Queen of the skies my a$$

Old Jul 9, 19, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post

but my 777s do get a lot of mechanicals too!!
Just so. Indeed all aircraft are complicated electro-mechanical beasts, even before you add weather/ATC/crewing complications to the mix. It’s a minor miracle that it all works as well as it does.
Old Jul 9, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Some of BA's 744's are younger than their 777's.
orbitmic, T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 9:10 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...

Indeed, while I don't keep count, I've had both go tech on multiple occasions. I suppose some of the 744s can feel a bit more "rattly", but some of the 777s are pretty grim too. The OP has obviously had a different experience, which is entirely possible, depending on routes, equipment, frequency of flying, luck etc
Sealink and orbitmic like this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I do recall an IRROPS with AA in the USA a couple of years back. One engine refused to start after pushback ... it was a brand-new Airbus! As we were being offloaded I was able to tell the Captain they should not buy foreign aircraft.

It can happen at any time/place with any aircraft, regardless of age.
Old Jul 9, 19, 2:34 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer View Post
Ah, now yes. Undesputedly.

And I would never call her an old rust bucket past her prime.

Unlike this thing I'm sat on right now. Razor blades and dog food tins is in its future.
Oh Darling - I'm far more Concord. Before her time, fast, made heads turn, took off like a space rocket and retired gracefully.
Old Jul 9, 19, 2:42 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post

The average age of a BA 747 is very much in line with Pucci's age - mid 20s.
Mucci for you. It's waiting in the office under the stairs. Ignore the screams as my hairbrush and I teach Can I Help You how 1920s I really am. Honestly, Haley Joel Osment he isn't. He hasn't any sense left, let alone a sixth.
HIDDY, T8191, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by tmac100 View Post
Aluminium rusts?? Say what??
Unless things have changed from the last time I spoke with my airframe techhie friends, the flaps are NOT made of any rusting metal.

Yes, flying can be frustrating - BUT safety first ( as folks following the new B737 Max developments are discovering).
Aluminium can still oxidise - in a past life as a buyer of ‘manly things’ (well they were in the 1980s) I had to buy all manner of aluminium extrusions and then send them to get anodised to a minimum of 5 microns before final delivery.
Back to the Queen - she is one frame I always try for on my flights (UD) there have only been two techs that I recall, one for a navigational thingy (Thingy is a technical term) and the other to fit a windscreen wiper. Both were ex LHR and took approx 45mins each.
I have had delays longer than the flight times twice in a row on domestic AA 738s.
I guess in the end it’s the luck of the draw - hope you get your compo @GaxxyFlyer
Old Jul 9, 19, 11:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by missdimeaner View Post

Aluminium can still oxidise - in a past life as a buyer of ‘manly things’ (well they were in the 1980s) I had to buy all manner of aluminium extrusions and then send them to get anodised to a minimum of 5 microns before final delivery.
Agreed that Al oxidizes, but it does NOT rust. Fe rusts.

No point in calling an aircraft a "rustbucket" is there? Unless it is made of Fe 😉 See post #55.

That is my point - false statements should be avoided - even when upset about an inconvenient 1st world problem. 🤔
missdimeaner likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 2:19 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by tmac100 View Post
Aluminium rusts?? Say what??
Unless things have changed from the last time I spoke with my airframe techhie friends, the flaps are NOT made of any rusting metal.
Indeed, and modern flaps are usually made of glass fiber or carbon fiber reinforced plastics.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 2:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by greg5 View Post
Indeed, and modern flaps are usually made of glass fiber or carbon fiber reinforced plastics.
On a 747?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 2:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Mucci for you. It's waiting in the office under the stairs. Ignore the screams as my hairbrush and I teach Can I Help You how 1920s I really am. Honestly, Haley Joel Osment he isn't. He hasn't any sense left, let alone a sixth.
I shall wear that with pride.

Can I come and watch?
Old Jul 10, 19, 6:10 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
On a 747?
On a 744, I think the flaps and flight control surfaces are made from honeycomb fiberglass panels (maybe with kevlar?), with the wings themselves being aluminum. IIRC they were as well on the 757 and the 767. With the 777 they started with more carbon fiber reinforced plastics, including structural parts. Using CFRP parts for structure was quite controversial at the time.

Took me awhile on Google, but here's a youtube video that talks about the use of fiberglass on the 747.
The 747 bit starts at about 2:30 into it.
Old Jul 11, 19, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Quick update. BA where pretty quick and confirmed compo at €300 this morning. I can’t complain as the doors did open at 3:50 late so although frustrating, it’s correct.

maybe see about a AUP to CW tonight for the return. If I can get the $700 upgrade, this makes it about half price!
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by GaxxyFlyer; Jul 11, 19 at 6:00 am
Old Jul 11, 19, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer View Post

Quick update. BA where pretty quick and confirmed compo at €300 this morning. I can’t complain as the doors did open at 3:50 late so although frustrating, it’s correct.

maybe see about a AUP to CW tonight for the return. If I can get the $700 upgrade, this makes it about half price!
OH offered same - But stated the doors didn't open until just after 4 hours. I'm not entirely sure, is anyone able to pull the logs from BA? Not sure the correct term. I've seen them posted before.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: