Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by T8191
As they apparently cooperated with the ICO I would see an increase as unlikely. But this is, of course, new territory.
Would you consider appealing and trying to get the fine reduced cooperating rather than just paying up?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
All the Financial institutions I deal with have become very sensitive over the last 6 months. Huge outbreak of ‘Know Your Customer’ and ‘Two Factor Authentication’. I guess I should be comforted by that.
I do some work in advising on KYC solutions. Take a look at how popular Refinitiv's 'WorldCheck' is with Banks.

The reason the Banks are so hot on this now is precisely because they are being fined to high heaven for their misdeeds. Take a look just at HSBC which set aside US$1.5 Billion to settle fines in tax evasion, and money laundering fines alone in 2018.

These dwarf a piddly £183 Million.

The Banks have been cleaning up their acts because governments want to crack down on this behaviour (and lets be honest it is a juicy source of revenue). GDPR is the beginning of the trend outside of the Banks. The UK Government netted £3 Billion in APD apparently, the potential that GDPR breaches offer could be eye-watering, especially to those who breach GDPR, and rightly so.
Tiger_lily, Kgmm77, T8191 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Nicc HK; Jul 11, 2019 at 5:51 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by stefan_nl
While true that XSS is in the top 10 of OWASP and can be trivial to detect it is not a given. XSS can be extremly hard to detect and fix.

<snip>

BA has to do better on IT but saying things like XSS is trivial to fix is to easy.
I totally agree that XSS isn't always easy to detect and fix, which is why my team put 5 person-months of effort into mitigating the risks of XSS and much penetration and vulnerability testing on my recent implementation.

At even a conservative £1.5k per person per day that's £150k to mitigate a risk, but not to totally protect against it.

However I believe that if my client were then hacked, we would be able to prove that we had taken all reasonable efforts to enable the client to protect their customers' data and would be exonerated by the ICO. For BA to be facing such a fine to me shows that they weren't able to prove that they had made reasonable efforts (or maybe even any efforts) to protect against a known vulnerability. I doubt that Alex Cruz will have a grasp of even this simple level of detail, but his CIO should, and clearly they chose to bolster profits or invest elsewhere rather than comply with the law. I'm glad it's caught up with them.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I totally agree that XSS isn't always easy to detect and fix, which is why my team put 5 person-months of effort into mitigating the risks of XSS and much penetration and vulnerability testing on my recent implementation.

At even a conservative £1.5k per person per day that's £150k to mitigate a risk, but not to totally protect against it.

However I believe that if my client were then hacked, we would be able to prove that we had taken all reasonable efforts to enable the client to protect their customers' data and would be exonerated by the ICO. For BA to be facing such a fine to me shows that they weren't able to prove that they had made reasonable efforts (or maybe even any efforts) to protect against a known vulnerability. I doubt that Alex Cruz will have a grasp of even this simple level of detail, but his CIO should, and clearly they chose to bolster profits or invest elsewhere rather than comply with the law. I'm glad it's caught up with them.
I should add that in that occurence, BA was loading scripts from other websites on their payment page for marketing purposes. There's a very easy fix for this: Don't do it!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
As they apparently cooperated with the ICO I would see an increase as unlikely. But this is, of course, new territory.
They should be fined heavily just for the “it wasn’t me Guv, we’re the victims here” attitude alone.

They obviously don’t realise how much goodwill that statement alone has cost them.
stewaran likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Worcester
According to the Guardian the fine will stay in the UK and go to the Exchequer

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-data-watchdog

Wonder where the suggestions that it would go to the EU came from and more importantly why it was suggested.
the fine does not go to the EU either. It is shared across the equivalent European ICO bodies that had residents involved in the breach. this is because the ICO was the lead body under the ‘one stop shop’ principal in GDPR so there is a single European investigation.. Same with Marriott the U.K. ICO took the lead on that breach both likely on the basis that U.K. residents weren’t the most affected.

The guardian is correct on where the U.K. portion of the fine will go but omits that this was a pan European issue and some of the fine will go to countries with affected residents, There is a BBC report that explains this better.

In the U.K. ‘our’ share of the fine will revert to the treasury.. Other nations have other rules.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

They should be fined heavily just for the “it wasn’t me Guv, we’re the victims here” attitude alone.

They obviously don’t realise how much goodwill that statement alone has cost them.
Indeed. Do they think they're fooling anyone? If my parents are anything to go by, who happened to buy a flight to visit me in mexico in the period covered, this attitude is doing BA a lot more harm than good.

A CEOs job is to maximise profits. Does anyone think that Alex Cruz is maximising profits by pissing off not only customers, but in this case a lot of his highest spending customers? If I was a shareholder I'd be asking him to go. He is clearly now only protecting himself, not the company. Trouble is, so are his superiors which is why he's still there. They're all up to their neck in it. When I think of the little mistakes everyday employees get reprimanded for, and these guys get away with this Scott free, it's disgusting. A shining example for anyone who thinks the corporate world is a meritocracy.
Dover2Golf and LBA_flyer like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by nallison

A CEOs job is to maximise profits. Does anyone think that Alex Cruz is maximising profits by pissing off not only customers, but in this case a lot of his highest spending customers? He is clearly now only protecting himself, not the company. Trouble is, so are his superiors which is why he's still there. They're all up to their neck in it.......
This.

WW hands AC the hymn sheet. And Cruz then sings from it with gusto.

wrp96, rapidex and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:42 am
Suspended

IAG share price is now higher than Monday’s opening.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:26 am

Iberia must be doing rather well
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by richardwft
People have short memories
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by richardwft
The main trigger for ups and downs on airlines is the price of oil going down or up.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
People have short memories
I'm not sure top spending customers do.

I have flown BA once since the data breach and that was already booked. I have booked nothing more and won't until there is resolution. Cruz going would speed that up a lot.
lhrpete and Tiger_lily like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I'm not sure top spending customers do.

I have flown BA once since the data breach and that was already booked. I have booked nothing more and won't until there is resolution. Cruz going would speed that up a lot.
Nice if you have the choice of carrier/route/destination etc., of course. From my POV those choices matter more than gestures which BA won’t notice, but undoubtedly make you feel better.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I also doubt BA will notice in the short term but if enough high spending customers go they very soon will and it doesn't take long for a trickle to become a flood.

Equally I don't think moving your travel is a 'gesture'. It's a loud statement of discontent with BA, probably the loudest you can make. I was affected too and can choose my airlines so I've chosen elsewhere too. Do BA care, probably not but they are losing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.