Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Roryb
I've got a flight out to Japan on BA Tuesday 6th AM on F. Bit confused by the notice - by the First Wing being closed I assume this is just the check in/security lane and not the entire lounge? I was hoping to get away without checked luggage as well - small laptop bag and overhead wheelie case - I guess I can have the argument with the security staff.
I’d expect some proactive identification of large bags in security queues and an invitation to go back to check-in. Wouldn’t want to queue twice given how bad they’ll be. Think we’ll have reports from Monday so should allow informed decisions.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Roryb
I've got a flight out to Japan on BA Tuesday 6th AM on F. Bit confused by the notice - by the First Wing being closed I assume this is just the check in/security lane and not the entire lounge? I was hoping to get away without checked luggage as well - small laptop bag and overhead wheelie case - I guess I can have the argument with the security staff.
I think you would be best advised to pack such that that small bag has what you need plus valuables, and that the wheelie is going into the hold. I would also work on the basis that there is a higher risk than normal of checked bags being delayed a few days at the other end too. On those occasions that I recall some similar restriction being deployed, it was BA staff before security enforcing the restriction, and they weren't allowing exceptions for anyone. If it's a one small bag only restriction it's quite easy to apply, rather than the current allowance. And wheelies are specifically banned. Admittedly the stakes were much higher on these previous occasions. The purpose of the restriction is to cut by more than half the number of items that the security team have to look at, so I don't think it's the right time to look for exceptions. Having said that, it is possible that by Tuesday they may be comfortable to ease off a bit, but in terms of planning your bags, I wouldn't assume you can do this.

The lounges will be open, you will just have to use North or South security along with all passengers.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: FB, GGL, IHG, Hilton
Thanks for the advice. I have zero trust that checked bags will come out the other end at the same time as me, managed 20 years of avoiding checked luggage - will re-provision on the other end.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
I haven't seen any information about hand baggage on domestic - international T5-T5 connections. Presumably this shouldn't be an issue as no further hand baggage screening is required.

It hardly makes sense to close the domestic connections route, reducing staffing by one (presumably less trained) human and creating demand for further baggage screening, a process that requires multiple staff with specific training.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
BBC News this morning reporting that 172 flights will be cancelled, so far can’t see which these would be.
Presumably this list exists somewhere and is ready to be actioned if ACAS talks aren’t productive.

Does anyone know which 172 flights are on the list, or is this still top secret?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by adobbing
Does anyone know which 172 flights are on the list, or is this still top secret?
This was actually mentioned yesterday and is in the wiki above along with an admittedly non-scary mention in BA's Advisory linked from the wiki. That amounts to around 80 BA aircraft so something like 30-40% of departures, or probably more likely half that, if it's arrivals and departures being counted. As mentioned in the wiki, BA traditionally sends out the emails around 17:00 hrs on the day before departure. The reason for doing it then is that once the flight is cancelled, tickets get detached from the service so they can be rebooked. It then becomes impossible to restore this neatly or easily if (e.g.) on Sunday evening HAL and Unite make a breakthrough.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by father_ted
I haven't seen any information about hand baggage on domestic - international T5-T5 connections. Presumably this shouldn't be an issue as no further hand baggage screening is required.

It hardly makes sense to close the domestic connections route, reducing staffing by one (presumably less trained) human and creating demand for further baggage screening, a process that requires multiple staff with specific training.
You are correct, however you can imagine the problem at the departure gate if some domestic passengers roll up with wheelies. So I suspect BA will be at least trying to enforce the one bag rule on domestic connections as mentioned in their Advisory. Now unlike what I said about enforcing this at LHR, it would be difficult at the out-stations, which don't have BA staff, not least because some people would not be continuing your journey, and you would almost want them to do as much HBO as possible, plus some airports have flights to LGW and LCY, so it gets difficult to be consistent.

There isn't much need to close the domestic scan point as far as I can tell, it's could easily be done by a HAL or BA management stand-in.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This was actually mentioned yesterday and is in the wiki above along with an admittedly non-scary mention in BA's Advisory linked from the wiki. That amounts to around 80 BA aircraft so something like 30-40% of departures, or probably more likely half that, if it's arrivals and departures being counted. As mentioned in the wiki, BA traditionally sends out the emails around 17:00 hrs on the day before departure. The reason for doing it then is that once the flight is cancelled, tickets get detached from the service so they can be rebooked. It then becomes impossible to restore this neatly or easily if (e.g.) on Sunday evening HAL and Unite make a breakthrough.
Thanks

So we could expect something definitive after 17:00 on Sunday, until then we should expect radio silence unless there is a breakthrough ?

