Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Queen of the skies my a$$

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer

It is somewhat irritating that they won't deplane us just to make it easier to control our whereabouts. Could have had some lunch and noon cocktails.
Is this the reason they don't deplane? I've always wondered about the reason they don't deplane when I see these stories. I've been lucky, and never had a big delay while on board like OP experienced, but I'd be mad as hell if I was trapped on a plane while they work on it for hours. I get the EU compensation aspect of it they want to try to minimize, but it seems to me the pissed off customers should be their first concern considering the international travel market is crowded (unlike the US where we have an oligopoly w/ the domestic carriers). The customer is already mad there is a delay, and then you go and lock them on the plane for hours to boot. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ibmman69
The customer is already mad there is a delay, and then you go and lock them on the plane for hours to boot. Doesn't make sense to me.
I understand the issue here, and of course the USA has unusually specific legislation over just this issue. But here is the problem: because of the need to match passengers and baggage, and given that about one third of passengers have some degree of nervousness to air travel, the numbers don't work out well. Disembarkation is what pushes people over the edge ("I don't feel safe on that 'plane"). Aircraft can be fixed in an hour, but disembarkation and re-embarkation on longhaul is generally about 2 hours after baggage reconciliation is done. A 40 minute slot restriction on heavy takeoff is also quite plausible at both LHR and LGW. Finally, if someone leaves an aircraft there may well need to be a security scan and baggage reconciliation of the cabin. Every seat may need to be checked. So yes, it is best to keep everyone on board. Amazingly the USA doesn't worry about baggage reconciliation on domestic services so the process can be different there. But much as though I too don't like being kept on board, I - and more importantly BA - knows exactly what would happen. Or rather not happen.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Amazingly the USA doesn't worry about baggage reconciliation on domestic services so the process can be different there.
Are you sure about this? Is it airline specific? I've been on domestic flights in the US where we had to wait for baggage to be unloaded because a passenger didn't board.

That question aside, it sounds like it is a time and hassle issue for the airline. What I don't get about that time and hassle is flights that stopover in one city before heading on, SQ JFK to FRA flight and CX HKG to Vancouver come to mind, require everyone to deplane even if you're traveling on to the final destination.

OP said there was not much service for the passengers either. Is that standard? Could they not load extra catering while passengers wait on the plane so everyone is taken care of while the repair is completed?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I’m reminded of my experience (KIN16 trip report in my signature below) where we were actually fed on the aircraft before being disembarked for a night at the airport hotel. As CWS noted on that thread, it’s one way of stopping the pax getting restless while they sort things out!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Any truth in the rumour they meant the 747 in the Revolutionary War when there were cries of 'British Airways are coming! British Airways are coming!' ?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ibmman69
Are you sure about this?
Yes, it's at the discretion of the captain on domestics.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Any truth in the rumour they meant the 747 in the Revolutionary War when there were cries of 'British Airways are coming! British Airways are coming!' ?
The picture I saw indicated it was a British Airways 757, not a 747.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
The picture I saw indicated it was a British Airways 757, not a 747.
blooming media never get plane types right do they??
wrp96 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:19 pm

Arrival delay now showing as 4 hr 16 min with an hour to run. Looks like the compo lottery will be won.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I'm getting really fed up with these buckets. On BA 271 to Washington and we've gone back to stand because of a problem with the flaps. I haven't had a smooth flight on one of these rust buckets in years, always delays, always mechanical problems.
Aluminium rusts?? Say what??
Unless things have changed from the last time I spoke with my airframe techhie friends, the flaps are NOT made of any rusting metal.

Yes, flying can be frustrating - BUT safety first ( as folks following the new B737 Max developments are discovering).
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gcuk
Maybe €600 will go some way to easing GaxxyFlyer's dislike of the 747
I have to admit I fall into the 'rose tinted, romantic, good old days' camp that still love the 747, warts and all. I first flew on one in 1974, 45 years ago!
Must admit having been more of a long haul Y passenger over the years I find the story from the viewpoint of a J passenger a tad melodramatic.
Then again, we live in an age where technology and social media gives us the opportunity to stave of boredom by reporting live when such events occur. I suspect that's one of the reasons Flyertalk is so popular. This forum has a habit of throwing up melodramatic threads. I even remember there being several about raw BA sausages.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by tmac100
Aluminium rusts?? Say what??
Unless things have changed from the last time I spoke with my airframe techhie friends, the flaps are NOT made of any rusting metal.

Yes, flying can be frustrating - BUT safety first ( as folks following the new B737 Max developments are discovering).
see post 33, I helped the definition along as well
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I was very excited to see we were on the landor plane but then we got bused to this replacement.

Yes, very frustrating. I have a conference in the morning and could do with the sleep tonight.

Does the EU 261 compensation make the journey any easier ?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I guess we'll find out. We actually landed ten mins before the four hour mark but the arrivals board showed it landing 4:03 late so maybe there's legs.

Hiddy, sorry to come across all melodramatic blah blah blah. I was in wtp.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the time that matters is doors open and passengers able to depart the aircraft

I'd take a photo of the arrivals board / status page of the BA App / flight radar etc anything that boosts your EU261 case

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.