Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Not personally concerned about compensation, as i wasn't affected by the breach, but alerted by Amex as was everyone else [I guess]. My Amex, which I use for BA and just about everything else, remained secure.

Whereas ... I used my MBNA Visa card at 4 locations in Malta back in May, and ended up with a couple of 'mystery transactions' in June! Alerted by MBNA, new card arrived within a few days [including an intervening weekend].
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:18 am

It was inevitable that they would be fined a massive amount. They are a test case for GDPR and needed punishing.

Their constant head in the sand handling of this mess probably annoys the ICO too. Certainly they are still lying about cards not being used in fraud and their constant efforts to claim they are victims is simply not correct. They were negligent and deficient.
Silver Fox, wrp96 and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:19 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
The "no fraud" claim doesn't even stand up to the most basic scrutiny. The idea that a bunch of hackers will compromise a site in order to secure names, card numbers, CVVs, basically everything needed to perform a card transaction - and then do nothing with these details - is patently absurd.
Jimmie76, wrp96 and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by 13901

The problem is that no one is admitting guilt.
Well, I think that this is why the ICO investigation was so important. Clearly, the truly guilty parties here are the hackers, but my view as I articulated previously, is that BA weren't fulfilling their responsibilities under GDPR and they need to finally internally move their corporate mindset to accepting they might have done something wrong!!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Well, I think that this is why the ICO investigation was so important. Clearly, the truly guilty parties here are the hackers, but my view as I articulated previously, is that BA weren't fulfilling their responsibilities under GDPR and they need to finally internally move their corporate mindset to accepting they might have done something wrong!!
It'd be great if they did, but I doubt it'll happen. Alex's first comment reminds me of football manager Mazzarri's every interview after his team were defeated: it's always somebody else's fault, or the ref has been too harsh, or it's a minor thing that doesn't change anything.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm very happy to see BA fined in this way and suffering huge negative publicity across all media.

My dealings with BA following the data breach were both disappointing and frustrating: they merely kept repeating that it was an illegal theft of data and refused point-blank to reimburse me for the inconvenience and out-of-pocket expenses incurred in having my cards cancelled.

I told them that I would, as a result, use BA less frequently in future. They undoubtedly hear that numerous times every single day but I kept to it - just 16 BA flights so far this year (of which 6 were RFS redemptions), compared with 60 this time last year.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
My opinion is at odds with most/all of you, but for me the size of this fine is FAR out of scale to any damage known to have been caused by the data breach. It just takes money away from investment in a business, new aircraft etc, jobs etc, and as others have said will just get added to airfares and be paid by you and I. Anti capitalist legislation at its finest, supported by those that think they need to be compensated for anything and everything.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by buddman
My opinion is at odds with most/all of you, but for me the size of this fine is FAR out of scale to any damage known to have been caused by the data breach... Anti capitalist legislation at its finest.
You call it anti-capitalist; I call it consumer protection.

As Rory Cellan-Jones says on the BBC website, "The message [to major corporations] is clear - if you don't treat your customers' data with the utmost care expect severe punishment when things go wrong."
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Then don't do Buisnes with them. They were targeted by a criminal act, suffered financial business damage as a result, and now they are being disproportionately fined. Consumer protection protects you from losing money when sellers make false claims. I suspect you suffered no damage at all except to your high horse?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by rapidex
With the fine now announced, the court case can move on. I am sure BA will now settle, and I bet it will be more than £183 million.
I’d very much doubt it unless claimants can prove a loss.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Anti capitalist legislation at its finest,l

How about don’t skimp on online security so others won’t have to deal with the consequences when frauds are committed?
Silver Fox, wrp96, u01sss3 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I imagine BA’s legal bods are already hard at work, fervently drafting their appeal to the ICO.

Seems like our fellow-poster buddman has somehow managed to get a sneak preview of their opening statement
buddman likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:04 am

I wonder how much the hackers are getting fined?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:05 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Then don't do Buisnes with them. They were targeted by a criminal act, suffered financial business damage as a result, and now they are being disproportionately fined. Consumer protection protects you from losing money when sellers make false claims. I suspect you suffered no damage at all except to your high horse?
"I left my car unlocked with the keys in the ignition and the engine running, and now somebody has stolen it. Waaaa, it's not fair".

BA chose to prioritise short term profit over ensuring it had adequate security in place, and now it is rightly paying the price. As ever their management knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Swampz64

I’d very much doubt it unless claimants can prove a loss.
There's more than an individual's financial loss [if any] at play here, surely?

What about stress/concern? And the time taken to check and ensure everything's OK? The initial impact of those certainly diminished my enjoyment of my holiday at the time it all started to happen.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.