FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   If you don't have status - How to avoid having your trolley checked in at gate? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1977640-if-you-dont-have-status-how-avoid-having-your-trolley-checked-gate.html)

BlueThroughCrimp Jul 11, 19 5:01 am

Originally Posted by SteveF (Post 31291861)
This hasn't happened to me yet, but I always have a Tesco :eek: bag for life in the trolley just in case it does so that I can remove all of the valuables, travel documents and medicines, before handing over the (now completely empty) trolley to be stored in the hold. The (extremely full) Tesco bag can then be stuffed under the seat after half of it has been first decanted into the seat pocket.

Similar idea to easyjet’s chargeable “hands free” where they give you a tote for the valuables, and check the cabin bag. (Considerably cheaper than a checking in a hold bag)

cauchy Jul 11, 19 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Daventry (Post 31291919)
Fair enough. The reason I'm asking is because we'll be in OPO-LGW on a Monday night, landing at LGW at 23:15. I just don't want to be waiting for our bags till dawn... Two weeks ago they took ages to come out in LHR T5. You could see the desperation in everyone's faces :D

But this means not bringing any Port back home...are you sure you don't want a checked bag?!

k_jupiter Jul 11, 19 6:57 pm

Any port in a storm..

Originally Posted by cauchy (Post 31292038)
But this means not bringing any Port back home...are you sure you don't want a checked bag?!

I know.... What were they thinking?

LTN Phobia Jul 11, 19 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by teledude (Post 31292005)
Just tell them your carry on contains several portable batteries.

They'll just tell you to remove them, as I've seen.

orbitmic Jul 11, 19 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 31294627)
They'll just tell you to remove them, as I've seen.

indeed. Tels forbidden in the hold will only work if 1) true and 2) you do not also have a small bag into which you could transfer them.

there is also a very small risk that if your carry on cannot be checked and there genuinely is no space you might be denied boarding which is obviously worse.

rapidex Jul 11, 19 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by cauchy (Post 31292038)

Last time I was in OPO, a few months ago after a very pleasant lunch at "Grahams" they shipped 4 cases of port back for me. Took just 1 week.

BOH Jul 12, 19 12:36 am

As someone else posted above, this time of year many of the LGW flights are mostly full with people going on a 1-2 week holiday so alot more gets checked in anyway as it is too large to be hold luggage.

Pascoe Jul 12, 19 2:12 am

IB seem to gate check my bags more and more these days. Status seems irrelevant, and boarding group also seems to hold no sway.

Agneisse Jul 12, 19 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Daventry (Post 31291780)
Hi,

We don't have status so... is booking a seat in CE the only way? Our current Economy tickets are Avios redemptions from last year IB 90k promo, I guess we'll be in boarding group 5.

Thanks.

ET Avios bookings are in Group 4, which is typically 'safe'.