Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking JAL domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Also see if it’s worth your while getting a Yokoso fare. Any domestic flights for c10k Yen. Upgradable at check-in only for 1k Yen:

https://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/

Only requirement is that you fly into Japan on a Oneworld airline.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by _nate
If you are flying on a route which has it, JAL's domestic first class is also worth considering. An upgrade starts at 4000 yen. Whereas their business class is basically just a nicer seat, the first class offering includes an even nicer seat with food and alcohol.
I have flown F domestic on JAL, I booked F directly (so not an upgrade at the airport) and thoroughly enjoyed myself! As well as the 60TPs...

Last edited by wilsnunn; Jul 15, 2019 at 2:03 pm
Old May 7, 2021, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I continue to have issues with BA.com showing me accurate Avios availability for JL domestic flights. Some domestic routes work fine and accurately show economy (T inventory) award availability. Other routes will only show business class award availability when economy award availability clearly exists for the flight (confirmed by calling into the Executive Club and having them make the booking and/or by booking the same award flight on AA.com). And sometimes, BA.com shows me absolutely nothing available when there's definitely award space open on the routes/dates in question.

I've noticed this issue for several years. Normally, I just call in to book the flight (or use AA.com if time is critical). Has anyone else found a better workaround that will get BA.com to show accurate JL domestic award availability?

-FlyerBeek
Tofino87 likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Update: just noticed BA.com now displays the following notification when searching JL availability:

Currently, we are unable to offer Economy Class on JAL flights departing from 31 October 2021. Please call us to check availability and make a booking.
Previously, it was very hit-or-miss but some domestic routes were fairly reliable for being able to book economy awards online (HND-CTS/ITM/FUK I've all had success booking online in the past month). Besides the wait, I've had no issues booking JL domestic awards via phone twice in the last week. Make sure you remind them to remove the booking charge if they attempt to charge it when making a booking over the phone.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:51 am

Seems like the issue of making Avios bookings for JL domestic flights in economy has been resolved in the last couple of days. Three days ago I had to call-in to book, but BA.com is now offering and ticketing Avios bookings. Will still need to call if looking to book inside three days.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:15 am

BA.com is back to having issues displaying/booking JL domestic awards departing after Oct 31st. Phone agents can still book these flights. You can verify JL award space on AA.com prior to calling BA.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:57 am

Domestic JL economy awards are finally back to being bookable online at BA.com!

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:08 pm

No longer seems possible to change FFN on the AY, QR, or RJ websites. Seems to be a relatively new change. JL also says they cannot add a different FFN to an Avios booking. Any suggestions on how to replace my BA number on a Avios JL domestic award booking? Thanks.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:40 am

I travelled around Japan for 3 months in 2019 and made full use of the JAL domestic network using Avios - great value for money. Very slick domestic operation on JAL and you will get to fly on pristine high density 767s, 772s, 773s and 787s. I do remember online check-in was always an issue but boarding was always super quick, despite heavy loads, and I'm not sure Business Class is worth it. JAL generally serve just water/tea/coffee/beef consume soup (!) in all classes on domestic routes but the airports always have very good value Bento meal deals to take on board. On the longer flight to Okinawa, I think ice cream was also handed out.

Last edited by kaizenflying; Dec 4, 2021 at 3:45 am
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
I travelled around Japan for 3 months in 2019 and made full use of the JAL domestic network using Avios - great value for money. Very slick domestic operation on JAL and you will get to fly on pristine high density 767s, 772s, 773s and 787s. I do remember online check-in was always an issue but boarding was always super quick, despite heavy loads, and I'm not sure Business Class is worth it. JAL generally serve just water/tea/coffee/beef consume soup (!) in all classes on domestic routes but the airports always have very good value Bento meal deals to take on board. On the longer flight to Okinawa, I think ice cream was also handed out.
business class is totally worth it.

tho still it could be a middle seat on a full plane, the Y seat is similar to BA shorthaul Y yet class J is more like old school 90s business class or Y+ seats. Less people means more overhead space too. all for a tenner.
Maybe for ITM-HND for 50 mins inflight you don't care, but otherwise it's slightly more space. If someone spends 2-3 times miles (which isnt technically free) for long haul business price, how does 1000 yen/ 7 quid/10 bucks (or the equiv of 1000 avios) compare.

I used to redeem avios on JL Domestic a lot - before i needed their status miles. AND i still do it when I don't need the status miles. (11000 yen (80 odd quid) when tax included vs 4500/6000 avios (55-70 quid value) when you don't need the status miles...)
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:52 am

In my opinion, JL Class J is definitely worth it if you can pay the ¥1000 upgrade at the airport (assuming it's available). Or, if purchasing a domestic ticket with JL the cost difference is oftentimes equally negligible. I just don't think it's worth the additional Avios since BA increased the price recently specifically for JL Avios redemptions in Class J (up to a 45% increase, which hasn't received much mention). For example, Band 2 (651-1,150 miles) is now 24k Avios in Class J - I'd much prefer to just pay the Y award amount (10k Avios) and hope the $9 airport upgrade is available.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.