Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First (maybe only) First with unfortunate extra!

First (maybe only) First with unfortunate extra!

Old Jul 12, 19, 3:42 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Posts: 235
First (maybe only) First with unfortunate extra!

Iíve not been on FlyerTalk for a wee while so I thought Iíd update on our INV-LHR-HKG-LHR-INV trip. It also included HKG-CNS on CX (J) and BNE-HKG on QF (Y)

Our return journey from Hong Kong was in First. Our first First and probably our only First!! Thanks to advice from everyone here - we were booked on BA32 - the A380.

I was really looking forward to it. We arrived in Hong Kong 3 days before to do some sightseeing and finish of our trip Down Under by flying home in First.

I got out of hospital at 11am with our flight at 11pm and was nursing a broken wrist! I slipped on steps at the Lions Pavilion at the Peak. Bounced down all 5 steps and shattered my wrist in 2 places.

An operation and 2 days in the Hong Kong Adventist Hospital later....

The insurance company wanted us to delay our flight for 24 hours but we said we were flying home in First and paid with avios - insurance person suddenly went quiet!! We had to obtain a Fit to Fly note from the surgeon to present to check-in.

Hong Kongís in-town check in has to be the best thing ever!! Due to my hospitalisation, I booked all the luggage (2 bags) under my husbandís name so he got the hotel shuttle bus to Central Station and got them checked in. Then came to collect me from hospital. We decided to check in my hand luggage and the check-in staff took a copy of the Fit to Fly letter.

We headed out to the airport around 2pm as I really couldnít do anything. Lounge hopped from The Wing First to The Pier First to Qantas.... Couldnít get a foot massage!

I think boarding was called at 2210 so it was nice to head in Group 1 boarding and onto the exclusive airbridge for First passengers. I have to say, I looked anything but glamorous for travelling in First! I was wearing the sexy compression stockings with shorts, a massive foam arm sling, hair a mess due to being unable to wash/dry/style properly!!



A PBD of champagne- was it LPGS I have no idea! We took off and my husband sat on the ottoman and we had dinner together. I really should have followed the FT advice and avoided the beef. But I didnít fancy anything else (plus the Adventist Hospital is a vegetarian hospital so needed a bit of beef!!) I asked for it medium-rare and the CC said it was already cooked but would try his best. It was tough as old boots. My husband struggled to cut it up for me. It resembled pulled pork by the time he finished. Tough and absolutely devoid of flavour. The CC apologised for the beef and asked if I wanted another main course. I declined. We decided not to have the cheese but asked for the vanilla ice cream for dessert. This was to come with chocolate sauce, meringue and pistachios. What came was a bowl with 2 frozen lumps of ice-cream!! I would be bloody p*ssed off if I went to a Michelin star restaurant and got served food like what we got in First Class. We felt the food in Club World o the way our to HKG was a far superior product to what we received in First. Didnít see the chocolates either!

Dinner over and I requested that my bed was made up. Being deaf - I do feel every bit of movement on a flight. I have to say the fully flat bed is great and I did sleep well. Maybe the Tramadol had something to do with it!

Breakfast time and there is no smoothie!

We got into London around 0450. BA has put back out INV flight from 1015 to 1620 so a long day in the Concorde Room beckoned. Managed to get a facial at the Elemis Spa. Couldnít get a shower as my protective arm sleeve had got checked in with my hand luggage. Hubby tried to wash/dry my hair but heís never going to have a career change as a hairdresser! Eventually we board and arrive in Inverness at 1800. Luggage took forever to come through whilst my friend was waiting in arrivals. We got back to friendís house to have a quick bit of dinner and then drive the 2 hours home. We leapfrogged our way down the A9, stopping in lay-bys to have rest (I couldnít drive). Got home at midnight!

I complained to BA concerning both legs of the journey to/from HKG. My IFE was broken and had to use a combination of swizzle sticks/toothbrush to try to hold the screen in position! The food in First was simply poor. Plus my husband had recommended I watch Stan and Ollie. It did not come with subtitles which I am reliant on due to profound deafness.