Presumably the 172 flights would be broken up into something like 86 on Monday and 86 on Tuesday?

Also would the cancellations on each day be broadly similar, so that any cancellations announced for Monday announced after 17:00 on Sunday, would give a clue as to what cancellations could be expected Tuesday?

I am booked on the first flight from MAN to LHR on Tuesday, so trying to work out my chances of successfully arriving on Tuesday morning, attending a funeral so timing is critical and not amendable.

Flying back on the last one up to MAN on Tuesday, not as bothered by a delay or cancellation on that.

Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, KL Gold
T5 B and T5 C flight connections during strike

Does anyone have any knowledge whether flight connections at T5 B and C will be in operation on 5th/6th August if the strike goes ahead ?
Any information would be much appreciated in order to try and avoid the potential chaos at T5 A.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:03 am

I would suspect they would be closed, since T5C in particular is inefficient use of HAL staff. Just clocking in and out there adds 20 plus minutes to the shift. It wouldn't make sense to close Fast Track and keep T5C open. But I have no specific information.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Greg66

Looking at IB’s website and AA’s website (who frequently codeshare with BA) it appears that IB aren’t distinguishing between SH and LH flights or outbound vs inbound when it comes to rebooking, and AA may not be. SH outbound only for rebooking also seems to be a BA thing.
Probably because IB have no long haul flights out of LHR and AA have no short haul flights out of LHR.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fishflyer
Does anyone have any knowledge whether flight connections at T5 B and C will be in operation on 5th/6th August if the strike goes ahead ?
Any information would be much appreciated in order to try and avoid the potential chaos at T5 A.
Plan is for T5B an T5C connections security to be closed, will all passengers pushed over to T5A.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BAEC
As transit passengers must clear security at LHR.
Unless they are coming off a domestic and transferring to another T5 flight.

So, I'd guess somebody doing a MAN-LHR-JFK would get away with the usual hand baggage.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think you would be best advised to pack such that that small bag has what you need plus valuables, and that the wheelie is going into the hold. I would also work on the basis that there is a higher risk than normal of checked bags being delayed a few days at the other end too. On those occasions that I recall some similar restriction being deployed, it was BA staff before security enforcing the restriction, and they weren't allowing exceptions for anyone. If it's a one small bag only restriction it's quite easy to apply, rather than the current allowance. And wheelies are specifically banned. Admittedly the stakes were much higher on these previous occasions. The purpose of the restriction is to cut by more than half the number of items that the security team have to look at, so I don't think it's the right time to look for exceptions. Having said that, it is possible that by Tuesday they may be comfortable to ease off a bit, but in terms of planning your bags, I wouldn't assume you can do this.

The lounges will be open, you will just have to use North or South security along with all passengers.
Do you think this will be more the case at T5 rather than T3 where BA have much more sway. At T3 they would need to be policed by all the airlines before security, and I can’t really see that happening.

My issue is that we are traveling down from Newcastle (staying over at LHR) and planned to have 3 smallish cases and a backpack for on board. At a push we might be able to get this down to two and check in one more at T3. Other bags checked in direct from NCL) I don’t have alternative bags and there are certain things we need on board due to one child having a disability and the other a nut allergy (we have to take her food with us) and this is a LH flight. Add to this the potential delay for checked bags, we will need a change of clothes etc.

My issue, as with anything like this, is that those who follow the rules suffer and those who ignore them end up getting what they want and carry on regardless.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by adobbing
Also would the cancellations on each day be broadly similar, so that any cancellations announced for Monday announced after 17:00 on Sunday, would give a clue as to what cancellations could be expected Tuesday?

I am booked on the first flight from MAN to LHR on Tuesday, so trying to work out my chances of successfully arriving on Tuesday morning, attending a funeral so timing is critical and not amendable.
The pattern that we have seen in the past is that domestics do get the hit, yes, and sometimes it is the same service twice over. Because your flight is a night stop you get a slightly clearer view than some, since on Sunday they would announce if the Monday northbound would be running. If it was, then there would be every chance of the Tuesday morning service running. Also night stops are perhaps slightly less likely to go since that ends up with crews out of position for the next day's rota.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.