Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
All the Financial institutions I deal with have become very sensitive over the last 6 months. Huge outbreak of ‘Know Your Customer’ and ‘Two Factor Authentication’. I guess I should be comforted by that.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
All the Financial institutions I deal with have become very sensitive over the last 6 months. Huge outbreak of ‘Know Your Customer’ and ‘Two Factor Authentication’. I guess I should be comforted by that.
Sadly for BA “authentication” seems to involve providing them with extreme amounts of data rather than the standard “provide characters x, x & x”
Sealink and T8191 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JimEddie
Sadly for BA “authentication” seems to involve providing them with extreme amounts of data rather than the standard “provide characters x, x & x”
This is not always true. IME, when authenticating myself as a third party nominee, it's "please provide the second, fourth and fifth characters of your third party nominee password" (or some other selection).
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by T8191
KYC is a regulatory requirement, mostly to fight against money laundering and make sure you're not financing terrorists.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alex67500
KYC is a regulatory requirement, mostly to fight against money laundering and make sure you're not financing terrorists.
Yes, I knew that ... despite my age!

I’m a full supporter of enhanced fiscal security, even if it means I have to try to remember even more random passwords.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Is it legal for the CEO of a Company to deny that fraud/theft has taken place due to that Company's actions, when fraud/theft has clearly taken place?

Is there a legal case against BA for enabling the theft of info? The IT world has standards, and BA's IT is woefully short of those standards..............so BA enabled the theft of customer data.

It is particularly annoying to us old ones, who feel that BA have forced us to go online. I would much rather call up, and not be charged a premium for calling. Or drift in to the old Regent St office................ For instance, when I was on a BA RTW ticket, and wanted to get SWMBO and children to Bangkok from London, and me to Bangkok from the Sin stop on my RTW, the lovely folk in Regent St fixed it without breaking sweat.
lhrpete, T8191 and BAEC like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Is it legal for the CEO of a Company to deny that fraud/theft has taken place due to that Company's actions, when fraud/theft has clearly taken place?

Is there a legal case against BA for enabling the theft of info? The IT world has standards, and BA's IT is woefully short of those standards..............so BA enabled the theft of customer data.

It is particularly annoying to us old ones, who feel that BA have forced us to go online. I would much rather call up, and not be charged a premium for calling. Or drift in to the old Regent St office................ For instance, when I was on a BA RTW ticket, and wanted to get SWMBO and children to Bangkok from London, and me to Bangkok from the Sin stop on my RTW, the lovely folk in Regent St fixed it without breaking sweat.
I’m hoping that the class action focusses on that very point.
As for your changes well today you get either “That’ll be at least £300 sir” or “Computer says no”

Ancient Observer likes this.

Last edited by Tiger_lily; Jul 10, 2019 at 10:47 am
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@ Ancient Observer ... indeed, I remember going to the local Travel Agent and getting those flimsy tickets, with numerous carbon copies. That said, we did once visit the BA office here in JER, where we were largely ignored and, eventually, they were unable to answer our question anyway. Hey-Ho, back to ba.com.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

In terms of corporate liability attaching to BA ....... well I guess that’s what the ICO findings, and its proposed £183m fine, are all about.

Don’t have the expertise to comment on the merits of any legal action regarding CEO’s denials and protests of innocence etc etc.

But judging from the BA narrative thus far, the ‘case for the defence’ would seem to consist largely of a) Not sure what you mean .... I really can’t find evidence of any fraud, and b) whatever went wrong on the data front ....you’ll just have to blame it all on the hackers. .“It wasn’t me, Guv, honest”.

T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
The lovely folk in Regent St fixed it without breaking sweat.
I remember that BA Sales Office, had a prime location and I also booked my second RTW (Round The World) Ticket through them. Missing the human interaction face to face 😟
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The ICO will take into account how honest and contrite BA has been about the whole issue. The 'bad boys did this so don't blame us' defence Alex Cruz (and now the President of Marriott) is trying simply won't work.

Like in the courts if you are contrite and admit your guilt you get treated more leniently when the sentence is haned down. Deny it all - despite proof that it was you that did it - and the sentence is increased.

but any turnaround now by BA would be seen as too late to repent.
lhrpete and T8191 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

subject2load ... Indeed.

"This naughty person opened my unlocked door and stole things. Not my fault."
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
According to the Guardian the fine will stay in the UK and go to the Exchequer

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-data-watchdog

Wonder where the suggestions that it would go to the EU came from and more importantly why it was suggested.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:43 am

Is there any chance that BA's attempts to negotiate the fine down could backfire, and instead of being reduced the fine gets increased?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
Is there any chance that BA's attempts to negotiate the fine down could backfire, and instead of being reduced the fine gets increased?
As they apparently cooperated with the ICO I would see an increase as unlikely. But this is, of course, new territory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.