Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Skywards
Strike suspended according to Unite on Twitter
Greg66, thegamebird, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Monday's strike suspended, according to a tweet from Unite, to allow more time for talks. No decision re Tuesday yet.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Just for your information, Tomorrow’s strike now suspended pending talks but Tuesdays still on...
thegamebird, wrp96 and BAEC like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by AlastairM
Monday's strike suspended, according to a tweet from Unite, to allow more time for talks. No decision re Tuesday yet.
Hello Wheelie, let’s fly, I won’t leave you at home tomorrow. You will go to the ball.

BBC ticker also reported the strike suspended for tomorrow

Last edited by BAEC; Aug 4, 2019 at 11:45 am
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here is the official Unite press statement,

I'll keep an eye out on what BA is doing, I suspect now it's going to be difficult to change it all back, but I could be wrong.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: QF WP
So do the cancelled flights get reinstated/the Gatwick diversions not happen or what?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Here is the official Unite press statement,

I'll keep an eye out on what BA is doing, I suspect now it's going to be difficult to change it all back, but I could be wrong.
I imagine there’s no coincidence that unite waited until flights had been cancelled before calling it off, Cnuts !
wrp96, kingstontoon and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:59 am

Good news but will wait for a couple of hours before I change the taxi etc I think.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Bonvoy Ambassador + LtG, Hyatt Globalist, United Silver
Just called the BA GGL line to see if carryon policy etc would be amended and First Wing would open up again but they haven't heard about the strike being called off yet. Assume it takes some time to travel through the BA corporate machine.

Anyone have any ideas if we should be expecting business as usual tomorrow?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Does this include the fire service strike or is that separate?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JimEddie
Does this include the fire service strike or is that separate?
Yes, included.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It may take an hour or two before we know whether the baggage régime will change here, and details such as the First Wing security and so on.

But what I do know is that the official arrival/departure screens on the App and BA.com are linked to source data, so if a flight is cancelled, it stays that way until changed. In other words the following link is as up to date as any other information available:

ba.com/arrdep

If you have received an email regarding baggage, and perhaps you have already packed items to fit the requirements, I cannot see BA refusing to check in bags at this stage. So if you were on a Basic ticket (HBO) and now want to check in bags, then I think that would be allowed now. It still needs to conform to the hand baggage dimensions.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Tomorrows strike called off according to BBC:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49225366

Says some flights may be reinstated.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by Greg66
One has to assume that with cancellations formally being announced, the airlines have been informed that they cannot bank on the strike being called off at the 11th hour - ie it is more likely than not to occur, and they are planning accordingly.

Balls.
Hmm. Perhaps if I had had the presence of mind to make this doom laden prediction sooner in the day, Unite would have called off tomorrow's strike earlier in the day. Oh well, live and learn...
TedToToe likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by tr2286
Just called the BA GGL line to see if carryon policy etc would be amended and First Wing would open up again but they haven't heard about the strike being called off yet. Assume it takes some time to travel through the BA corporate machine.

Anyone have any ideas if we should be expecting business as usual tomorrow?
I plan on taking my wheelie on board business as usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.