Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights cancelled months in advance??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
An explanation of the process behind these cancellations, which happens twice a year, and what you can do about them, can be found in the BA Forum Dashboard, under the Clinic section, in the thread Managing Timetable Changes.
icebird, orbitmic, ukflo and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Often1
Fairly common. Not just BA.
Actually, in my experience, BA does it a lot more than the main other European airlines (though not US airlines which are even more likely to cancel flight, but much nearer the date) and have done it a lot more since last year than before.

I know it is anecdotal, but before last year, I had probably about 2 flights a year suffering those advance cancellations with BA and last year it was about 8-9 and those past few days another 5, each time mostly short haul. Similarly, in the same period, none of my relatively many AF, KL or LX flights have been cancelled on a specific day (though I twice got a flight that was axed for the entire schedule period, once with KL and once with LX).

It may of course be sheer luck but I suspect it is not the case and that rather, BA is more ruthless when it comes to trying to optimise its short haul load factor, especially in the winter season, and quite willing to trust their RM models to cancel one given flight on one given day when the number don't seem to be there. Maybe others will follow suit, who knows, but at this stage, I think it is a bit of a "BA special" on the European scene.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:22 pm

I have also a BA flight cancelled from LHR to OSL. I have been put on a flight that leaves 3h10m later. This creates some problems since I then may miss my last train from OSL.

I had originally UUA this flight from Y to C and I am BA Gold. Is there any chance they can put me on the AY flight at 1335 to HEL and then to OSL? BA has a direct flight also to OSL but that is at 1240 and too early for me since I have some plans in the morning.

Just wanted to check here if I have any chance before calling BA. Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:26 pm

Had the outbound LHRVLC for a December trip re-timed about a week ago (departing 90mins later than originally booked). However yesterday the inbound VLCLHR was cancelled completely on our day of travel with the rebook to the VLCLHR service the previous day.

In this situation am I able to request a reroute LGWALC / ALCLGW as this would be the preferred routing? There was no ALCLGW service on the day I wanted to fly home hence the booked LHRVLC/VLCLHR fare. Now this too has been cancelled I just wanted to know what my options are.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Had the outbound LHRVLC for a December trip re-timed about a week ago (departing 90mins later than originally booked). However yesterday the inbound VLCLHR was cancelled completely on our day of travel with the rebook to the VLCLHR service the previous day.

In this situation am I able to request a reroute LGWALC / ALCLGW as this would be the preferred routing? There was no ALCLGW service on the day I wanted to fly home hence the booked LHRVLC/VLCLHR fare. Now this too has been cancelled I just wanted to know what my options are.
i suspect they will say yes to this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by TravelManBiz
I have also a BA flight cancelled from LHR to OSL. I have been put on a flight that leaves 3h10m later. This creates some problems since I then may miss my last train from OSL.

I had originally UUA this flight from Y to C and I am BA Gold. Is there any chance they can put me on the AY flight at 1335 to HEL and then to OSL? BA has a direct flight also to OSL but that is at 1240 and too early for me since I have some plans in the morning.

Just wanted to check here if I have any chance before calling BA. Thanks
unlikely in my experience. They will be happy to move you to the 12.40 or any nonstop the day before or after or give you a full refund and you can then book what you wish.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just had a email telling me the LHR-MCT on November 21st had been cancelled and I was rebooked for the following day. Called up and got moved to a day earlier than my original flight. No real problem for me but I imagine it could cause problems for others who are not as flexible.

The joys of international air travel.....
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Avios
DFW-LHR also cancelled 1 Jan 2020

I got the message from BA last week that BA192 from Dallas to Heathrow was cancelled on January 1st. Booked this in the last sale, in First. The computer moved me to BA192 a day later, but as we are flying in from Fort Myers, I didn’t fancy the 29 hour layover. A quick call moved us onto AA78 on the original day, remaining in first class instead. So the change has actually cut the layover from five hours to three, which suits me fine.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Add BA274 to LAS on 5th Feb 2020
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
My Inverness flights were changed so I couldn't do a same day roundtrip. Was advised that the flights can be changed +/- 2 days to suit passenger.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
i suspect they will say yes to this.
Thanks for this and yes they did accept my suggested reroute from LHRVLC VLCLHR to LGWALC ALCLGW and have reissued the e-tickets accordingly while I was on the phone. The call routed to the Indian contact centre where everything was very quickly and efficiently handled.
Also very happy with the outcome - before calling I'd checked Club fares to ALC for the dates needed and these were coming in at £616pp compared to the £232 I'd paid for the original VLC flights in Club. All be it now we get a shorter duration away, the drive from ALC is 90mins shorter than from VLC
​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.