Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does FlyBE + Virgin = Alternative to BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
They just status matched me to Gold but you do need to send them your last few months flying history and also have an upcoming booking in PE or Upper Class.
Obviously if your history involves no VIrgin routes they might be less willing
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
A "viable" alternative... In the near future, absolutely not. Long term, maybe, if they make the equipment changes and infrastructure changes to improve journey and transit times. But, the Dash8 will be a big problem versus connections on a larger jet with alternatives.

I have only flown FlyMayBe once from BHX to CDG and it was awful, subbed from a jet to a Dash, hassled crew because of the last minute change, massively late, big issues with hand baggage, cramped window seat and then a mess in CDG because of the late arrival and problems with bussing to the terminal.

So, for me, no, it would not offer an alternative, but I am sure if they try, Virgin will put some fur coat on the no knickers and try and fluff it up as the next sliced bread invention.
Qatar Airways likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Yes, I guess the other 'win' could be BA see the challenge and step up to it......anyway seems my FC login still works, ping them to see if they're playing the status match game.....I have some long haul business trips coming up and with Gold on BA for next cycle pretty much covered I could do something on VA if they coem up with one of these 'challenge' things.
Just pinged them myself, have one company that forces me to use VA to JFK and IAD a couple of times a year. Good response from customer services and when i emailed I got an auto-response to say they are busy with status match responses and will take at least 14 days to respond. Nice to know I guess.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
VS doesn't do direct status matches but does offer a pro rata reduction in the TPs and time period needed to get status.

Having existing bookings with VS will help them make their decision easier but they aren't going to give you Gold (with CH access etc) before you've even flown with them
According to their Twitter team, instant Gold match no issue:-

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I am pleased to confirm that we do offer a status match option. For Instant Gold, You will just need to provide proof of top tier of a competitor loyalty programme: * You will need to provide a valid, current annual statement that will show you have sufficient travel on the Virgin Atlantic (or Joint Venture) network to maintain the status. * You will need to have a future Revenue flight booked with VirginAtlantic in either Premium or Upper Class.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
well that's a change to their long standing policy.

but note the requirement that your flights on your current airline must cover VS routes

So if your routes are say LHR-ORD on BA they won't match but lots of LHR-JFK then they will.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by ajamieson
And there is only room under the seats for one trolley, so there's even a fight over foot space as well. The window seats on the Q400 are very restrictive on legroom.
I've flown from BHX to Hannover, and there was at least three sets of empty seats set aside to squeeze in all the overhead luggage which were nowhere near fitting in the miniscule overhead space.

I think the props are unavoidable, they were tended to be used on domestic and shorthaul. I found Hannover flight wonderful in the jets, but they just moved the prop over every flight, and all of a sudden I was in danger of missing last train on both sides, even with a 1.5 hour leeway and hand luggage only.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Smid
Fly a few chundering buckets to a few places on flybe and you might reconsider that as an alternative. They do fly decent jets, and the prop planes are novel, but the props often run late and have about 4 inches of overhead bins...
The jets are all going - I think all returned by the end of the year, so it'll be the little turbo-props only. They are not too bad on the short domestics, but as a connection to long haul the tiny bins are annoying.

LF
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
as a connection to long haul the tiny bins are annoying.
Especially because some connecting tickets eg Emirates are sold with an inclusive long-haul allowance. I've seen some pax being fined £50 for a carry-on 1cm too big only to see other people dragging on bags the size of a chest freezer.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
I feel like other than for a frequent flyer who exclusively flies between the UK/US this still isn't a great game-changer. It may be helpful to have additional domestic flights, but the Q400 product is dreadful and would keep me from switching compared with the domestic travel I personally do between London/Scotland.

For anyone who has frequent long-haul travel outside the US, it still won't make great sense to switch to Virgin, as their partnerships with other airlines are still lacking imo.

Good to see that they are at least starting to do status matches.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Give it a go and see what you think.
The wife and I used to fly between GLA and EZE with AF through ticketed using Flybe via BHX and CDG. First trips went well then we had three in a row where we missed the connection at CDG because of Flybe running late. AF looked after us however it meant we had to wait 24 hours in Paris for the next EZE flight. As we were on holiday we didn't get upset about it but after the third time we decided enough was enough and started using BA/IB instead.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
This year I’ve made over £1k and £600 in vouchers from Flybe in EC261... sign me up!
toothy likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:03 pm

Interesting that they have to make BHX slots available to otter airlines as the ownership would make it too much of a monopoly
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
And no mention of LON-NQY where they put the existing operator out of business by offering ridiculously low fares then jacked them up the moment it ceased operations. This alone means I have no sympathy for anything that happens to Flybe or its staff.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
well that's a change to their long standing policy.

but note the requirement that your flights on your current airline must cover VS routes

So if your routes are say LHR-ORD on BA they won't match but lots of LHR-JFK then they will.
To be honest I think VS's flying club is only useful (for status) if you're a heavy premium economy or economy delight user - I'm talking about 10 round trips per year to get gold (which is useful, whereas silver gives you basically nothing).
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Flybe Reg

Originally Posted by Smid
Fly a few chundering buckets to a few places on flybe and you might reconsider that as an alternative. They do fly decent jets, and the prop planes are novel, but the props often run late and have about 4 inches of overhead bins...

I flew flybe regularly fro LGW to NQY previously and now LHR. Have also flown Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham on numerous occasions over the last 2 years. Although 50% of my flights are delayed, the staff have always been excellent, I’ve even had a flight back to the crew homeland in Belfast re routed to NQY in order to ‘drop us off’ on the way home due to v delayed flight. Never been stitched up by them, lost money on their shares; but will continue to choose them over the train.
ajamieson likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.