Does FlyBE + Virgin = Alternative to BA

Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Does FlyBE + Virgin = Alternative to BA

Just reading some stuff around FylBe being integrated to become Virgin 'Something', now obviously a long way from clear what will happen but it got me thinking......They are talking about expanding the 'FlyBE' network and increasing hub capability to Long Haul at places like MAN (my local dep point). If that comes off and FlyBE becomes Virgin something, with their flights eligible for Flying Club credit, then does that make Flying club a good alternative option to BA Exec club, particularly for those of us not London based.

There's a few things a like about BA, however my choices to fly are based on ability to retain status and gain miles, it really doesn;t work with any of the others schemes (flying blue or *A) as I couldn't do the majority of my flying with them. However I'm finding BA hard work, losing the will to go through LHR on short haul and while I hit Gold again this year, I won;t next time round and will be burning my miles. If, and I get it's a lot of if's, the FlyBE Virgin thing panned out as I hope then that would pretty much cover most of the flying I do and could be a viable option, especially if they were handing out status matches...........anyone else having similar thoughts?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Well obviously that's exactly what the new owners are hoping for - a feeder into LHR and MAN. Now that Virgin is deeper integrated into AF/KL/DL, the idea seems slightly more robust as an alternative to BA than Virgin Red did six years ago.

However, the new owners have a lot of mess to clear up, not least a fragmented business with high staff turnover and a terrible reputation for poor reliability. They'd have to make the product (or Flying Club) pretty generous for short-haul, too.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
This is the plan, BA have had it too good for too long.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
This is the plan, BA have had it too good for too long.
Yes, I guess the other 'win' could be BA see the challenge and step up to it......anyway seems my FC login still works, ping them to see if they're playing the status match game.....I have some long haul business trips coming up and with Gold on BA for next cycle pretty much covered I could do something on VA if they coem up with one of these 'challenge' things.
noddie09 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The issue at MAN is that FlyBe and VS operate from different terminals. And I don't believe there is a airside connection from T3 > T2. So, passengers will be forced to trek over to T2 (a good 15 minute walk), and then clear the world famous Manchester security.

Once the new improved T2 is fully open, maybe FlyBe will move there. However, the original plan was to lave just Ryanair and FlyBe in T3.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:28 am

Yeah, connections at MAN would be awful. They're not even much fun for BE-BE connections. BE also uses different terminals to VS at LHR, so that's at least two buses in each direction.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The thought is there, but with no schedule from JER to LHR/LGW it rather restrict my options for connecting to l/h.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:38 am

Ive noticed on my work booking system that Flybe flights from EDI - LCY have an option to buy as a Virgin codeshare but not the EDI - LHR flybe yet.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Fly a few chundering buckets to a few places on flybe and you might reconsider that as an alternative. They do fly decent jets, and the prop planes are novel, but the props often run late and have about 4 inches of overhead bins...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The issue at MAN is that FlyBe and VS operate from different terminals. And I don't believe there is a airside connection from T3 > T2. So, passengers will be forced to trek over to T2 (a good 15 minute walk), and then clear the world famous Manchester security.
Same issue with LHR. Flybe uses T2 and VS uses T3 with a bus connection. No immediate solution as there are no domestic arrivals at T3. In fact SkyTeam is split between T3 and T4 so LHR is a mess from an integration point of view.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Smid
Fly a few chundering buckets to a few places on flybe and you might reconsider that as an alternative. They do fly decent jets, and the prop planes are novel, but the props often run late and have about 4 inches of overhead bins...
This is very true about the overhead bins.

I did a year long weekly commute on Flybe, it used to make me chuckle seeing people trying to ram their overstuffed trolley bags in. Never have I heard the phrase "you'll need to put your trolley under the seat" repeated so many times -- and the look of sheer horror on many people's faces .....
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smid
I do try to avoid the twin props, on a FlyBE 195 back from AMS on Friday evening, apart from the bin space they are pretty good and at least no middle seat to contend with. Just had a message back from Flying Club, will match BA exec gold, send statement etc and so evidence of one revenue flight in PE or UP with them.....I'm just biding time to ensure max chance of retaining once they grant it, plus I need to find a trip i can give them a go on.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by pdsuk
Never have I heard the phrase "you'll need to put your trolley under the seat" repeated so many times
And there is only room under the seats for one trolley, so there's even a fight over foot space as well. The window seats on the Q400 are very restrictive on legroom.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
VS doesn't do direct status matches but does offer a pro rata reduction in the TPs and time period needed to get status.

Having existing bookings with VS will help them make their decision easier but they aren't going to give you Gold (with CH access etc) before you've even flown with them
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think when little red was going VS were doing status matches for any BA gold passengers onboard. I wonder whether they may to the same here for a period of time?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.