Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Updated] 2018 data breach : BA fined £20 million

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
I'd hate to be the CTO who more than likely did a presentation to the board about how much money they could save by outsourcing to India.

So far we've had the turn off and on at the data centre and this breach.

And all we got was a terrible website and apps.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Whilst BA should be held to account for data breaches, this does sound like quite an excessive fine.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:37 am

£183m? Well that's the flower gone in the First class loos again...
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It appears it was some sort of inside job (somebody got direct access to the server), so not much hacking involved. It was the time it took BA to notice that's the issue. And even when they did notice, their audit trail couldn't detect who had made the change. Assuming, of course, that the perpetrator hasn't actually been caught and it's not being reported.

That is a very bold assertion, the first I have heard of it. Where has that been reported?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: SK EBS / BA Silver / BMI Gold / KLM Silver
Aside from the consequences of the breach, the ICO will be looking particularly at whether it feels BA took all reasonable precautions to protect consumer data both before the breach, during the incident, and after. Do I recall there was at least one report on this board of someone actually reporting the potential for a breach to BA and then continuing to find the hole open for quite some time? Was that ever confirmed? I'm sure there is plenty we don't know about this incident, but if BA continued to trade in knowledge of the potential hole in it's security, and if the ICO feels BA didn't do all it could to plug that hole whilst continuing to trade, the ICO will take a very dim view of it.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
BTW, in case anyone has forgotten ... aside from the financial aspects, there’s a load of other personal information now floating around happily on the dark web. Just saying.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by smudge
Aside from the consequences of the breach, the ICO will be looking particularly at whether it feels BA took all reasonable precautions to protect consumer data both before the breach, during the incident, and after. Do I recall there was at least one report on this board of someone actually reporting the potential for a breach to BA and then continuing to find the hole open for quite some time? Was that ever confirmed? I'm sure there is plenty we don't know about this incident, but if BA continued to trade in knowledge of the potential hole in it's security, and if the ICO feels BA didn't do all it could to plug that hole whilst continuing to trade, the ICO will take a very dim view of it.
This is quite likely - BA's payment page loaded scripts from external websites, most likely for marketing purposes. This could be seen and confirmed by anyone who browses their website and looks at their browser's developer tools while doing so. This is a big no-no and it is suspected that this was the method the attackers used. You just do not ever load any scripts that you don't 100% control on your payment page (and even outside your payment page, you ought to be careful about it). Difficult for BA to know when they get compromised with this method, as everything looks the same as before on their end, but they definitely ought to have known that this was bad and that they should've fixed it. This is the kind of thing one finds with the most basic of audits.
Robespierre likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I wonder how much the hackers are getting fined?
I too wonder if anybody will ever be caught for this.

Obviously, if they are, they'll be sent to jail for a very long time and probably lose everything they own. You can't send a company to jail so a fine is the next best thing. BA deserve to pay every penny of that 183m. It's not like they weren't given ample warning of their lax IT systems.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
???

Clearly any hackers if they could be found, would be arrested with criminal charges.

BA, as any company which handles financial data, has a responsibility to keep this data safe. Clearly they don't. This fine is simply a measure to apply this. To say this is unfair would be absurd - absurd would be random fines applied to companies.

I think it is just a shame that the fine wasn't higher as this will probably be negotiated down (quick and early payment, etc...).

Anyone thinking this is anti-BA, anti-capitalist, etc... would need to take a long look at themselves. They've clearly committed malpractice and for that there should be retributions. Their ability to self-govern and impose proper controls clearly has failed.
I use No Script on my browsers and that is supposed to alert you to XSS. Ironically years ago it used to flag up Lloyds Clicksafe (something designed to add a layer of protection) on BA.com as a potential cross script attempt.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:40 am
soy

Programs: various
The worst of it is that BA probably have the best software of the IAG group.
IB's is truly appalling while EI may only be safe because its so old the hackers won't understand it !
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
"We have found no evidence of fraud/fraudulent activity on accounts linked to the theft" is a comically mealy-mouthed statement in response to this and makes it seem like BA don't even understand the basic implications of what it means to hold someone's credit card details. Totally pathetic.
Comical Alex

Comical Ali

IAN-UK, DYKWIA, Tiger_lily and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
1. Deserves to be fined (well, to a sensible degree).
2. Serves it right for outsourcing things poorly.
3. However, the fine is too high IMO - none of the money goes to those breached, it goes in some other pot AFAIK.
4. There's likely to be a knock-on effect, because the company will have less money. I s'pose BA is no longer investing 6.5bn, eh? Maybe 6.3bn? Hmmm.
4. I worry about what this all means for the customer at the end of the day. And I don't think it's likely to be positive.
1. the law has a maximum of £20M OR upto 4% of turnover so 1.5% is a huge reduction and with some proper contrition from BA could very well be reduced. If the legislators wanted there to be a different maximum they would have written it in to the rules or had a lower % limit but then other people would have said that the fine was too low. The ICO obviously felt that £20m wasn't enough of a fine.
2. Agree. But there is nothing wrong per se with outsourcing IF it is properly managed with a robust contract and penalties
3. Correct. In the UK regulatory fines get paid into the Treasury and the consolidated fund. Other parts of the world have different rules on how regulatory fines can be used.
4. £183m out of £6.5b is a rounding error in a multi year capital programme.
5. Hopefully it means our personal data is held more securely by BA And that would be a positive outcome
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by T8191
BTW, in case anyone has forgotten ... aside from the financial aspects, there’s a load of other personal information now floating around happily on the dark web. Just saying.
Yep, that's what annoys me the most. That my CC details get compromised is one thing, but that's quickly resolved with a new card. I consider things like full name/ DoB/ address etc in the hands of people who shouldn't have them to be more of a problem. Especially with information seemingly getting collated - so add your mobile and email(s) to that and they have a lot of info.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
By way of clarification:

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
1. the law has a maximum of £20M OR upto 4% of turnover so 1.5% is a huge reduction and with some proper contrition from BA could very well be reduced. If the legislators wanted there to be a different maximum they would have written it in to the rules or had a lower % limit but then other people would have said that the fine was too low. The ICO obviously felt that £20m wasn't enough of a fine. ..
The ICO has power to fine up to £20M or up to 4.5% of turnover whichever is greatest meaning the maximum penalty BA faced was £549M.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
3. Correct. In the UK regulatory fines get paid into the Treasury and the consolidated fund. Other parts of the world have different rules on how regulatory fines can be used.
Whilst that statement is correct, not all of that penalty will be kept by the UK. The penalty will be divided between other EU data authorities.It is only the UJ's portion that will end up at the Treasury.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:44 am

I’m genuinely surprised by the strength of feeling on here that the fine is excessive. It’s less than 10% of one years profit!

Whilst it is perceived as a victimless crime, it isn’t, real hard money has been lost and BA is deemed partly responsible for this due to its inaction. I suspect if the customer actually had to bear the cost of the fraud in the first instance and seek recovery from BA (which effectively is what the card providers are doing) then views would change very quick.

As for the idea that this will just be added to the cost of flights, that assumes that BA are a price maker (you might want to get in touch with competition authorities re monopoly power if you have evidence to that effect) and even if they can pass on the cost, it’s still a really bad idea to reward such poor data management. Customers can always book with someone else after all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.