Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
In a (perhaps futile) to keep this topic separate from the possible BA pilots' strike, I thought I would give it a nudge.

First HAL strike due to hit in 38 hours (ish). Aside from the bland assurance of robust contingency plans to keep LHR open, has anyone heard or read any hard reliable data on how this (seemingly fantastic) objective is going to be achieved?
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Greg66; Jul 24, 2019 at 3:59 am Reason: Timing
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Greg66
In a (perhaps futile) to keep this topic separate from the possible BA pilots' strike, I thought I would give it a nudge.

First HAL strike due to hit in 38 hours (ish). Aside from the bland assurance of robust contingency plans to keep LHR open, has anyone heard or read any hard reliable data on how this (seemingly fantastic) objective is going to be achieved?
If the firefighters go out this objective will fall at the first hurdle.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:03 am

The press is now reporting that the Heathrow Fire staff will now join the proposed strikes, surely this will close the airport?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Good point. There has been an internal discussion about this within the Moderators and Ambassadors, so we will create a separate thread for the Friday / Saturday planned strike by HAL staff to give advice and tips to those travelling. At the moment a full schedule of BA flights is planned.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by DelTroon
The press is now reporting that the Heathrow Fire staff will now join the proposed strikes, surely this will close the airport?
Not for the first strike this weekend, they can only join the second strike onwards
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DelTroon
There is no fire service strike this Friday. They have given notice that they would join the strike action already announced for August 5-6 and August 23-24.
bil likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: LH SEN
Did LHR had any strike of this kind in the past? How was it deal with?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC
The BBC reporting that the strikes have been suspended for this Friday and Saturday!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Mike Gold
The BBC reporting that the strikes have been suspended for this Friday and Saturday!
Sounds like progress at ACAS.
Time for BA to follow suit.
Tenplus401 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Yup, Unite have issued a statement saying the strikes for this weekend have been suspended.

https://unitetheunion.org/news-event...new-pay-offer/
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Ah. So perhaps the robust contingency plan was to offer enough money to avert the strike! ^
JimEddie, rapidex, chrismk and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Mike Gold
Great news for all involved!
Wonder what this means for the 5th & 6th - unavoidably flying LHR to JFK that day and imagine if the Fire staff join in that will grind things to a halt pretty quickly!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Strike dates: 26 July, 27 July, 5 August, 6 August, 23 August and 24 August.

I can (obviously!) read the categories of striking workers, but I have no idea (for example) how many LHR customer service employees who might be striking do things that actually affect passengers. Are they sales staff in the shops? Or are they lounge staff? Or check in staff (who I thought we’re employed by the airlines)?

Anyway, sounds like it’s a first so a bit of a learning experience for everyone. What japes!
Flying LHR/ARN on 7th so not directly impacted but knock on effect could potentially be an issue I imagine. Wonder what BAs policy will be on rebooking/rerouting with or outside of 1W airlines, also would this be deemed as 'outside of the airlines control' I wonder.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by lily23
Has anyone else been able to successfully reschedule their BA flights? I called the YouFirst line yesterday as I have a flight arriving into LHR on July 26 and departing Aug 6, but BA indicated they had no policy so far and wouldn't change my flights without being subject to change fee / fare difference.
I pinged them today asking if they could proactively move our MAN/LHR/BLL flights to the Sunair MAN/BLL direct, o ly reason I didn't book that initially is 6 rewards seats on that = never. They politely declined saying any changes 'at this time' would be subject to normal fare restrictions. That's fair enough I guess and what I expected tbh.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by BKft
Did LHR had any strike of this kind in the past? How was it deal with?
Given bad weather sends LHR into a spiral of mayhem the signs aren't good 😂😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.