Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by ens100
Just read that the strikes for tomorrow are suspended - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49225366 Tuesday is still being discussed
I’m going to tempt fate here. Having been in a few late-into-the-night negotiations myself, the pattern that is emerging suggests to me strongly that Tuesday’s strike will also be called off, and I’d be prepared to bet that the ones later in August will be too. Whether the union is being strung along or making progress towards its goal, I don’t know (and may genuinely depend on which side of the table you sit), but it looks like the threat of a strike is extracting a response, one way or another, that averts it.
thegamebird likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Greg66

I’m going to tempt fate here. Having been in a few late-into-the-night negotiations myself, the pattern that is emerging suggests to me strongly that Tuesday’s strike will also be called off, and I’d be prepared to bet that the ones later in August will be too. Whether the union is being strung along or making progress towards its goal, I don’t know (and may genuinely depend on which side of the table you sit), but it looks like the threat of a strike is extracting a response, one way or another, that averts it.
I certainly hope you're right. I tend to agree and am cautiously optimistic that those of us travelling on Tuesday will also be delivered a reprieve tomorrow. ^
adobbing likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed the cancellations have all been removed, and the original flights are back in place as if nothing has happened.

The later T3 services (such as BUD etc ) still show T5 have been moved back to T3.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
- Those who had their services cancelled will be restored to their original services over the next 2 hours.
Somebody pressed on Ctrl-Z but it's taking a while?

All in all this is very good news, hope the talks between BALPA and BA make headway (and not headwind!!) too so we can all enjoy our flights.

Safe travels everyone!
Steve_ZA and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Fast track security T5 operating this AM. Taking one scanner off line to be recalibrated at 4.50am, Q a little longer than usual.

brought a wheelie bag.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:30 pm

Indeed. Lengthy queues for bag drop but club checkin no queue and no queue for fast track security.
Greg66 and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I suspect flight loads will be lighter than normal today since many passengers, like myself, rebooked away from LHR when the strike looked like it was going ahead. Since I refunded the BA ticket and booked elsewhere, I am unable to now switch back to the original flight without financial penalty. So, I am still travelling from LGW.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by crighton
Does anyone know if we will get more than a muffin in CE on the Band1/2 flights where the food offering was reduced tomorrow and, conversely, whether ET will now get BoB or have to pay for coffee?
looks like BA gave just answered:

Information about your British Airways flight: Due to the late postponement of industrial action by Heathrow Airport staff on 5th August, your flight may have a significantly reduced catering offering. Further details can be obtained from our Customer Service team at the airport. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. We look forward to welcoming you on board.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, DL DM
T5 is remarkably pleasant today. Just like any other Monday morning except waaaaaaay quieter. I changed the time of my taxi at about 5pm yesterday to get me here 5 hours before my flight to AUS and elected not to change it back when the strike was called off. Enjoying peace and (relative) solitude in GF 🙂
Greg66 and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Off to oz today, is the first wing open please
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by BA5E
Off to oz today, is the first wing open please
BA Says so on the website
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, DL DM
Yes it is BASE
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
All very quiet in T5 this morning and everything operating as normal - First Wing included. Catering seems to have taken a hit but I got £10 worth of vouchers when I asked - don’t think they are being proactively offered!! My flight has tea, coffee and ‘snacks’ (I suspect the shortbread) but I understand the LBA flight had nothing - not even drinks. Cabin crew told me that this will be the same for tomorrow too so plan accordingly!

On a different note - pray your flight does not leave gate A2 ...... carnage for the GLA flight this morning due to a broken computer - boarding 10 at a time!!

aks120
Greg66 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by aks120
All very quiet in T5 this morning and everything operating as normal - First Wing included. Catering seems to have taken a hit but I got £10 worth of vouchers when I asked - don’t think they are being proactively offered!! My flight has tea, coffee and ‘snacks’ (I suspect the shortbread) but I understand the LBA flight had nothing - not even drinks. Cabin crew told me that this will be the same for tomorrow too so plan accordingly!

On a different note - pray your flight does not leave gate A2 ...... carnage for the GLA flight this morning due to a broken computer - boarding 10 at a time!!

aks120
Lounges operating OK?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Some catering was found for the lba flight in the end. Choices were tea, coffee, water from bottles - and either granola bar or muffin.

mtikky and tedcruz like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:24 am

I was on the 058 last night from Cape Town, and arrived this morning. CCR and other lounges appear to be normal. Fast track was operating as usual.

At the T5 flight connections Fast Track entrance, all passengers connecting onto Club Europe short haul were provided with GBP 10 of vouchers. I’m flying to CFU, which should have catering per the announcement yesterday, but staff here are a bit unclear.

I was a bit surprised that no announcement was made on-board that the strike had been suspended. (I had seen online shortly before boarding).

Check-in staff in CPT agreed very quickly to check my cases through despite being on separate tickets. As I had a six hour wait, I didn’t want to do this myself and risk a potential long wait for bags at T3 and a huge security line landslide... worked out well. (Hobbling around with a thrown out back also had something to do with it).

Best of luck to all travelling tmrw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.