Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC
XSS vulnerabilities feature in the OWASP Top 10, and are trivial to identify using free web application scanners.

BA are clearly accountable for this. They simply did not care enough to protect our data - and sadly nor do many other major UK organisations...

Recent research published suggests the average FTSE250 organisation exposes 35 different attack surfaces, which when fingerprinted were often found to be using outdated or unsupported web server software.

To reiterate another posts point - if BA have this level of appetite for risk i.e. "Surely that won't happen to us" - What can we expect from their aircraft engineering programme?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1010101
This ICO fine confirms the wrong doing and opens up the possibility of a lot more to come from lawsuits.

IAG shares have been going down and under-performing vs. the industry for sometime. Cruz will getting worried at this point i'd think.
AC has ultimately failed.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
Funny that... I could have sworn Amex told me before BA did!
I too was advised by Amex well ahead of any communications from BA.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The ICO won’t like the Cruz comments basically denying any fraud (which are clearly incorrect).

Some contrition is needed from BA not bluster.
DYKWIA, Silver Fox, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by SonTech
Sometimes I look at these fines and think 'What next someone getting fined because there house got broken in to? '
If a company is negligent on a gross scale then fair enough but nothing would stop a determined hacker, they would see it as a challenge.
As I mentioned some months ago when this first happened, the avenue the hackers used was a well known approach in the industry and, indeed, avoiding exactly this was a specific part of the design and penetration testing for a large website I was putting live for a client at the time. BA's approach to payment security wasn't good enough at the time and it's quite right that a detailed investigation by the ICO and others has found issues in their approach. The reason companies go online is generally to save money by allowing customers to "self-service". However doing it properly and legally still requires significant investment and BA were lacking.
wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:59 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Haven’t received any emails from SPG yet.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
In the context of the options available to the Information Commissioner (as per the relevant GPDR formula quoted by FT-er V10 at post # 19), it seems that BA could well get off rather lightly here with a figure of £183m, if - once the appeal is heard - this proposed fine, or perhaps a lesser figure, is eventually imposed.

That said, in many cases involving apparent negligence the exact level of any financial penalty is not in itself the key factor. If medical professionals are found guilty of negligence, it is very often the damage to their reputation and status that becomes the true punishment. Current BA management give every appearance of being less than protective of the the airline’s erstwhile good image, but it could be that in the longer term this image will suffer yet further as a result of the data breach, and in particular the manner in which the airline handled its impact on many customers.

ACAS talks begin today in the hope of averting a threatened strike by BALPA members. This, together with fresh media coverage surrounding the data breach - just when BA were no doubt quietly hoping that the wider world had begun to forget about the incident - is, safe to say, not the ideal backdrop to any ‘Centenary Celebrations’.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by 13901
Bill Francis, CIO. One of the mysteries I've never quite come to understand is how on Earth did Bill retain his job after the massive catalogue of failures he's racked since the inception of IAG GBS.
https://nilf2017.sched.com/speaker/b...ancis.1w8hjegx
It seems like he should've listened to what his minions were saying... (I imagine).
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:20 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
As one of the people affected I can only say I'm delighted at the way the ICO has acted. BA need to be held to account for this breach and not walk away having given a glib response (as they did when someone flicked a switch that closed the whole operation down for four days causing chaos for many people) and this fine is small in comparison to their profit margins.

If anyone is interested, I'm signed up to the class action with Hayes Connor, I've found them professional and clear and have no reservations about how they are proceeding.

https://www.hayesconnor.co.uk/

If there is any money to come, I will give it to charity, I don't want or need the money but I do want BA and their cavalier management held to account.

The only other thing I can do, I have and taken 90% of my business elsewhere.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
https://nilf2017.sched.com/speaker/b...ancis.1w8hjegx
It seems like he should've listened to what his minions were saying... (I imagine).
There were a lot of concerned comments, not just from the minions but from pretty senior people too. And from partners and stakeholders who'd gone the same way that IAG had, only to revert after massive problems were found. No one denies things needed changing; an airline cannot have its own IT arm building software, much like in the days of FLY (or, before that, PRS). But mistakes were made. Why didn't BA outsource first its data centres - say to AWS - and then its people? Why did they let go of thousands of years of expertise in building and maintaining a highly bespoke architecture before simplyifing it? Why didn't they retain the IP of systems and architectures, leaving the 'dirty work' to suppliers, much like HAL is now doing? No, they had to outsource everything, and the results speak for themselves.

The problem is that no one is admitting guilt. I haven't heard anyone saying "Guys, we screwed up". Alex is, to this day, adamant that his "Be a dragon" thing was a good idea.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:40 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Wouldn't a better punishment be to set a figure (fixed fine) to cover the inconvenience to the individual and for the company involved (in this case IAG) to be responsible for any financial losses arising from the breach.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:41 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
The problem is that no one is admitting guilt. I haven't heard anyone saying "Guys, we screwed up". Alex is, to this day, adamant that his "Be a dragon" thing was a good idea.
Dragons leave lots of scorched earth in their wake. Quite apt, I’d say.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

The "no evidence of fraud" point by Álex Cruz is difficult to square with the evidence. I have sent to High Value Customer management a detailed list of the various fraudsters, all over the world, who have benefited from my Amex and the Bank of Ireland cards. Those cards appear on a list available for sale on the Dark Web. I am one of their customers, and I was a victim of fraud.
Absolutely. I don't fly anywhere near as much as you do but at the time I had just re-qualified for gold. But this was 'the straw that broke the camel's back' for me. And apart from flights out of T3, or from Paris, using Avios, I haven't touched BA since, and have moved everything revenue over to Star, flying from Edinburgh instead of Newcastle. Hopefully the new Newcastle to Munich route from next spring will stick.

Rant time: lawyers will make a nice bit of dosh arguing about the size of the £183m. The £183m number will more than likely be reduced in size. Lawyers will then make a nice bit of dosh arguing over that number. The people impacted will likely end up with diddly squat and the government will more than likely have found a new form of tax revenue.

My approach is similar to BA: I couldn't care less.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by abitwild; Jul 8, 2019 at 6:06 am
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC
I don’t know why but I feel slightly, ever so slightly better about BoB

More seriously this is good justice for those that were affected.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I also bailed on SPG and joined the Hayes Connor action. I've found them to be excellent, clear about what's involved and up front about the costs.

I've taken my next long haul flights to KLM, and I can't wait to try something different.

Alex IMO is being disingenuous. I'm sure that Amex would be delighted to confirm just how much attempted fraud they stopped as a result of this. I also found out from Amex way before BA deigned to send anything out.
Silver Fox and Dover2Golf like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.