Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm booked on the 23rd first thing in the morning, and am also booked on 4th September with FR (the day their pilots are meant to be striking) - so hurray for a possible 2 for 2! If I get hit by a strike again, do I get a medal?

M
You will get a DCM from her Majesty. (Dont come Monday)
msm2000uk and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: too many
Appreciate we are still a long wa from knowing whether the strike on the 23rd would go ahead, but in the event it does I'm looking at options. Are the following assumptions correct in each scenario?
I'm flying to NTE on BA (so from LHR), with a car rental booked at the end

As far as I understood from another thread, the BA strike on the 23rd cannot go ahead due to being under the 14 day mark.

If HAL goes on strike, am I right in assuming that:
->No EC261 applicable, BUT duty of care is
->Would rerouting from another London airport onto nearest airport served by BA (e.g. LGW-BOD or LCY-UIP) be valid in this instance? I can then change the rental
->Would rerouting onto another airline (e.g. EasyJet LGW-NTE) be an option?

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ng1265
Appreciate we are still a long wa from knowing whether the strike on the 23rd would go ahead, but in the event it does I'm looking at options. Are the following assumptions correct in each scenario?
I'm flying to NTE on BA (so from LHR), with a car rental booked at the end

As far as I understood from another thread, the BA strike on the 23rd cannot go ahead due to being under the 14 day mark.

If HAL goes on strike, am I right in assuming that:
->No EC261 applicable, BUT duty of care is
->Would rerouting from another London airport onto nearest airport served by BA (e.g. LGW-BOD or LCY-UIP) be valid in this instance? I can then change the rental
->Would rerouting onto another airline (e.g. EasyJet LGW-NTE) be an option?

Thanks!

Depends on the policy BA issues if strikes proceed. For the last strike you could amend all short haul flights a few days before and after even if they weren’t cancelled.

If your flight was cancelled BA were rebooking on most other airlines and if your flight was operating there was a one small personal item hand luggage limit.

The vast majority of cancellations were Edinburgh, Glasgow, Prague the flights with higher frequency flights though Split was cancelled as well. A few flights short and long haul were moved from T3 to T5 to presumably ease transfers.

As with everything however it’s a case of waiting and seeing as we don’t know what’s going to happen. Sorry that doesn’t help you.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:31 pm

Strike has been called off pending results of the latest ballot due 2nd September.

All Heathrow businesses were emailed this evening
CTV, wrp96, golfmad and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Alex Walker
Strike has been called off pending results of the latest ballot due 2nd September.

A notice of the postponement also appears on the Heathrow website.
Good news for everyone heading away for the bank holiday weekend.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: too many
Phew, thanks for the info! I was dreading the moment I would have had to announce to my SO that I could not join her at my in-laws :-)
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Just checking ballot result 2nd September - there would then have to be a notice period for a new strike? Just watching 4 Sept carefully at present. I am not concerned about our return flight I can stay away from Blighty a little longer if required
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Alex Walker

Great news!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
Just checking ballot result 2nd September - there would then have to be a notice period for a new strike? Just watching 4 Sept carefully at present. I am not concerned about our return flight I can stay away from Blighty a little longer if required
Yes, they have to give 14 days notice of any strike date. Although I believe it's 7 if the business agrees, although the chances of that...
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
Yes, they have to give 14 days notice of any strike date. Although I believe it's 7 if the business agrees, although the chances of that...
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.