Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA flight on crutches?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I had bad knee for a while so used assistance extensively for a year. I might have managed with crutches, but this would have been silly and risky.
It usually works like a charm. It is is an airport service, not an airline one. So, it can be airport dependent.

Note that you will usually board first (so you have to plan quite some time to arrive in time at the meeting point for wheelchairs. You will usually unboard last. But you usually get some priority lanes. Really good service usually.

I have no idea why you would need a "fit to fly" certificate if you simply use crutches.
RG1X likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:57 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
My recent experience of wheelchair assistance:

Wheelchair assistance - what do you get?
RG1X likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by RG1X
and my wife will be in the window seat, so at least I wont be dooming someone random in the case of an emergency.
Wouldn't you be better off in the window seat so your wife doesn't have to climb in / out over you? Or would shimmying across be too much for you?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
I would absolutely get a 'fit to fly' certificate before you travel. Even if you contact BA before the flight and they say you don't need one, will the agents on the return be BA employees or a third party?

The reasons you need one are varied, will any swelling occur with the change in cabin altitude, is a blood clot likely, can you sit without being in extreme discomfort etc. etc.

Your consultant or GP shouldn't charge for one.
RG1X likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by brunos
I have no idea why you would need a "fit to fly" certificate if you simply use crutches.
If it's a recent break or a new cast, there can be concerns about whether the injury will swell within the cast while in flight.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:36 am
Original Poster

No cast, so no concern there. I never seem to break anything that can be immobilised!

Originally Posted by babats
Wouldn't you be better off in the window seat so your wife doesn't have to climb in / out over you? Or would shimmying across be too much for you?
I can stand pretty well on one leg, so getting out of the way shouldn't be that much effort if she needs to go somewhere. We'll probably just work it out on the day.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by RG1X
?
You may be heartened by this report - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48947855
RG1X likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:22 am
Original Poster

So this really hasn't gone well so far. Thought I would have plenty of time but sent from the gold desks over to special assistance where I got stuck behind a complex baggage argument. Finally got seen and now have waited 20 mins for assistance.

At this rate I'll be lucky if I can make my flight. Have already given up on going to the lounge.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Magnificent, assistance said they didn't get the request. The three people there when the staff member made the call must have all gone mad then.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Finally showed up, apparently I don't get to use fast track.

Sigh.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Hilarious, upgraded for the first time ever and it's meant splitting my wife and I up as the flight is full (separate tickets) .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.