Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not looking good!

Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by Fontana
They are literally dragging this today. Wish they either would call it off or announce the strikes for Mon/Tue. I too have a flight on Monday.
AIUI the strikes are on until called off. The dates of 5th and 6th were announced a couple of weeks ago.

I’ve just amended our meet & greet car parking booking to gives us an additional hour. £19 for the extra bloody hour! All the more galling as it is booked through Heathrow.com, which I assume has something to do with HAL. Grrrr.

ETA: just got off the phone to YouFirst. The line I was given is that the hand baggage restriction applies to all passengers irrespective of cabin. No offers to allow rebooking of LH flights. Lots of “the strike a couple of weeks ago was called off at the last minute and hopefully this one will be too” though.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Greg66; Aug 2, 2019 at 9:26 am
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I am flying LHR-MUC on Monday. The terrible part is that BA do not seem to have a cancellation policy. I would prefer switching to EZ from LGW but as present cannot refund my BA ticket.

I am in CE, will get no food and at the time we most need Fast Track or the First Wing they close them. This is not the service I purchased and I wish to cancel for a full refund.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
This on email for 5th / 6th August.

The number of security lanes will be reduced. Fast Track and The First Wing will be closed. We expect that it will take longer than usual to pass through security, so please arrive in good time.

You’ll only be allowed to take one small personal item of hand baggage that can fit under the seat in front of you. Any additional items of hand baggage must be checked in.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by NeilP
You’ll only be allowed to take one small personal item of hand baggage that can fit under the seat in front of you. Any additional items of hand baggage must be checked in.
Is the general consensus that this hand baggage restriction will only apply to outbound flights from LHR. So If you are flying to LHR then normal baggage allowances apply?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by PointsPointsPoints
Is the general consensus that this hand baggage restriction will only apply to outbound flights from LHR. So If you are flying to LHR then normal baggage allowances apply?
It is for outbound and connecting flights.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by BKft
It is for outbound and connecting flights.
As transit passengers must clear security at LHR.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Strike likely to happen then...

Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
My Stockholm B2B is looking fun on Monday.. good job I was planning on HBO!

Although if they let me bin off the Stockholm bit I would be willing.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by BAEC

As transit passengers must clear security at LHR.
It’s going to be my first time transferring from T5 to T3 after a MAN-LHR flight on Monday, will I also have to clear security after a domestic connection before my flight to Prague?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:49 am

The Sun says (I won't go in how credible or not they are):

HEATHROW will be plunged into chaos next week as 172 flights have been cancelled over strikes affecting thousands of passengers
Due to the planned strikes, the airport has worked with airlines including BA to "proactively cancel" 172 flights out of the hub.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by EK17

It’s going to be my first time transferring from T5 to T3 after a MAN-LHR flight on Monday, will I also have to clear security after a domestic connection before my flight to Prague?
Yes you will.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NeilP

This is an interesting one:
What happens if you are in Row 1 - how will it work and who will enforce it, when and where?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
What happens if you are in Row 1 - how will it work and who will enforce it, when and where?
I presume they gave this descriptive manner so the people undertand what a small bag (for hand baggage) is.
nancypants and Brisbane Road like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Yes it doesn’t say that it must be under the seat in front of you, just a description of size.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.