FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BOS-LHR-MAN with 65-minute connection time (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1977315-bos-lhr-man-65-minute-connection-time.html)

gusg Jul 8, 2019 8:08 pm

BOS-LHR-MAN with 65-minute connection time

My wife is flying this route on Wednesday/Thursday. The booking is a single ticket. She's worried that she won't make it.

BOS-LHR BA0212 arrives T5 at 06:50
LHR-MAN BA1370 departs T5 at 07:55

She has both US and Irish passports. She entered the API using the US passport. Would there be any advantage to using the Irish passport for the API? Could she even do that flying out of Boston?

She's flying MAN-PSA at 12:25 on EasyJet so she could be rebooked on LHR-MAN BA1386 departing 10:10 arriving 11:20 but then she would have an unprotected 65-minute connection in MAN.

Is she likely to be OK? How can I prepare her if she doesn't make the connection in LHR?

ETA: She's not checking any bags. No status - BAEC Blue.

KeaneJohn Jul 8, 2019 8:22 pm

Well it’s a valid and legal connection with HBO, hopefully a lot of transatlantic flights arrive early so she should be fine. As you say on one ticket, worst case is she will be rebooked on the next flight but puts pressure on the unprotected EasyJet flight.

Can’t comment on their flexibility or ease of connection at Manchester as EasyJet goes from Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 has awful security don’t know if that’s across the board. Others here may offer further guidance but I’d potentially be looking at alternatives.

scottishpoet Jul 9, 2019 12:07 am

provided her flight into LHR is more or less on time she will be fine making that connection.

my own opinion would be to use FC, 1 because she does not have a UK passport and 2 because that way she has more chance to make the 35 minute conformance check

A P Yu Jul 9, 2019 12:20 am

Any holding at LHR and this is risky. She would be put on the next AVAILABLE flight, which may be some hours after the Eastjet had gone. Insurance should be able to cover the additional cost of a new flight if necessary

SWISSBOBBY Jul 9, 2019 12:28 am

I would enter on the Irish Passport to the UK as it is an EU passport... Go via flight connections might get an orange priority pass.
She must connect at the A gates check out the Connections Thread for maps etc.

scottishpoet Jul 9, 2019 1:08 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu (Post 31284066)
Any holding at LHR and this is risky. She would be put on the next AVAILABLE flight, which may be some hours after the Eastjet had gone. Insurance should be able to cover the additional cost of a new flight if necessary

there will be 10 to 20 minutes hold tome built into the timetable artival time, so i would not worry about a 10 min hold

DYKWIA Jul 9, 2019 1:28 am

Get her to pay £5 for FastTrack security at MAN T1 (you can buy online). That will cut security down to around 5 minutes.

rossmacd Jul 9, 2019 1:46 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 31284175)
Get her to pay £5 for FastTrack security at MAN T1 (you can buy online). That will cut security down to around 5 minutes.

I'm sure you much as anyone would know that, despite having fast track access at MAN T1, it does not guarantee a pain free security experience. If the overzealous screening means that baggage gets sent for secondary, it would be 30 minutes or more :(

DYKWIA Jul 9, 2019 2:26 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 31284215)
I'm sure you much as anyone would know that, despite having fast track access at MAN T1, it does not guarantee a pain free security experience. If the overzealous screening means that baggage gets sent for secondary, it would be 30 minutes or more :(

Not in my experience. I've only had 2 recent secondary searches, and both were pretty quick. One was immediate, and the other was about 10 minutes as there were a few bags before mine. I always take everything out that's remotely electronic, so being prepared certainly helps.

My last secondary was due to what looked like bullets in my bag... We couldn't find them even after they showed me the picture on the screen. Turns out it was my shirt collar stiffeners - thanks Charles Tyrwhitt. :)

Oaxaca Jul 9, 2019 2:33 am

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY (Post 31284075)
I would enter on the Irish Passport to the UK as it is an EU passport... Go via flight connections might get an orange priority pass.
She must connect at the A gates check out the Connections Thread for maps etc.

Now that US passport holders can in most cases use the automated passport control gates at LHR, it shouldn't really make any difference which passport is used to enter the UK in this situation.

BA212 is on a 388, so will most likely arrive into T5C, requiring the shuttle (or tunnel) dash to T5A for immigration and security before the domestic. Should still be ok, but no hanging around, at least you know the onward flight will depart T5A.

KARFA Jul 9, 2019 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca (Post 31284290)
Now that US passport holders can in most cases use the automated passport control gates at LHR, it shouldn't really make any difference which passport is used to enter the UK in this situation.

True, but if close to conformance which this one may be then as scottishpoet noted upthread you are better off heading via connections rather than landside.

Oaxaca Jul 9, 2019 2:42 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31284292)
True, but if close to conformance which this one may be then as scottishpoet noted upthread you are better off heading via connections rather than landside.

Sure. I wasn't suggesting going landside. Immigration is required at LHR either way, and there are machines at connections too, aren't there? My point was that with the introduction of automated gate access for US citizens, the passport used likely wouldn't matter (though entering and exiting the UK on the same passport would be advisable).

KARFA Jul 9, 2019 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca (Post 31284302)
Sure. I wasn't suggesting going landside. Immigration is required at LHR either way, and there are machines at connections too, aren't there?

Yes, there are now and I assume they also allow for use of US passports as the ones on the arrivals side do.

Sorry I misunderstood what you meant :)

Sam Bee Jul 9, 2019 3:08 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 31284274)
Not in my experience. I've only had 2 recent secondary searches, and both were pretty quick. One was immediate, and the other was about 10 minutes as there were a few bags before mine. I always take everything out that's remotely electronic, so being prepared certainly helps.

My last secondary was due to what looked like bullets in my bag... We couldn't find them even after they showed me the picture on the screen. Turns out it was my shirt collar stiffeners - thanks Charles Tyrwhitt. :)

I'm talking from last Sunday, but T3 at Manchester, so I cannot say whether this applies to T1. Worst most chaotic experience - it took me over 90 minutes to clear security, I was HBO. The queues were monstrous, and it seemed the x-ray machines were pulling out every 2nd bag out, and 40 had to be sniffed (wiped/put into machine - i'm not sure what the official term is!) - but this meant that queues backed up as nothing could be scanned. I arrived into Manchester expecting 90 minutes in the lounge, and made it onto the MAN-LCY as the 2nd last person to board.

I vowed i'll avoid MAN like the plague - T3 is a mess. Buy speedy boarding. Genuinely be prepared to take everything out

gusg Jul 9, 2019 4:11 am

Thanks for the tips. I've booked her seat 24E so she'll be close to the boarding door. There were exit row seats but she wouldn't like having to put her bag in the overhead or having people queueing for the lav anywhere near her.