Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Received this last night ... from SPG

BA Data Event Group Litigation - New Survey

"Thank you for your continued instruction in this matter.

You have previously completed our main survey for which we are grateful. Following the group litigation order hearing on 4 October 2019 at the High Court we do require some further information. This information is required as it has been ordered by the Court.

The information we require includes your name and billing address as entered onto BA’s website or app, the last four digits of the payment card used and the booking reference provided by BA in respect of each booking reference made which is the subject of a claim under this GLO. This information is only to be provided if known following a reasonable search of your records. Information as to what will be deemed a reasonable search is provided on the survey."

I went to complete the survey thinking i could add my multiple bookings made during the 2 Breach Periods .... Survey only allows to enter one Booking Reference.

Anyone else complete the survey?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I‘ve just done the survey ..l added both of my relevant PNRs and dates in the same field. I’m sure they can unravel it, as it’s a pretty basic survey, presumably to meet the legal requirements as a claimant under the Class Action.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by T8191
I‘vejust done the survey ..l added both BookRefs and dates in the same field. I’m sure they can unravel it, as it’s a pretty basic survey, presumably to meet the legal requirements as a claimant under the Class Action.
Yes i did have an after thought that i should have done the same .... not sure it would have handled 11 entries .

Edit - Have also alerted MODs to move my original comment to the SPG Thread.
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Just in. £20m fine imposed this morning.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Strawb
Just in. £20m fine imposed this morning.
Wow! That's a huge drop from the £183m'ish quoted. Sympathy for them due to the current financial situation or?
SxMan likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JamieABZ
Wow! That's a huge drop from the £183m'ish quoted. Sympathy for them due to the current financial situation or?
Current financial situation is the reason given.

"The fine is considerably smaller than the £183m that the ICO originally said it intended to issue back in 2019.
It said "the economic impact of Covid-19" had been taken into account."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54568784
Strawb and JamieABZ like this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by dougzz

"The fine is considerably smaller than the £183m that the ICO originally said it intended to issue back in 2019.

Next time IAG say they've received little support from UK Gov lets remind them fines for their poor behaviour are reduced due to the difficulties they find themselves in
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:08 am

Evidence?

Evidence for the prosecution.
https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/1...m-data-breach/
JamieABZ likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Or was perhaps the departure of Senor Cruz a part of the settlement, reducing the financial penalty?

£165m would be a lot of motivation for changing an unpopulat and out-of-favour CEO.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Good. Perhaps they’ll now settle the lawsuits 🙄
lhrpete, johnaalex, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I expect that there will now be a plea to reduce the costs of the law suits as the data commissioner reduced the fine.

Of course that reduction does not mean that any of us who were the victims of the data breach and BA's incompetence should in any way settle for a lesser amount. I've said from the start I will give any money to charity however I'm sure they will benefit more from the money than BA will. Had Cruz gone at the time I might have softened my stance but not now.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by dougzz

not sure I agree with this.
Surely the reduction in fine will hit the public purse to the advantage of shareholders of a private company.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I've just started reading through everything - and have a question - excuse the potential naivety - a few other things have been happening!

I was signed up with Hayes Connor.

On Sep 10th I received an email stating "As of 10 September 2020, we have transferred our Group Data Breach Claims to another law firm called Keller Lenkner UK."

I've heard nothing since - Keller Lenkner do not have any info re: BA Data Breach on their website. Can someone advise WHO i should be going to? (PM's with contacts to check welcome).

I was advised by BA I have been affected, and had the *only* fraudulent transactions of my life from my AMEX subsequently (who had refused to replace my card). So i'd like to take this forward, either an existing or new claim. But reading back i'm utterly confused as to whom is progressing the class action, and i'm not over the moon with being passed between solicitors!
Old Oct 16, 2020, 2:26 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I think it's gotten off very lightly given it is proven to have acted in a grossly negligent manner.

I don't think Cruz had the faintest idea about what was going on to result in any of this, but that in itself is a management failure and certainly those responsible at the top of BA's IT operation have got this hopelessly wrong. It's a salutary lesson in how not to outsource and manage your IT which will keep students busy for years.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Or was perhaps the departure of Senor Cruz a part of the settlement, reducing the financial penalty?

£165m would be a lot of motivation for changing an unpopulat and out-of-favour CEO.
Without wishing to sound conspiratorial, it would be rather difficult to claim that Cruz's recent departure announcement this week is entirely coincidental.
lhrpete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.