Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That is a very bold assertion, the first I have heard of it. Where has that been reported?
I posted a link to a very detailed technical report in the original data breach thread.

https://www.riskiq.com/blog/labs/mag...irways-breach/

From that, it would appear that the perpetrator needed direct access to a BA server to modify a JavaScript library. Unless, of course, they managed to get onto the BA server from outside the network - which would be an even bigger breach...
Howard Long likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Just had this from Hayes Connor:

Good Afternoon,

As you may be aware, the ICO has today announced that it plans to fine British Airways (BA) £183.93 million for the data breach that put your personal information at risk. Speaking about this breach, the ICO Commissioner, Elizabeth Denham commented: “People’s personal data is just that – personal. When an organisation fails to protect it from loss, damage or theft it is more than an inconvenience. That’s why the law is clear – when you are entrusted with personal data you must look after it. Those that don’t will face scrutiny from my office to check they have taken appropriate steps to protect fundamental privacy rights.” We are in receipt of all the required documentation on your case so there is nothing for you to do at the moment. We will be in touch with further updates as the case progresses and of course we are here to answer any questions that you may have via email or telephone. Kind Regards,Kingsley HayesSolicitor
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Just had this from Hayes Connor:

Good Afternoon,

As you may be aware, the ICO has today announced that it plans to fine British Airways (BA) £183.93 million for the data breach that put your personal information at risk. Speaking about this breach, the ICO Commissioner, Elizabeth Denham commented: “People’s personal data is just that – personal. When an organisation fails to protect it from loss, damage or theft it is more than an inconvenience. That’s why the law is clear – when you are entrusted with personal data you must look after it. Those that don’t will face scrutiny from my office to check they have taken appropriate steps to protect fundamental privacy rights.” We are in receipt of all the required documentation on your case so there is nothing for you to do at the moment. We will be in touch with further updates as the case progresses and of course we are here to answer any questions that you may have via email or telephone. Kind Regards,Kingsley HayesSolicitor
Yep, just had that as well.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Yep, just had that as well.
Anyone received any emails from SPG? Nothing here yet.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BAEC

Anyone received any emails from SPG? Nothing here yet.
Not a peep. I shall be patient .... the news only broke at 0730 this morning!
Ancient Observer and BAEC like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I posted a link to a very detailed technical report in the original data breach thread.

https://www.riskiq.com/blog/labs/mag...irways-breach/

From that, it would appear that the perpetrator needed direct access to a BA server to modify a JavaScript library. Unless, of course, they managed to get onto the BA server from outside the network - which would be an even bigger breach...
There are plenty of ways a determined threat actor could get access to an internal system like that without needing internal collusion.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Well deserved and as one of the many affected I can only be happy that BA eventually got punished for this, also considering the way they treated me with contempt and indifference.

On the other hand, I can't hide my concern these £183M will come from additional savings on our already strained premium products and/or higher fees...
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by frandrake
....I can't hide my concern these £183M will come from additional savings on our already strained premium products and/or higher fees...
They’ll just keep the B772s even longer and many will have already moved onto other airlines for certain routes.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
They could have bought a fully functioning new insourced IT system for £183 million.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by richardwft

They’ll just keep the B772s even longer and many will have already moved onto other airlines for certain routes.
BA need to be careful. Now that AF/KL have teamed up with Virgin, there are all of a sudden some very competitive prices out of the regions which is backed up by a decent enough product. There is no longer any need to route through LHR to get reasonable prices if one so chooses.

VS can market the hell out of said cheap fares.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
Yep, that's what annoys me the most. That my CC details get compromised is one thing, but that's quickly resolved with a new card. I consider things like full name/ DoB/ address etc in the hands of people who shouldn't have them to be more of a problem. Especially with information seemingly getting collated - so add your mobile and email(s) to that and they have a lot of info.

Exactly. I was hit with reward bookings and revenue bookings. And nearly everything was given out on a plate. I don't mind my credit card data being out there because it is fixable. I don't mind my address, email etc. being out there because not much damage can be done without credit card information and date of birth. But I do mind everything being given out in one go. And I do mind arrogance. And that's why BA hasn't seen a penny from me since last September, except in fees for reward bookings as I burn down my Avios balance.

Moving everything to Star instead of OW is not without its drawbacks - especially at non-Star hubs. But I really am happy I shifted over to Star instead of OW. And as 90% or so of my segments were BA, it's basically Lufty, Swiss and LOT getting my money now instead of BA.

Also: the LOT gold lounge in Warsaw on a quiet day is just as good as, if not better than the Cathay F lounge in T3 was prior to refurbishment. Superb food. The revamped Lufty lounges hold their own food wise too. T2 Air Canada lounge betters T5 GF [as long as you don't mind the walk] for breakfast. Swiss lounges are not as good as you might expect them to be. And at non-Star hubs if you are Star Gold and flying economy, fast-track is not guaranteed. [Or lounge access either if you are flying SAS]. Basically: there are more quirks with Star than with OW. But on balance, for me anyway, moving to Star betters the 90% or so of segments I took with BA as OWE. And if Lufty, Swiss, or LOT give away all my information in one go I'll stop using them too.

Last edited by abitwild; Jul 8, 2019 at 12:27 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by contractor
There are plenty of ways a determined threat actor could get access to an internal system like that without needing internal collusion.
Yes, if the BA security is even laxer than possibly imagined.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Bring back the era of non IT days when you could pop into your local British Airways travel shop, hand over the cash or cheque and that was that, all done

Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
By way of clarification:

The ICO has power to fine up to £20M or up to 4.5% of turnover whichever is greatest meaning the maximum penalty BA faced was £549M.
Just a slight correction, the higher maximum is €20m, or the Sterling equivalent (which obviously isn’t that far off £20m these days), or 4% of the preceding years global turnover - not 4.5%. Though whichever is greatest, as you say.

There’s also a lower maximum of €10m (or equivalent)/2% of the preceding years global turnover, but that wouldn’t be what’s being used here
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by PETER01
Bring back the era of non IT days when you could pop into your local British Airways travel shop, hand over the cash or cheque and that was that, all done

Whats a Cheque?
Dover2Golf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.