Wiki Posts
Search

Flight changes advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Flight changes advice

British Airways are trying my patience with flight changes recently. First it was changing my MIA sectors later this hear from A380 to Mid-J 747 and now the real kicker.

Mrs SHT88T and I are booked in Club to fly KUL-BHD in December. We were due to change to a BA service at LHR departing at 0645. This now seems to have been changed to to 0630 which leaves only 55 minutes between our arrival from KUL and departure to Belfast.

BA have moved us to Aer Lingus at 1105, not only giving us a 5hr 30 layover but also putting us in economy. Before I call, is it likely that I can ask to be ticketed on the 0630 to BHD or will they not budge due to MCT? If not able to get on the 0645, am I entitled to ask for a re-route which ensures I can meet the 0630 to BHD? We are back to work the following day and the reason for flying BA Club was to get some sleep and be home for breakfast.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
They wont budge on MCT, but would look at other connection options from LHR with codeshares etc,
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A P Yu
They wont budge on MCT, but would look at other connection options from LHR with codeshares etc,
I thought this may be the case. Codeshare options for LHR to BHD are limited and they have moved us to the first available flight. We’ll lose all the benefits of CE because Aer Lingus only have Y but this is not my main concern.

It seems the only possibly way to achieve the desired outcome of being home for breakfast will be to get out of KUL a bit earlier?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by SHT88T

I thought this may be the case. Codeshare options for LHR to BHD are limited and they have moved us to the first available flight. We’ll lose all the benefits of CE because Aer Lingus only have Y but this is not my main concern.

It seems the only possibly way to achieve the desired outcome of being home for breakfast will be to get out of KUL a bit earlier?
And see if they will book you KUL - SIN - LHR? Does the SIN flight land a little earlier? Is there an MH KUL-SIN Code share?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A P Yu
And see if they will book you KUL - SIN - LHR? Does the SIN flight land a little earlier? Is there an MH KUL-SIN Code share?
SIN is an option, yes. Unfortunately the MH codeshare is scheduled to arrive same time as the BA.

We are actually starting our trip home in MNL so the routing will be MNL-KUL on a separate Avios booking a day prior to KUL-LHR-BHD. We can give our day in KL a by ball and come straight home on a routing like MNL-HKG-BHD which does meet MCT in LHR. Would BA be likely to offer that option in the circumstances?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
BA will typically allow you to shift to a different origin within 300 miles. So you could possibly switch to SIN-LHR.

Or is there a LHR-DUB than times better for you: not in time for breakfast in BFS but maybe earlier than the alternatives.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb
BA will typically allow you to shift to a different origin within 300 miles. So you could possibly switch to SIN-LHR.

Or is there a LHR-DUB than times better for you: not in time for breakfast in BFS but maybe earlier than the alternatives.
Thanks Paul. It looks like SIN might be the only option at the Asia side in that case, I’ll give them a call and see what is on offer now that I have some idea of realistic routings.

DUB is a no go for us. We used BA because they fly from an airport 5 minutes from our house and so we wouldn’t have to deal with Dublin’s tortoise speed baggage delivery and a 2 hour bus journey after ~16 hours of overnight flying.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For more advice on how to handle schedule changes, there is a guide in the BA Forum Dashboard. One factor to bear in mind is that the flight changes may continue to be adjusted over the next few days, so there may be further changes shortly.

Aer Lingus does have a lounge in T2 you can potentially use, if that was your concern.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
We definitely need two master threads; Autumn Timetable Change Queries & Spring Timetable Change Queries
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For more advice on how to handle schedule changes, there is a guide in the BA Forum Dashboard. One factor to bear in mind is that the flight changes may continue to be adjusted over the next few days, so there may be further changes shortly.

Aer Lingus does have a lounge in T2 you can potentially use, if that was your concern.
Thanks c-w-s I’ll have a read over that.

The main concern is getting home asap and not wasting 5 hours sitting in a lounge at LHR (which I believe I cannot access as a Silver) on the last day of our holiday. It’s pretty inconvenient and will potentially mean re-arranging a few things because we have moved to 5 minutes below MCT at LHR.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SHT88T
Thanks c-w-s I’ll have a read over that.

The main concern is getting home asap and not wasting 5 hours sitting in a lounge at LHR (which I believe I cannot access as a Silver) on the last day of our holiday. It’s pretty inconvenient and will potentially mean re-arranging a few things because we have moved to 5 minutes below MCT at LHR.
If it helps, all BAEC Silver cardholders and above get access to the EI lounge in T2 when flying Aer Lingus, whether as BA codeshare or as a straightforward Aer Lingus prime booking. There is no guesting though so if only one of you is silver only that person would have access.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
If it helps, all BAEC Silver cardholders and above get access to the EI lounge in T2 when flying Aer Lingus, whether as BA codeshare or as a straightforward Aer Lingus prime booking. There is no guesting though so if only one of you is silver only that person would have access.
Thanks Karfa, unfortunately that won’t work for us as Mrs SHT88T is Bronze. I wish I’d known that last night though. I was travelling on a BA issued ticket on Aer Lingus and was told by a check-in agent that as a BA Silver there was no lounge access. Luckily I have a priority pass and was able to escape the carnage of T2 into the total calm of the Plaza Premium Lounge.

I’ve had three poor experiences with EI recently, all on short haul. As a result, they have gone onto my list of airlines to avoid when possible. Some on here may be surprised when I say the end-to-end BA customer service experience (particularly the contact centres) has been far superior to that of Aer Lingus.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Yup, you won't get moved onto a 55 minute connection. Assuming the won't re-route you onto QR from KUL-DOH-LHR then will they rebook you onto:

MH 607 KUL SIN 19:30 20:35
BA 12 SIN LHR 23:15 05:15*
BA1414 LHR BHD 06:30 07:50

Or allow you to fly SIN-LHR-BHD?

Don't know what date specifically you're on for availability but BA 12 is the A380 terminator, so normally better availability than the 777 from Sydney.
SHT88T likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:29 am

How much do you need to be on that LHR-BHD?

you could book it as a separate ticket with all the risks that go with that. No bags.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
How much do you need to be on that LHR-BHD?

you could book it as a separate ticket with all the risks that go with that. No bags.
I don’t need it enough to take that risk

Sounds like SIN is the best of a bad bunch of options when compared to what we had. A380 though. Not keen to give up 6A/B in the small B789 CW cabin for the B777 dorm if it can be avoided.

Based on the thread c-w-s mentioned, I might sit tight for a few days and see if anything changes to make the original plan viable again.

Edit. @Sam Bee, availability looks good on BA 12. Still showing some good UD seat availability

Last edited by SHT88T; Jul 12, 2019 at 4:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.