Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight changes advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:47 am

Apologies to piggy-back onto this thread but just to save starting another.

I have had my HEL-LHR flight 're-timed'. The original departure time was 17:00. This has now been moved to 13:50 (same flight number re-timed). This doesn't work at all for me as I am travelling to Helsinki for a friends wedding which will include a brunch the day we are due to leave HEL. Hence booking the 17:00 service in the beginning. A new departure of 13:50 will mean we will miss the brunch.

I've checked ba.com and there are no later BA metal operated services but several codeshares with AY HEL-LHR including one very close to my original departure time. What are my chances of BA switching me to AY?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 108912
Apologies to piggy-back onto this thread but just to save starting another.

I have had my HEL-LHR flight 're-timed'. The original departure time was 17:00. This has now been moved to 13:50 (same flight number re-timed). This doesn't work at all for me as I am travelling to Helsinki for a friends wedding which will include a brunch the day we are due to leave HEL. Hence booking the 17:00 service in the beginning. A new departure of 13:50 will mean we will miss the brunch.

I've checked ba.com and there are no later BA metal operated services but several codeshares with AY HEL-LHR including one very close to my original departure time. What are my chances of BA switching me to AY?
As LHR-HEL is a joint business route with AY and your time change is more than 120 minutes, rebooking on an AY flight should be ok.

You may wish to book on the BA codeshare on an AY operated flight. The avios earning rate under an AY code is much less than under BA when crediting to BAEC so you don't want to lose out if you were originally booked on a BA flight number.

Also if you do change to an AY operated flight bear in mind the online seat selection via AY MMB will not work. You need to call, use the chat function at finnair.com, or send @ FinnAirHelps a DM on twitter to do any seat changes.
MarkFlies likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
To tidy up for anyone reading this in the future, the solutions offered by a very helpful member of the contact centre team;
  • A re-route KUL-SIN-LHR-BHD
  • Move date on KUL-LHR-BHD
  • A re-route HKG-LHR-BHD if we get to HKG
None of those are great for us so we are going to sleep on it.

We are starting our journey home on a separate Avios booking from MNL the night before (2115 arrival) our original flight from KUL-LHR. It is too much risk to accept the BA offer of coming home a day earlier in case of delay when we would then be on our own.

Not able to offer MNL-HKG-LHR-BHD which could get us home at the desired time because “BA don’t operate from Manila”. I asked if it was possible to put us on CX between MNL and HKG in order to minimise the inconvenience. That was a no go.

No suitable Avios availability to change our current Avios booking to get ourselves to HKG.

It’s looking like we either accept a re-route via SIN which adds extra travel time or make the layover at Heathrow 6 hours and take a later BA flight. That way we at least have lounge access and don’t have to change terminals during the layover.

Any suggestions that might sway BA to put us on a MNL-HKG-LHR-BHD route will be gratefully received
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
As LHR-HEL is a joint business route with AY and your time change is more than 120 minutes, rebooking on an AY flight should be ok.

You may wish to book on the BA codeshare on an AY operated flight. The avios earning rate under an AY code is much less than under BA when crediting to BAEC so you don't want to lose out if you were originally booked on a BA flight number.

Also if you do change to an AY operated flight bear in mind the online seat selection via AY MMB will not work. You need to call, use the chat function at finnair.com, or send @ FinnAirHelps a DM on twitter to do any seat changes.
Impressed.

After posting this question earlier today I contacted BA customer services via email. Was shocked to have a reply by this afternoon saying they will be happy to change the booking to the AY flight later in the day....which also happens to be operated by an A330. Result ^
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.