Back come the standard copy/paste email of how sorry they were that the food wasnít their usual standard and a broken IFE is not their usual high standard (CC had said it was broken on a previous flight) and they do have headphones that work with hearing aids on T setting. Deafness is a complicated disability. I rely on subtitles and lipreading as well as wearing extremely powerful hearing aids. If I canít see the subtitles, I have no idea what is being said in the film. BA has a complete disregard for deaf people. Not many films are subtitled. None of the TV programmes are subtitled. I wanted to watch my fellow countryman, Billy Connolly and letís face it - most English people need subtitles to understand him!! Yep Friends episodes - no subtitles. The deaf are being dictated to by BA what they can and cannot watch. We should be able to watch 100% of content with subtitles. But no it does not happen.

BA gave me compensation of 16,500 avios and gave my husband 16,500 avios. He didnít have a broken IFE, he didnít have the inedible beef but he did have the undressed ice-cream and he isnít deaf. So why does BA compensate him for the things that went wrong for me?? We do have the HHA and share everything but it doesnít make sense!

All BA say is that they are sorry it is not their usual standard but what exactly do they do about it?? Forum reading on FT - very little by the sound of it.

After 6 weeks off work....heading back to work on Tuesday!

Passmethesickbag likes this.
FEMW is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 4:16 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 192
Sounds like quite a few things going wrong. :/

As for the compensation, my guess would be that it was easier approval wise to give you both those points than to try to get you more and less for your husband, even if the total between you would have been the same. My understanding is that the system has limits on what it can give for certain things and this was probably a way to maximise what you could be given without extra oversight
hypercrypt is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 4:39 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Posts: 4,828
Did they give you EU261 compensation for the very long delay arriving in INV, or was it weather related? 6 hours definitely qualifies!

Sorry to to hear about the dodgy experience. I think BA stretches itself and canít deliver way too often. Sometimes the basics delivered reliably are better
lorcancoyle is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 6:07 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire Ambassador / SPG Gold
Posts: 1,803
Originally Posted by FEMW View Post
Iíve not been on FlyerTalk for a wee while so I thought Iíd update on our INV-LHR-HKG-LHR-INV trip. It also included HKG-CNS on CX (J) and BNE-HKG on QF (Y)

Our return journey from Hong Kong was in First. Our first First and probably our only First!! Thanks to advice from everyone here - we were booked on BA32 - the A380.

I was really looking forward to it. We arrived in Hong Kong 3 days before to do some sightseeing and finish of our trip Down Under by flying home in First.

I got out of hospital at 11am with our flight at 11pm and was nursing a broken wrist! I slipped on steps at the Lions Pavilion at the Peak. Bounced down all 5 steps and shattered my wrist in 2 places.

An operation and 2 days in the Hong Kong Adventist Hospital later....

The insurance company wanted us to delay our flight for 24 hours but we said we were flying home in First and paid with avios - insurance person suddenly went quiet!! We had to obtain a Fit to Fly note from the surgeon to present to check-in.

Hong Kongís in-town check in has to be the best thing ever!! Due to my hospitalisation, I booked all the luggage (2 bags) under my husbandís name so he got the hotel shuttle bus to Central Station and got them checked in. Then came to collect me from hospital. We decided to check in my hand luggage and the check-in staff took a copy of the Fit to Fly letter.

We headed out to the airport around 2pm as I really couldnít do anything. Lounge hopped from The Wing First to The Pier First to Qantas.... Couldnít get a foot massage!

I think boarding was called at 2210 so it was nice to head in Group 1 boarding and onto the exclusive airbridge for First passengers. I have to say, I looked anything but glamorous for travelling in First! I was wearing the sexy compression stockings with shorts, a massive foam arm sling, hair a mess due to being unable to wash/dry/style properly!!



A PBD of champagne- was it LPGS I have no idea! We took off and my husband sat on the ottoman and we had dinner together. I really should have followed the FT advice and avoided the beef. But I didnít fancy anything else (plus the Adventist Hospital is a vegetarian hospital so needed a bit of beef!!) I asked for it medium-rare and the CC said it was already cooked but would try his best. It was tough as old boots. My husband struggled to cut it up for me. It resembled pulled pork by the time he finished. Tough and absolutely devoid of flavour. The CC apologised for the beef and asked if I wanted another main course. I declined. We decided not to have the cheese but asked for the vanilla ice cream for dessert. This was to come with chocolate sauce, meringue and pistachios. What came was a bowl with 2 frozen lumps of ice-cream!! I would be bloody p*ssed off if I went to a Michelin star restaurant and got served food like what we got in First Class. We felt the food in Club World o the way our to HKG was a far superior product to what we received in First. Didnít see the chocolates either!

