Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA A319 G-EUPF nosewheel pushback incident LBA

Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire

I was first surprised why my BA Leeds -London shuttle is full then I got to the airport and as it looks to me the morning rotation suffered either a push back incident or when it arrived some sort of problem with the front gear. It is blocking the gate and I dont think it is going anywhere soon.
Anyone knows what exactly happened?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Didn't the airport have some drone issues earlier?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Well Im not sure about the drones but the plane front gear is in a 90 degree angle also in a half way pushed back position
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
British Airways A319 G-EUPF BA1341 Leeds Bradford Nosewheel Incident. | The BA Source

British Airways A319 G-EUPF preparing to operate BA1341 Leeds Bradford – London Heathrow pushed back this morning but an incident with the tug damaged the aircraft nosewheel assembly and caused the nosewheel to turn by 90 degrees. The flight was subsequently cancelled.
Krisz and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Issues indeed! Two planes on the ground here this evening now.

Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Didn't the airport have some drone issues earlier?
the drone issues happened around 2-3pm. Quite a few diversions
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EI, VS
I was on BA1341 this morning and sent through the report to The BASource that is quoted above. All was going swimmingly and on time and we started to pushback. We got about 15 feet and there was a juddering, sudden stop and I thought uh oh, that doesnt sound good. Sure enough the pilot came on to say there had been a problem with the tug and they needed an engineer to assess the nose gear. After assessment we were disembarked in small groups to prevent destabilising the aircraft. The landing gear was turned through 90 degrees and looked like some collapse as well. After some waiting I was rebooked on the 1750 departure which was unsuitable for me as my VS flight to JFK was scheduled for 1545. Long story short is I am now going Aer Lingus LBA-DUB-EWR on Saturday. Managed to preserve the return legs on VS next Friday and BA next Saturday even though I havent flown either of the outbound sectors. 3022 one way for my Aer Lingus J flight tomorrow, thank god for business travel insurance. EC261 claim submitted, refund for todays BA sector in process, but overall rather stressful and annoying. Id rather not have tried to taxi, take off and most importantly tried to land on this though ...

Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
How come you didn't get rebooked by the airline?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
How come you didn't get rebooked by the airline?
I was rebooked by BA for the evening flight (even knew about it being cancelled and being rebooked by text message before the Swissport ground staff did), but my onward Virgin flight was a separate booking and therefore no obligation for BA to do anything for that unfortunately. Virgin couldnt rebook me as on a restricted J ticket (unless I wanted to pay 5700 to fly on Saturday), but they did preserve the return for next Friday which was good. The timings meant I had no chance to train it or drive it in time to get to T3 for the 1545 VS flight.
Schwann and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:29 pm

Heres my close up picture ...

GaxxyFlyer, SK, Krisz and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by allycat53

I was rebooked by BA for the evening flight (even knew about it being cancelled and being rebooked by text message before the Swissport ground staff did), but my onward Virgin flight was a separate booking and therefore no obligation for BA to do anything for that unfortunately. Virgin couldnt rebook me as on a restricted J ticket (unless I wanted to pay 5700 to fly on Saturday), but they did preserve the return for next Friday which was good. The timings meant I had no chance to train it or drive it in time to get to T3 for the 1545 VS flight.
I see! Expensive day for the travel insurer then!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:37 pm

Yes, I rather think we have made a lot more out of them than vice versa in the last 12 months since I had a curtailed trip and early return and change fees last year due to a death in the family but they paid up without a murmur.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:38 am

Back at LBA this morning to go to EWR via DUB. Spotted a couple of BA engineers outside and asked them if they were here to fix G-EUPF and they are. They said it appears the tow bar snapped as we were pushing back and before the tug could stop it pushed into the landing gear and turned the wheels 90 degrees and damaged the whole assembly. They apologised on behalf of BA which I thought was a nice touch given it was Swissport handling the ground ops.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Looks familiar... MAN a few years back.

allycat53 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:42 am

Always best to keep your hand off the nose wheel steering during pushback unless you fancy a broken wrist.
Passmethesickbag and YacozA like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.