Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I got Irrops and need an advise before calling hotline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond

Hey Folks,

so I am doing my ARN-MIA TP run on a BA ticket and I got irrops due to first "maintenance" and then weather.

i was scheduled for DFW-LHR (AA50) - HEL (AY1332) - ARN (BA6043) arriving at ARN at 4:00 pm
DFW-LHR (AA50) had a late arrival at 10:40 instead of 6:55
BA rebooked me for this: BA782 to ARN departing 5 pm arriving 8:35 pm and leaving out the HEL detour.

since I have booked another flight with a LCC from ARN to TXL where I am headed to, leaving ARN at 8:00 I got it managed to get booked directly from LHR to TXL with BA986 arriving at Berlin 6:30 pm.

what do I want now? original routing credit for Avios and TP.
BA representative @ Terminal 5 told me that this would be difficult since I changed the final destination of the ticket.
I told them that this was to avoid an EU261 claimable delay (and of course of getting home by tonight).

Do you, folks, have any idea how to get the TP and Avios for the original routing?

and what does "original" mean? the routing which was booked at the very first time (ARN-HEL-LHR//LCY-JFK-CLT-MIA-MSY-PHL-LHR-HEL-ARN) or the routing which I was intended to actually fly?(ARN-HEL-LHR//LCY-JFK-MIA-MSY-DFW-LHR-HEL-ARN (got a bunch of reroutings in the process since American Airlines likes to reschedule their flights)

Sorry if anything is unclear, English isn't my first language.

Kind regards and thanks in Advance
Nephoi

Last edited by Nephoi; Jul 11, 2019 at 6:27 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Take a look at the "Original Routing Credit Beginner's Guide here - Dylanks did a great job explaining the ways to get credit for your original routing.

Good luck!
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Take a look at the "Original Routing Credit Beginner's Guide here - Dylanks did a great job explaining the ways to get credit for your original routing.

Good luck!
thanks for the link. I already knew that one but its absolutely worth a second look.

as I read it, all depends on "Where a Member is involuntarily re-routed by British Airways onto another carrier, and the original flight on which the Member was booked would have qualified for Avios points, the Member may still claim such Avios points online at ba.com."

If BA says that I voluntarily rerouted to TXL (instead accepting a reroute to ARN with a arrival 3+ hrs later than booked) I would get nothing...

so basically I wait 8 days, call and be kind and nice and a little bit persistent.

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
You changed the destination and AY may very well refuse to issue the ORC for its flight that you never took. I don't think that the argument that you saved AA some money for not claiming the EU compensation will persuade AY otherwise.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
You changed the destination and AY may very well refuse to issue the ORC for its flight that you never took. I don't think that the argument that you saved AA some money for not claiming the EU compensation will persuade AY otherwise.
but that I never took the AY flight wasn't my fault. it left LHR 25 minutes prior to my arrival. The substitute would have been an BA flight on BA metal.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Nephoi
but that I never took the AY flight wasn't my fault. it left LHR 25 minutes prior to my arrival. The substitute would have been an BA flight on BA metal.
The argument from them would be that you would have been offered rebooking on your originally intended routing, which you did not take, and chose to go elsewhere.

I think there is none due from AA in the first place because it's a non-EU carrier and the flight originated outside the EU.
Nephoi, Andriyko and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The argument from them would be that you would have been offered rebooking on your originally intended routing, which you did not take, and chose to go elsewhere.

I think there is none due from AA in the first place because it's a non-EU carrier and the flight originated outside the EU.
even if its on a BA-ticket?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:02 am

even if its on a BA-ticket?
I believe it's the operating carrier that grants the ORC rather than a ticketing carrier? (Particularly if it was booked under the AY flight number rather than under the BA flight number.) Another thing is that AY was not at fault here, the issue was with AA, so I suspect AY may be rather reluctant to help.

As for EU compensation, it is entirely on the operating carrier and ticketing carrier is not of relevance, I believe.
Nephoi, etiene and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:04 am
Original Poster

I believe it's the operating carrier that grants the ORC rather than a ticketing carrier? (Particularly if it was booked under the AY flight number rather than under the BA flight number.)

As for EU compensation, it is entirely on the operating carrier and ticketing carrier is not of relevance, I believe.

Another thing is that AY was not at fault here, the issue was with AA, so I suspect AY may be rather reluctant to help.
so basically I just try "call, ask, beg"?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:06 am

Pretty much. An alternative would be not to bother asking. I would not like your chances, considering it was a very voluntary reroute and it wasn't even to the original destination. At least you'll get the TP for LHR-TXL so the difference would be just 80 TP.

In fact, if they did not charge you to change LHR-HEL-ARN and an LCC flight ARN-TXL to LHR-TXL, they've done you a big favour already.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Pretty much. An alternative would be not to bother asking. I would not like your chances.
so just forget about the 80 TP despite being 25 TP short of silver and save both my and their time?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:10 am

so just forget about the 80 TP despite being 25 TP short of silver and save both my and their time?
Use the money you saved by not being charged to change the routing to TXL (which might have been rather substantial had you been charged) to pay for one flight in CE? Then you can get your Silver card.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Use the money you saved by not being charged to change the routing to TXL (which might have been rather substantial had you been charged) to pay for one flight in CE? Then you can get your Silver card.
lets hope they won't charge me afterwards...

yeah, I think about that. London is always worth a travel...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I don't think BAEC will beg AY on your behalf. To be honest, I would not even bother asking. You may ask if BA will give you the ARN TPs rather than the TXL TPs but even that is a long stretch due to the voluntary nature of the change.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:18 am
Original Poster

I don't think BAEC will beg AY on your behalf. To be honest, I would not even bother asking. You may ask if BA will give you the ARN TPs rather than the TXL TPs but even that is a long stretch due to the voluntary nature of the change.
in a not so frequent traveling brain its a long path from "why shouldn't they do it" to "oh, that's why.. well, of course, sounds reasonable, why am I so dumb and think that will work."...

thanks for the insight, guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.