BA First pricing sudden price hike

Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by fruitcage
The seat map gives no information about how many tickets have been sold.
Is that really true for F? I thought BA auto-allocates seat assignments when tickets are issued in F.

For the OPs question, F capacity has gone from 14 to 8, leading to a lot of flights without A class availability currently, hence the higher prices. That could change as BA could adjust their fare class availability for the PHX route based on various factors, but a quick reduction in capacity has definitely had an impact on F prices on this route thus far.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by alanred13
I've not used ExperFlyer before. Just signed up for the free version. Do you need Pro in order to get the F5A0 information?

Thanks all for the insights.
No, you should see it on the free version.
alanred13 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
I've not used ExperFlyer before. Just signed up for the free version. Do you need Pro in order to get the F5A0 information?

Thanks all for the insights.
Not 100% sure on the ExpertFlyer issue sorry, I thought the free version was seat info only but rapidex suggests otherwise. Maybe some confusion between the free seat alerts version and the free trial of one of the Pro options?

For occasional queries, there is a dedicated thread to that where someone with a Pro sub can look it up for you. Find it here: Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads

That tends to be more used by people flying in the immediate future and trying to read the runes regarding their free upgrade chances, but the info is the same. At the wiki at the top of the thread you'll also find links to other tools that can glean this info.

One further free method (not listed) which doesn't give you direct availability info but which you can use to infer it is ITA Matrix, which lets you restrict your searches to certain booking classes, but that's obviously a pretty slow method - e.g. you would need to look for 1 passenger restricted to A class, then 2 passengers and so on depending on what info you were trying to clean. But as a stereotypical Scotsman when I have some flexibility in my travel dates, I do find that useful as I restrict the searches to find fares in the lowest buckets (T,I,A)
alanred13 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by dylanks
Is that really true for F? I thought BA auto-allocates seat assignments when tickets are issued in F.
I just booked an award ticket in F today and wasn't automatically assigned a seat.
orbitmic, fruitcage and alanred13 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:48 am

I'm surprised more people on here aren't recommending you take the connecting option! You may even get yourself to Bronze in one trip buy doing that!
Cymro and alanred13 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:54 am

Or the OTP-PHX tier point run will get Silver
Thysk and alanred13 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
A few of the flights have shot up today. I wonder if it is an error.
I was looking at LAS in November and some that were 7000/8000 are today 13000 and some are 20000 !
For two that is
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
That ICO fine isn't going to pay itself.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond
Try clearing your cache. I just searched your exact dates, and they are avail in F for about 2,000 pounds.
https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...3*2.CAD.337063
Killian_S likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
It's an availability issue. Although it certainly shows the value in checking back just in case....^

Earlier today, for a UK Point of Sale the BA289 on 16 Jan was F5 A0, whereas as of a few moments ago it is showing F5 A2

So Revenue Management has decided to release 2 of the cheaper A fare bucket tickets on that flight again. Suggest the OP not delay!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
When you try and book it says there are 5 seats available at this price, so a maximum of 3 have been sold. (8 seat cabin)
For that to be true, all 8 seats could only be sold at the same price.

This is incorrect logic. As already shown in this thread, there are at least two different fare buckets (F and A) and even within these individual buckets, there can be different price points. An airline doesnt segment prices in this manner, and then override that by forcing the system to offer all 8 seats at a single price point.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
My mother goes to Grenada twice a year in first. It is usually ball park 2500 return. Last time it was 17000 return so she went virgin !

I am unsure who would pay 17000 for an out and out leisure destination but there you go! We often see fares of 7/8000 which either go away or we just book the following week when the fares are more normal. I would love to know who pays that kind of money but someone I assume must do?
alanred13 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
My mother goes to Grenada twice a year in first. It is usually ball park 2500 return. Last time it was 17000 return so she went virgin !

I am unsure who would pay 17000 for an out and out leisure destination but there you go! We often see fares of 7/8000 which either go away or we just book the following week when the fares are more normal. I would love to know who pays that kind of money but someone I assume must do?
i dont think ppl paid 17,000 its more miles and vouchers Id say. I think BAs revenue management system is more aggressive than other airlines, which I have to say is quite successful for them (I actually like being careful with my cashish so if BA raise their prices 10 mins after I look even with resetting cookies, I just fly another airline even if it means connecting !
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas

i dont think ppl paid 17,000 its more miles and vouchers Id say. I think BAs revenue management system is more aggressive than other airlines, which I have to say is quite successful for them (I actually like being careful with my cashish so if BA raise their prices 10 mins after I look even with resetting cookies, I just fly another airline even if it means connecting !
There are plenty of people in the UK who would pay that sort of money without a worry. If my Euromillions ticket comes up tonight I would be one of them, I might even take young KARFA on some strange tier point run if he's around.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
I've found the LHR to the US West Coast quite volatile with prices doubling from one day to the next (especially SFO) for CW and F, this makes the search on Google not accurate once you get to the pricing page to secure a ticket. I think there's lots of corporate traffic with inflexible dates pushing up demand selectively.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.