Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Have you found alternative options to discuss?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by zafiragirl
How frustrating is the BA call centre experience in situations like this??

We're booked to fly GLA-LHR-DUB on the 5th, positioning for an ex-DUB trip to the States on AA the following day. I've just called the 0800 rebooking number provided, and after hanging on spoke with an agent somewhere overseas (India?). He advised that, as we have a hotel in DUB attached to the booking, it needs to be dealt with by BA Holidays. He gave me a number and assured me they'd be available now to deal with the rebooking. Of course, when I called the number he gave me, the recorded message says that they're closed until tomorrow morning. I had a similar experience in October last year trying to sort an issue from a Las Vegas hotel room.

Yes, I can call back tomorrow when they open, but I'm seriously concerned that availability for alternative routes to Dublin will disappear fast, and we need to get to Dublin on Monday! Aargh!!
Can you fly GLA to DUB direct first thing on Tues?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
Not yet. I was hoping it's be a simple matter of them suggesting an alternative! How naïve of me! Better get looking then
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:38 pm

I wouldn't dare try a 1st thing on Thursday. The flight to PHL is around 11am and a totally separate booking. If necessary we'd rather go on Sunday night, even though it'll cost us another night in a hotel...
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:46 pm
Suspended

There are direct flights available from GLA to DUB with BA codeshare on Monday.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:51 pm

Yeah, I have my options lined up now I think. I'd prefer to go via LCY on Monday, but if that's not available, probably EI is next choice. Hate those ATRs though... I used to be ground staff at GLA. I know how often they got delayed or cancelled!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:54 pm
Suspended

It’s less risky. See if you can get a refund on your GLA-LHR-DUB return flight and then just book the direct ATR flight.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:00 pm

Is it not better just to ask them to amend the outbound leg to the EI flight? The return leg is DUB-LCY-GLA on the 12th. There are hotels in DUB and in the States attached to the booking too, so it could be messy!

I can argue over the tier points and Avios for the original routing when we get home!
BAEC likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Looking at the GLA DUB issue out of the box...

£53 anytime single by train and ferry
Leave 11:30 from Glasgow Central arrive 22:15 Dublin Connolly via Ayr, Cairnryan and Belfast

There is an alternative leaving Glasgow Central at 07:37 via Warrington Bank Quay
and Holyhead. Getting to Dublin Connolly 18:15

There is also and 8:00 am connection

If you have all day Monday to make the trip and you need alternatives...
george77300 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Very specific question. I have an AA ticket Lhr->HEL-ARN as part of the tail end of the babybus trip, with a separate ticket evening ARN-LHR return. BA are operating carrier for LHR-HEL. Finnair for HEL-ARN

There is a very tight 45m connection in HEL though protected and I m concerned about a delay screwing me for the homebound. Not much later availability on Finnair to ARN from HEL either. If I want to switch to a direct ARN flight from LHR who do I talk to (AA?) and would I get ORC?

Last edited by bisonrav; Aug 2, 2019 at 12:59 am
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Any news on when the decision on strike action for 5th/6th will be announced?
I seem to recall it would be today?

Just need to finalise my plan B arrangements if required.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by adobbing
Any news on when the decision on strike action for 5th/6th will be announced?
I seem to recall it would be today?
Annoyingly the Unite website gives no indication of when they will confirm whether strikes on 5th/6th will go ahead but are still on the table.

Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by BAEC

Annoyingly the Unite website gives no indication of when they will confirm whether strikes on 5th/6th will go ahead but are still on the table.

I’ve got notifications turned on for the Heathrow and Unite twitter accounts today. I’m in Ireland for weekend, fly back to LHR on Monday and on to JFK/SFO on Tuesday. I’d be fine overnighting in Dublin on Monday and flying direct (with ORC) on Tuesday with EI but means I’d be taking passport and different luggage tonight...
BAEC likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

I’ve got notifications turned on for the Heathrow and Unite twitter accounts today.
Good idea, I’ve also just added @unitetheunion
BAEC likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
I also spoke with YouFirst yesterday about this. Myself and Mstr GB are on the BA15 on Tuesday and Mr GB on the same flight the next day (all F redemptions, but there were never x3 seats on either day).

No HBO for us as we're staying there for 8 months! I asked if the son and I could be transferred onto the flight on the 7th with Mr GB, but it was no-go "as there is no redemption availability" and the agent said they'd not been advised that L/H flights could be changed. The agent did read out the speech they'd been given (mentioning some paragraphs in capitals in red!), and said they were confident all L/H flights will leave - which is fine in itself, but I'm now worried our bags will not make it to the plane....

A couple of questions for the hive mind that is F/T - do we know when the ballot results will be announced and therefore the status of the threatened strikes and also do we have a feeling as to whether BA would consider allowing L/H passengers to change and if so at what stage?

I feel like I've had a very slight feeling of panic over the last few weeks..!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.