Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: LH SEN
FYI, the template BA Twitter answer to people asking for details on flight cancellations:

george77300 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by dukesy
I have spoken to BA CS on twitter thi morning, NO LH re being rebooked atm

They offered a Reroute , but only at a cost

They DID clarify baggage situation though.. 23KG PLUS your hand baggage can be checked in ADDITION. (The Email was a little ambiguous)

HTH
That's always the case, BA always lets you check in hand luggage, I always do it as I carry liquids and I never have had an issue.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by BKft
FYI, the template BA Twitter answer to people asking for details on flight cancellations:

Bit of a communications failure here in my view as it is now nearly 20 hours since HAL said they will cancel flights. It obvious that if that if they do it will impact on BA. So really BA should be acknowledging this, even if they can’t yet say which flights and/or if they want to wait to see if there is a deal today.
thegamebird and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BKft

Seems misleading at best... LHR have told them they'll need to cancel flights and BA wont be excluded.

Seems more likely that list will come tomorrow.
thegamebird, wrp96 and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have to say I have a reasonable level of scepticism of the level of service that will be possible at LHR should the strikes take place given the need for suitably trained and security checked staff to do the security screenings and the need for a suitably trained replacement fire service.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Schwann
Seems misleading at best... LHR have told them they'll need to cancel flights and BA wont be excluded.

Seems more likely that list will come tomorrow.
im sure that’s the initial line in the dispute because it’s gone from that to there’s no fast track or first security and just one small bag and arriving 2-3 hours before your flight.. it’s snowmageddon all over again. Sr Cruz is already dusting off his hi viz.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
im sure that’s the initial line in the dispute because it’s gone from that to there’s no fast track or first security and just one small bag and arriving 2-3 hours before your flight.. it’s snowmageddon all over again. Sr Cruz is already dusting off his hi viz.
Alex is partying in Madrid on Monday at the A350 launch dinner - 00.45 scheduled finish!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Raffles

Alex is partying in Madrid on Monday at the A350 launch dinner - 00.45 scheduled finish!
If that flight isn't one of the HAL cancellations
KeaneJohn and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:35 am

anyone know which BA flights will be cancelled?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Garimi
anyone know which BA flights will be cancelled?
We are all waiting till tomorrow to find out. BA were saying they will make an announcement at 1700, which doesn't help as online check in will have been open for hours by then.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by rapidex
If that flight isn't one of the HAL cancellations
Long haul :-)
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Raffles

Long haul :-)
Probably the only one you can guarantee will go. After messing around the VIP's and invited guests with a security failure and no Fire Brigade for a water cannon salute.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:54 am

I am in the USA flying back to LHR, then amsterdam, LHR, LBA. All in 1 A (so no underseat)

I travelled with 1 small hand luggage size bag which I checked (but often dont) which is full and 1 other bag. The other bag cant be checked as it is soft sided (very soft sided) and has all my laptops in it. It isn't large (it can be in expands) but isn't a personal item. I have an overnight stay in the mix above and cant get any more in the other bag.

Do I buy another bag in the USA that can be checked? Or just go for it?

I sense that I could spend a lot of money and then get really annoyed at others sailing through with half a house
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I travelled with 1 small hand luggage size bag which I checked (but often dont) which is full and 1 other bag. The other bag cant be checked as it is soft sided (very soft sided) and has all my laptops in it. It isn't large (it can be in expands) but isn't a personal item. I have an overnight stay in the mix above and cant get any more in the other bag.
Is the "other bag" a wheelie of some sort? My suspicion is that is what they will be looking for. The fact that row 1 has no under seat storage is irrelevant here, all bags will be going overhead, they are just try to stop people bring large or multiple bags through passenger security. Hence it's needs to be a bag that could potentially go under the seat in front like a backpack or shoulder cabin bag. What no-one can say is how rigorous the enforcement will be, it is an unusual situation, however BA have successfully restricted cabin baggage on 3 separate occasions that I can recall.

Very soft sided bags isn't per se an issue, I've seen LDPE bags (bags for life type bags) go through the system, the West Africa flights have a lot of these bags on board. Laptops on the other hand wouldn't be my choice of item to have checked, even if next week there may be plenty of that going on.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Is the "other bag" a wheelie of some sort? My suspicion is that is what they will be looking for. The fact that row 1 has no under seat storage is irrelevant here, all bags will be going overhead, they are just try to stop people bring large or multiple bags through passenger security. Hence it's needs to be a bag that could potentially go under the seat in front like a backpack or shoulder cabin bag. What no-one can say is how rigorous the enforcement will be, it is an unusual situation, however BA have successfully restricted cabin baggage on 3 separate occasions that I can recall.

Very soft sided bags isn't per se an issue, I've seen LDPE bags (bags for life type bags) go through the system, the West Africa flights have a lot of these bags on board. Laptops on the other hand wouldn't be my choice of item to have checked, even if next week there may be plenty of that going on.
It is a holdall which has 2 adjusting sizes. The smallest size is about 25cms high by about 40 long if full (but it won't be and so it will squash a bit smaller).

I have traveled with the wheeled cabin bag that I am checking and this as my second bag dozens of times and never been pulled up on it (even on a more budget airline). I was given a yellow under the seat tag for it on the way out (which I took even through in 1A) so I assume it must look small enough.

That said Amsterdam and LBA are prime cancellation flights. I assume if my checked bag gets to Amsterdam but I don't have time to collect it (ie If I end up having to go back on the plane I arrive on) that I will get it at some point. In theory I arrive in on the 5pm and out on the one at 21.20 and so plenty of time to collect and recheck, but I know they sometimes select an Amsterdam to remove as they are so frequent, the one before me on the way out was cancelled.

The other option is not to check anything and dash out at T3 and take my bags to hotel at T4, which on another day would work well but with just over 3 hours before connecting I am not sure that I will have the time as I would then have to scan back in at T5.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Aug 3, 2019 at 9:54 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.