Dinner over and I requested that my bed was made up. Being deaf - I do feel every bit of movement on a flight. I have to say the fully flat bed is great and I did sleep well. Maybe the Tramadol had something to do with it!

Breakfast time and there is no smoothie!

We got into London around 0450. BA has put back out INV flight from 1015 to 1620 so a long day in the Concorde Room beckoned. Managed to get a facial at the Elemis Spa. Couldnít get a shower as my protective arm sleeve had got checked in with my hand luggage. Hubby tried to wash/dry my hair but heís never going to have a career change as a hairdresser! Eventually we board and arrive in Inverness at 1800. Luggage took forever to come through whilst my friend was waiting in arrivals. We got back to friendís house to have a quick bit of dinner and then drive the 2 hours home. We leapfrogged our way down the A9, stopping in lay-bys to have rest (I couldnít drive). Got home at midnight!

I complained to BA concerning both legs of the journey to/from HKG. My IFE was broken and had to use a combination of swizzle sticks/toothbrush to try to hold the screen in position! The food in First was simply poor. Plus my husband had recommended I watch Stan and Ollie. It did not come with subtitles which I am reliant on due to profound deafness.

Back come the standard copy/paste email of how sorry they were that the food wasnít their usual standard and a broken IFE is not their usual high standard (CC had said it was broken on a previous flight) and they do have headphones that work with hearing aids on T setting. Deafness is a complicated disability. I rely on subtitles and lipreading as well as wearing extremely powerful hearing aids. If I canít see the subtitles, I have no idea what is being said in the film. BA has a complete disregard for deaf people. Not many films are subtitled. None of the TV programmes are subtitled. I wanted to watch my fellow countryman, Billy Connolly and letís face it - most English people need subtitles to understand him!! Yep Friends episodes - no subtitles. The deaf are being dictated to by BA what they can and cannot watch. We should be able to watch 100% of content with subtitles. But no it does not happen.

BA gave me compensation of 16,500 avios and gave my husband 16,500 avios. He didnít have a broken IFE, he didnít have the inedible beef but he did have the undressed ice-cream and he isnít deaf. So why does BA compensate him for the things that went wrong for me?? We do have the HHA and share everything but it doesnít make sense!

All BA say is that they are sorry it is not their usual standard but what exactly do they do about it?? Forum reading on FT - very little by the sound of it.

After 6 weeks off work....heading back to work on Tuesday!


i appreciate you have addition needs
but everything else you describe is simply the norm on BA. The planes are bogging, the food inedible and no one cares. Customer relations are ( and excuse me here) profoundly deaf to any complaints. BA do not care and the sooner people wake up to this the better. BA first is an inferior J product that is beaten hands down by most other J products and is not a patch on the genuine F products of other airlines.

