they have no intel so I guess we just have to wait and see.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.