Possible new route: Sun Air LCY-Antwerp

Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Possible new route: Sun Air LCY-Antwerp

It seems that Sun Air have been awarded slots for a LCY-Antwerp service this winter. They have slots for 10x weekly service. Flybe/Stobart will stop their SEN service so they would be the only operator. Air Antwerp has also been awarded slots for a 17x weekly service but obviously they are not a live carrier atm.

Sun Air previously operated HAM from LCY (which Cityflyer took over and then dropped) and BRE which didn't last long.

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...ion-Report.pdf
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:24 am

Oh I would love this. Antwerp used to be my home airport many years ago. Such a breeze to travel through. Eight minutes drive from my apartment, free parking outside the terminal and flights closed at T-15. I used to leave home 30 minutes before the flight and make it comfortably.

I am sure almost none of that would hold true now though. But still a good option and could even be time-effective for Brussels, depending on where you are heading.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I thought there had been some discussion of Antwerp before and I found this thread from 2017 BA to ANR [Antwerp] ?

VLM were supposed to do that route but went bust in 2018.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I am sure almost none of that would hold true now though. But still a good option and could even be time-effective for Brussels, depending on where you are heading.
I cannot comment on whether your apartment has moved, but the rest is certainly not true anymore. They put up concrete walls and barriers and started charging for parking a long time ago, when VLM were still operating.

I wonder if 10 slots is all they asked for, presumably they would just do a double daily flight and not waste a precious Saturday morning + Sunday evening spot at LCY.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
It seems that Sun Air have been awarded slots for a LCY-Antwerp service this winter. They have slots for 10x weekly service. Flybe/Stobart will stop their SEN service so they would be the only operator. Air Antwerp has also been awarded slots for a 17x weekly service but obviously they are not a live carrier atm.

Sun Air previously operated HAM from LCY (which Cityflyer took over and then dropped) and BRE which didn't last long.

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...ion-Report.pdf
Love the little Sun Air BA planes, done MAN/BLL a few times, full meal service, Tickets typically aren't cheap though...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Love the little Sun Air BA planes, done MAN/BLL a few times, full meal service, Tickets typically aren't cheap though...
I would love BA to start ANR as I lived in Antwerp and have many friends there. I am however not sure the route would be sustainable if ticket prices are as expensive as on other routes operated by Sun Air.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Use this service quite frequently, but never on a revenue ticket. From what I can see they only release 2 award seats per flight, but if you can get them Sun-Air redemptions are a great use of Avios achieving even at the lower end of their fares around 3p per point. They are also eligible for Reward Flight Saver.

It's also worth noting that for redemptions (and indeed revenue bookings) the T-355 rule for seats being released does not apply. I don't know exactly when they are released (or if it's consistent) but have booked redemptions about 8 months out in the past.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by MarcD
Use this service quite frequently, but never on a revenue ticket. From what I can see they only release 2 award seats per flight, but if you can get them Sun-Air redemptions are a great use of Avios achieving even at the lower end of their fares around 3p per point. They are also eligible for Reward Flight Saver.

It's also worth noting that for redemptions (and indeed revenue bookings) the T-355 rule for seats being released does not apply. I don't know exactly when they are released (or if it's consistent) but have booked redemptions about 8 months out in the past.
Yes, only ever 2 reward seats that I've seen, this is my issue, if I take one of the kids for a Legoland Weekender no issue getting two of us on the Sun Air flight but when we go as a family, its MAN - LHR- BLL sadly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.