I wish you a our a speedy recovery for your wrist
FEMW, mikem004, wemyss and 1 others like this.
binman is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 1:00 am
  #5  
formerly fdemoulin
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Posts: 679
Ouch, same thing happened to me in Mauritius last November you must be very brave as I couldn’t face anything on my return CW flight, let alone try and eat beef which needs cutting. Word of advice do see your local GP as I had to have a revision op and only just able to return to the gym and drive in may. The wrist can be very tricky. Wishing you a speedy recovery
becks1 likes this.
fdem is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 3:50 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Balham - Gateway to The South
Programs: BA Bronze
Posts: 2,020
I have travelled with my Mother who is profoundly deaf and has a cochlear implant, I asked for the special headphones - the cabin crew had never heard of them.
We were in W LHR-JFK - I didnít ask on the return leg in F as it was a night flight.
Promising and delivering are not the same.
FEMW likes this.
missdimeaner is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 6:19 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 30,441
Sorry to hear about the OP’s assorted tribulations. But, sadly, the ‘not-quite First’ experience seems not uncommon here. We certainly wouldn’t consider F unless on a 2-4-1 ... CW is good enough, TBH.
mrow and FEMW like this.
T8191 is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 7:40 am
  #8  
THR
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 539
Originally Posted by binman View Post
I wish you a our a speedy recovery for your wrist
Was it really necessary to quote the ENTIRE post?
SK, JamieG, T8191 and 1 others like this.
THR is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 7:42 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 30,441
Originally Posted by THR View Post
Was it really necessary to quote the ENTIRE post?
... or indeed any of it!
JamieG likes this.
T8191 is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 10:11 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Offshore Island
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 272
What are these 'special' headphones ?
TheOldMan is offline  
Old Jul 17, 19, 9:12 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
What are these 'special' headphones ?
They are able to allow the hearing aid user to turn the hearing aids to the T position which allows us to block out surrounding noise and lets us hear the music/dialogue directly in our ears. The problem is the headphones were effective with the old analogue hearing aids but I don't find it effective with the new digital aids. I am totally reliant on subtitles. Deafness is a complex disability - some use BSL sign language, some need subtitles, others have age-related deafness where these headphones will work. From what I hear of the new First headphones - they are painful after one film. If you have hearing aids AND the painful First headphones... well you can work that one out.

BA think they can tick the box that the 'special headphones' ticks all boxes for deaf people. it doesn't. If I have to watch something and there's no subtitles - I have to spend so much energy just trying to understand what is being said, that it ends up being a really stressful experience for me - this is what BA do not understand. It is the same for Audio Described which is what visually impaired people need in order to watch a film. I'm not sure how many films on the IFE have this but it's probably not as much as the captioned. Perhaps someone can put me right?
FEMW is offline  
Old Jul 17, 19, 9:14 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by fdem View Post
Ouch, same thing happened to me in Mauritius last November you must be very brave as I couldnít face anything on my return CW flight, let alone try and eat beef which needs cutting. Word of advice do see your local GP as I had to have a revision op and only just able to return to the gym and drive in may. The wrist can be very tricky. Wishing you a speedy recovery
Thanks! Just started back at work yesterday and drove for the first time at the weekend.
FEMW is offline  
Old Jul 17, 19, 9:17 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle View Post
Did they give you EU261 compensation for the very long delay arriving in INV, or was it weather related? 6 hours definitely qualifies!

Sorry to to hear about the dodgy experience. I think BA stretches itself and canít deliver way too often. Sometimes the basics delivered reliably are better
No. EU261 didn't apply as the flight alteration happened a few months prior to our trip. At the time I thought 'great - get to spend more time in the Concorde Room!' We did think the CW food on the outbound was far superior to the F inbound.
FEMW is offline  
Old Jul 17, 19, 10:51 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: MAN
Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 330
Originally Posted by FEMW View Post
We decided not to have the cheese but asked for the vanilla ice cream for dessert. This was to come with chocolate sauce, meringue and pistachios. What came was a bowl with 2 frozen lumps of ice-cream!! I would be bloody p*ssed off if I went to a Michelin star restaurant and got served food like what we got in First Class.
Expecting Michelin star dining on a metal tube, even in F, is always going to lead to disappointment. I've toured the kitchens at Restaurant Gordon Ramsay and they are amazing. Now, compare to the galley on an aircraft and it's not hard to see that you aren't going to get close to Michelin standards.
DeathSlam, Hilde and abligh like this.
Crofton138 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 12:56 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL
Posts: 338
Originally Posted by Crofton138 View Post
Expecting Michelin star dining on a metal tube, even in F, is always going to lead to disappointment. I've toured the kitchens at Restaurant Gordon Ramsay and they are amazing. Now, compare to the galley on an aircraft and it's not hard to see that you aren't going to get close to Michelin standards.
Expecting airline food, even in F, to match any restaurant I'd choose to visit would be way too hopeful. Besides the size of kitchen point, most savoury restaurant dishes have at least one element that has had heat rapidly applied (think fried, grilled, flamed, etc.) - all these are impossible in an airline galley (think about the dangers of hot oil in turbulence). They are in essence just reheating stuff. Expect it therefore to taste like reheated food, and be grateful if it exceeds this.

Now what they could (but don't) do well is wine ...
MSPeconomist and Crofton138 like this.
abligh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: