Collapsible buggies on BA and codeshares

Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: OneWorld
Collapsible buggies on BA and codeshares

After a bit of help from the BA travellers that also have children. I travel a lot on BA and its various codeshare airlines. I have two young children I'll need to tow along (currently 2 months and 23 months). Before new baby came along, I've usually been checking the buggy and using a sling for the airport which works a treat as I can move as fast as possible with the child in tow. Now with two this is more difficult so I'm considering a collapsible buggy or trying gatechecking again (the one time I did this so far, it was an absolute disaster).

I've a few questions for regular BA users. I've heard some friends of mine trying to claim they exclusively allow Babyzen yoyos to be brought into the cabin. Is this the case? I presumed if the travel buggy is in a case and it fits in dimensions then the cabin crew would be unlikely to single it out as a buggy.

I ask this because I am actually considering using the new Bugaboo buggy, the ant. It looks like it should also be within dimensions. The dimensions of this newest buggy are 55 x 38 x 23 cm. They do seem on the extreme ends, is it likely there would be trouble getting it overhead?

People with experience, how many times have you been asked to put the buggy in the hold anyways? Has it been damaged easily?

Basically, I am wondering if it may go in the hold anyway, perhaps gatechecking could be best. Or is it better to buy another sling and sling both children around especially since toddler LOVES to walk and has a buggy aversion currently? (My partner will be with me in most cases).
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:22 am

Hi - Welcome to FlyerTalk - I am surprised your username hasn't been used already!

We have used a BabyZen with Master LavaJava for his last 14 flights and it works very well. The bag is a must in my opinion but I don't think it's the only suitable stroller, especially as it's quite expensive. When shopping for the Zen I looked at the GB Pockit which is smaller, but doesn't feel as sturdy.

I would also say the Zen is about the largest you should go, for overhead bins.

EDIT: I like the look of the Ant, especially the ability to use like a wheelie bag. Look like it's within limits for carry on.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the viewpoint. Yes, I was pleasantly surprised this username hadn't been taken...obviously I am a fan of the BA babybus route Even the toddler has been on it!

Thanks for the viewpoint. I was also looking at the GB Pockit as an option for holiday only. I have the fullsize buggy (well, fullsize in my mind, others would disagree - it's a Bugaboo Bee) so this would be used exclusively for holidays, thus yes, the price of many is a bit offputting if it can fully replace. Since the Babyzen Yoyo doesn't parent face, it wouldn't be a suitable full replacement. Do you use yours beyond travel?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by babybus
Thanks for the viewpoint. Yes, I was pleasantly surprised this username hadn't been taken...obviously I am a fan of the BA babybus route Even the toddler has been on it!

Thanks for the viewpoint. I was also looking at the GB Pockit as an option for holiday only. I have the fullsize buggy (well, fullsize in my mind, others would disagree - it's a Bugaboo Bee) so this would be used exclusively for holidays, thus yes, the price of many is a bit offputting if it can fully replace. Since the Babyzen Yoyo doesn't parent face, it wouldn't be a suitable full replacement. Do you use yours beyond travel?
The zen is now our only buggy. Master LavaJava is just over 2. We recently sold our huge buggerboo to a couple that wanted to use it for a holiday - I thought they were a little crazy! We stopped using it after about 6 months. We don't seem to have an issue with the parent facing bit as we are far less exciting than whatever is going on in front.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
If youre travelling out of LCY or STN, the Yoyo just about fits in the overhead lockers on the E170 and E190 (takes a bit of force to close the locker but any unpleasant noises you hear are the locker and not the Yoyo!). Ive not encountered any other type of buggy on board.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can't add much to the topic on hand here, but nevertheless welcome to the BA forum here on Flyertalk babybus. I know one of the reasons that people come to this forum is to get specific information on flying with children, so I'm sure many others will benefit from the information shared here. Welcome on board.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:10 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The YoYo is definitely cabin approved, but so is the Joie Pact which is considerably cheaper (and has a larger basket underneath).

We had ours in it from 3 months and she was fine; now at 18 months, she still enjoys it!

We use it for travelling quite often, and with the one handed fold, it makes things much easier when wandering through the airport.

M
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavajava
The zen is now our only buggy. Master LavaJava is just over 2. We recently sold our huge buggerboo to a couple that wanted to use it for a holiday - I thought they were a little crazy! We stopped using it after about 6 months. We don't seem to have an issue with the parent facing bit as we are far less exciting than whatever is going on in front.
Yes, agree, can't imagine using a giant Buggerboo (nice one) for holiday! The "small" one is massive enough. Although I know many parents outward face from 6 months onwards, I oddly don't want to do that until 1 year plus. Hopefully this doesn't cause parent hatred down the line as I'm sure my oldest would've definitely agreed with 6 months onwards had it been allowed!

Originally Posted by zappomatic
If youre travelling out of LCY or STN, the Yoyo just about fits in the overhead lockers on the E170 and E190 (takes a bit of force to close the locker but any unpleasant noises you hear are the locker and not the Yoyo!). Ive not encountered any other type of buggy on board.
This is fantastic to know and an excellent piece of advice. If we look at the type of plane we should be able to know ahead of time likelihood of it being gate checked...guess we could stash a small one in checked luggage when they look too small. Have you ever had to gate check it in these circumstances? Did it come out in one piece?

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can't add much to the topic on hand here, but nevertheless welcome to the BA forum here on Flyertalk babybus. I know one of the reasons that people come to this forum is to get specific information on flying with children, so I'm sure many others will benefit from the information shared here. Welcome on board.
Thanks for the welcome CWS. Already so helpful! My partner has been on here for a long while but now seemed a good time for myself to join since this topic is my own particular point of expertise
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: BA
We took the strategy of getting a cheap collapsible folding buggy and gate checked it. Always came back in one piece and pretty rapidly.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:53 am

I have always found that gate-checking works OK, but unlike others on here mine has always ended up on the conveyor at the destination rather than the gate, even with orange labels clearly visible. It's also worth noting that apparently they never take them to the gate at LGW.
If you can get one that fits in the overheads then it's well worth doing. I've got a larger gap between my kids (4 years) so the older one is happy to walk. The younger one (turning 1 tomorrow) can go in the carrier. With two young ones it's good to have an option to push one and carry the other I expect.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:36 am

Yes, agree, can't imagine using a giant Buggerboo (nice one) for holiday! The "small" one is massive enough. Although I know many parents outward face from 6 months onwards, I oddly don't want to do that until 1 year plus. Hopefully this doesn't cause parent hatred down the line as I'm sure my oldest would've definitely agreed with 6 months onwards had it been allowed!
Seems like the Ant would be perfect then. I see it's capable of going both ways and IMO looks more sturdy than the Zen. Had it of been out at the time, I would have probably bought it however do wander how the soft parts are fitted/whether you can fold properly while attached. Seems they might be pre-order/limited availability (in the UK).

All the best with your travels.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavajava
Seems like the Ant would be perfect then. I see it's capable of going both ways and IMO looks more sturdy than the Zen. Had it of been out at the time, I would have probably bought it however do wander how the soft parts are fitted/whether you can fold properly while attached. Seems they might be pre-order/limited availability (in the UK).

All the best with your travels.
I asked after the soft parts and they seem to have thought of this. Special (of course ridiculously expensive) footmuff that allows for the fold just for that model. Buy separately rain cover too. They do know how to milk the magic money tree. Thus why it'd be OK if it replaces the buggy entirely, not so cool if it is only for travel. A lot of people were commenting on how stupid the side panels look on it, but I imagine this gives it suitcase like rigidity. Must work as they rated this one to carry 5kg extra of child vs current buggy

Looked at it in a shop and unlike the yoyo, it's handle seems quite flimsy. Not sure how well it's going to hold up popping kerbs regularly, but perhaps they must have tested that out.

Current buggy allows us to buggy board but would always be a gate check if we go that way. GB Pockit seems like it would ALWAYS be able to be put in overhead barring some unforeseen circumstance but it's size does mean quite low features. Not sure how a week or two of holiday would be with it.

The yoyo always looked scary because I wonder how to carry the kitchen sink of baby stuff with it
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by malkie
We took the strategy of getting a cheap collapsible folding buggy and gate checked it. Always came back in one piece and pretty rapidly.

we took the same strategy and gave up waiting for it in LHR after 25 minutes and multiple questions.
Have since reverted to just taking our city stroller and folding it down.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: Executive Club
I have overheard BA gate staff telling passengers that their non-Yoyo pushchair was not allowed on, even though the passengers thought it would fit. YMMV.

We have been using a Cosatto Woosh, which doesn't fit in the overhead lockers but does fold up nice and small (and is therefore useful when travelling). We always gatecheck it, and we used to wait for it at the gate on arrival. Out of 8 or 10 flights, it ONCE was waiting for us when we disembarked. Other times we had to wait ages (while everyone else was getting in immigration queues), and several times it never turned up and we had to carry our daughter through the airport. It's amazing how often the orange tag "falls off" at LHR.

Anyway, what we now so is gatecheck it but don't have the orange tag - i.e. we get it at the carousel and use a sling to get the baby through the destination airport. Sometimes it goes go outsize baggage, sometimes it doesn't, but at least you know not to wait at the gate.

We have also been using a custom-made bag for it, to keep it clean and dry: https://www.cgrbikegear.co.uk/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&pro duct_id=220&category_id=7

The bag itself got damaged on our last flight into LHR but the pushchair survived. The Woosh is great - we also use it at home when we don't have space in the car for the "big" buggy.

Having said all of that, I have a friend who swears by the Yoyo, for travel and for day to day use. So there you go.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
FWIW, when my wife and I had a buggy to travel with, it was the cheapest 2nd hand deal we could find for 2 reasons 1) it didn't matter if it got damaged, 2) it didn't matter if it got lost. We always gate-checked ours and, while it wasn't a big deal to lose, it was always waiting for us at the plane door on arrival. Bugaboos are expensive even 2nd hand and I'd be reluctant to risk having to put it in the hold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.