72 hour hold / BA holidays booking

Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
72 hour hold / BA holidays booking

I have some flights on my screen at what I consider an attractive price and there is a button to hold for 72 hours for 5. If I add a car rental, there is no longer a 'hold' button that I can see, and I understand that an online BA Holidays booking does not benefit from free cancellation within 24 hours.

So the question is - if I use the 72 hour hold facility, will I be able to add a car and turn it into a BA holidays booking when I come back to the held booking to complete it? My risk would then presumably only be that the car rental price has increased in the interim.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:19 pm

No, hold booking for a fee doesnt apply to holidays bookings and you cant amend any aspect of it (flight times/dates etc even if the same price was available when you first looked) when you go to confirm it as its no longer the booking you held. The only thing you can change is names where there are multiple passengers but you havent entered them at the point of holding the booking. They appear as the lead passengers full name then others as LASTNAME/TWO, LASTNAME/THREE so these must be updated. Reducing the cost using Avios also doesnt apply to this type of booking.

You'd need to make a choice between holding the flights and booking car hire separately or taking a risk on whether the package price goes up. There is a 24 hour cooling off period for packages booked over the phone though, I believe.
fruitcage and Anonba like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Delta Platinum medallion
Originally Posted by fruitcage
if I use the 72 hour hold facility, will I be able to add a car and turn it into a BA holidays booking when I come back to the held booking to complete it? My risk would then presumably only be that the car rental price has increased in the interim.
You can turn a non holiday booking into a holiday beyadding a car, whilst going through the booking process. I did this last week as I was flying out WT+ and back CW, which you can't do as a BA holiday booking. The booking screens offer the chance to add a car after the flights have been selected and this turns the booking into a holiday, with the bonus Avios points and deposit only option being offered, This has not always been the case - last year when I tried this adding a car didn't turn it into a deposit only required booking. Not sure if this applies to a flight only booking made using the 72 hour hold facility - would be interested to hear if this is the case.
fruitcage likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Keystone
You can turn a non holiday booking into a holiday beyadding a car, whilst going through the booking process. I did this last week as I was flying out WT+ and back CW, which you can't do as a BA holiday booking. The booking screens offer the chance to add a car after the flights have been selected and this turns the booking into a holiday, with the bonus Avios points and deposit only option being offered, This has not always been the case - last year when I tried this adding a car didn't turn it into a deposit only required booking. Not sure if this applies to a flight only booking made using the 72 hour hold facility - would be interested to hear if this is the case.
Hi you cant change a held booking once its held as its booked as flight only.

What you are talking about (in terms of adding car) is at a point in the booking process before any booking has been set up thats why it can be done that way.
fruitcage and Keystone like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thank you all. I suspected that I was trying to have my cake and eat it, and after a few hours I just booked the whole trip with car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.